NBC O&O Graphics - 2021 Look S

NBC 5 Chicago

• NBC 5 Chicago changed the title to NBC O&O Graphics - 2021 Look S

WNBC last night - which was primary day in NYC, used a mix of looks.  Election coverage included many elements of Look S, while maintaining  Look N for regular stories.  What I noticed, now that we saw the Chicago roll out, is the promo for the new 7 pm news program includes a lot of Look S elements.  I'm not sure why Valerie Staub did not decide to completely roll out Look S with the election coverage -  it would have been perfect timing.

1 hour ago, NowBergen said:

WNBC last night - which was primary day in NYC, used a mix of looks.  Election coverage included many elements of Look S, while maintaining  Look N for regular stories.  What I noticed, now that we saw the Chicago roll out, is the promo for the new 7 pm news program includes a lot of Look S elements.  I'm not sure why Valerie Staub did not decide to completely roll out Look S with the election coverage -  it would have been perfect timing.

Sorry but those were not Look S elements - The lower thirds are Look N-era election styled graphics that has been in use in 2018 and 2020 across all O&Os.

Here's WRC using it as an example back in January.

image.thumb.png.6b3cb96bc4c504fe3f50c5cd01ea1231.png

Edited by ref1997
  • Like 1

Oh damm! WNBC's new 7PM newscast promo actually featured Look S graphics... this promo has been around for at least 2 weeks before WMAQ's launch. Never noticed that until now... WNBC still has Look N as I type this.

Btw the promo has LA Groove themes in it. So I'm 99% sure LA Groove will stay when Look S launches across other stations. Heck IMO LA Groove has gradually become the "signature tone" of some O&O stations given how long they've been in use. The first thing that pop up in my head when I hear LA Groove is NYC skyline...

Edited by ref1997

More flat nonsense - how much we've regressed from the Pyburn pinnacle at WNBC

Make use of light and how attractive it is on lit screens. Get rid of white backgrounds - those are made for paper, too harsh on the eye with a lit screen.

Edited by sfomspphl
  • Like 1

Weary of the flat white box look as always, but not bad! NBC again proves it self to be the best of the bunch graphically, even in the flatness era.

image.thumb.gif.f1dbc41833ebb86f489c3beeac4553eb.gif

The peackock color variant below the white box is a nice touch especially. It reminds me of the WNBC light spectrum graphics from the mid 00s:

492FA1C3-58E9-492A-98D9-A3B8CAE80AA4.jpeg

I’m glad that they eighty-sixed the white bar (except for weather) that used to occupy unnecessary real estate at the top and bottom of the screen. More of an actual picture now.

Edited by iron_lion

10 hours ago, iron_lion said:

Weary of the flat white box look as always, but not bad! NBC again proves it self to be the best of the bunch graphically, even in the flatness era.

The peackock color variant below the white box is a nice touch especially. It reminds me of the WNBC light spectrum graphics from the mid 00s:

Just to clarify that peacock variant is actually a transition as the L3 comes into view. It starts out colorful over the whole L3 then shrinks down to the bottom and transitions to 2 shades of blue and red for breaking news at the bottom. It doesn't stay that way. I was trying to capture the transition element although I really wouldn't mind seeing it like this. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, iron_lion said:

492FA1C3-58E9-492A-98D9-A3B8CAE80AA4.jpeg

I’m glad that they eighty-sixed the white bar (except for weather) that used to occupy unnecessary real estate at the top and bottom of the screen. More of an actual picture now.

Nice to see that 'glimmer' of hope graphic artists are waking up to what works well and stands the test of time

2 hours ago, NBC 5 Chicago said:

Just to clarify that peacock variant is actually a transition as the L3 comes into view. It starts out colorful over the whole L3 then shrinks down to the bottom and transitions to 2 shades of blue and red for breaking news at the bottom. It doesn't stay that way. I was trying to capture the transition element although I really wouldn't mind seeing it like this. 

It would be nice if that was the actual color scheme all the time and not just the transition. It looks really good.

29 minutes ago, NowBergen said:

Does WMAQ have an equivalent to NY Live at 11:30 am?  My question is if they do, are they using the exact same graphics package or is it modified?

It's called Chicago Today and they had/have their own package overall, though the fonts are more similar than not now.

Here's an example of what they were like in 2019.

Here's an example from today.

Not a whole lot of difference.

22 hours ago, groupwfan said:

If WCAU gets Look S, I swear to Zeus that I hope they’d add the “NOVOCOM Squares” like they did with Look F in ‘12.

I don’t want them to modify anything in this package. They need to add some skyline shots to their opens… they have kept an nbc logo in the background for over 7 years now.