MSNBC Studio 3A Remodel

freelanceproducer

For something that debuted in 2007, it aged really really well - I'm honestly surprised they've completely cleared it out rather than rework what was there. 

20 hours ago, rkolsen said:

Time for me to go check the permit office in NYC… let me see what I can find. 

Couldn’t find anything. So they’re not doing anything structural to the building. But from what I’ve heard about NBC during Comcast and even during the GE years that there was always construction going on in some part of their condominium unit. 

The original version of this set was one of my favorites. It had so much versatility and was repurposed in so many different ways with different blocking and lighting. It didn't look as interesting when they replaced half of it with video walls. My money is on the new one being almost all video walls.

A smaller "newsroom" is probably a safe bet too. I don't think it was ever much of a real newsroom. Does anyone else remember the story that they were paying people minimum wage to sit there and pretend to look busy by reading msnbc.com?

1 hour ago, Weeters said:

"First on NewscastStudio" yet posted a day after this thread...

🤔 Thinking Face Emoji

That’s at least the third time that’s happened to me. I mean I love NewscastStudio but if you’re gonna piggyback off my posts, let me at least work for you. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Another update! 

My sources tell me that the studio will not have a newsroom section like it did before. Instead, we can expect to see different parts of the studio used for different shows. 

A few things to note:

- the 90 degree video wall corner will reappear 

- the curved video wall stemming from a larger video wall will also reappear 

- expect seamless video pillars that “horseshoe” the studio (similar to what ABC’s main studio has) 

And there will be a separate studio space behind the Peacock/video wall doors below. I am not sure what for, however, my bet is VR/AR. 

Rehearsals begin in a week or two with the debut to follow.

**Just to orient you, this photo was taken facing what used to the newsroom. If you look closely in the distance, you can see the back of the video walls into the NN studio.

C3E3942C-AB90-4B64-9650-AAEAB406440F.png

I have been looking forward to the debut of the new set during this time. MSNBC does deserve a great new set and from what I have seen, it looks promising. From the sneak peeks, it has a style more in line with recent Clickspring works made for NBC, including the Nightly News studio in its first incarnation. I like the fact the multifaceted videowall with the big horseshoe extension is staying. And, I am with @TennTV1983, there is no need to have a newsroom in studio when you already an expansive space one floor up. It is sad to see newsroom designs being dispensed by videowall-led sets, but this time, it makes sense to do so. The thing is when this set will make its grand debut. Although it is scheduled for September, there's no exact date still.

14 years for a set is an incredible achievement. When it launched in 2007, coinciding with MSNBC's move to 30 Rock, it was billed as the most technologically advanced of all cable news sets. The thing is how both NBC and Clickspring managed to keep up to date over these 14 years, with numerous new elements, modifications, replacing videowalls, introducing and retiring many set pieces, introducing a breaking news booth which did not last long and even giving each show their own desks. The longevity of the set is something that needs to be given a merit, as sets are usually replaced every 3 to 5 years. This set will be sorely missed.

To conclude this, I want to ask politely if there are any updates on the construction of the set and its launch schedule. I will appreciate your response if you're entitled to do so. Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

Liking the new set from what has been seen. However, nothing will beat the former set (specially during its first years). It looks like NBC News is trying to do the best to unify all the visual styles of its new set to have something of an Art Deco-like style, which has been already implemented over at Studio 1A across the street. However, the look they developed for MSNBC reflects better these attempts (it doesn't work at 1A because it is a mess of things which have been constantly changed since 2013). The best part of the set is, with no doubt, the entrance zone which shows virtual portraits related to the show on air. The set is airy, much more simplicity and has that retro feeling all around.

EDIT: NewscastStudio confirms it is a Clickspring set, fabricated by Mystic and lighting made in-house, plus additional information about the set.

1 minute ago, jrogo said:

I will be posting screen grabs form the new studio for each show, I’ll try not to go crazy with it, but this is how Chris Hayes is using the space. 

Also, Rachel remains at home. 

B3AF30C5-569D-498D-80A2-596F801CE0A1.jpeg

AA91DB06-3B3A-49DE-A210-ED088448AC1B.jpeg

3AD2830F-66F5-4B93-9FF4-FAD4FEA15AB4.jpeg

8B7D76E3-40A1-4BF9-BAC9-75705FDB57FF.jpeg

2C1A5C1C-4AF7-47B7-82B2-BF9C257B5160.jpeg

117AA547-5E63-4875-BB96-62508D1FDABC.jpeg

BFFA19D0-B7C6-4933-9596-39E7B56F560A.jpeg

Two things to note here - Chris is using a different desk than the two we saw in the space during Deadline WH and there is an added raiser LED riser used as a tertiary video wall. 

2 hours ago, Medianext.MX said:

Liking the new set from what has been seen. However, nothing will beat the former set (specially during its first years). It looks like NBC News is trying to do the best to unify all the visual styles of its new set to have something of an Art Deco-like style, which has been already implemented over at Studio 1A across the street. However, the look they developed for MSNBC reflects better these attempts (it doesn't work at 1A because it is a mess of things which have been constantly changed since 2013). The best part of the set is, with no doubt, the entrance zone which shows virtual portraits related to the show on air. The set is airy, much more simplicity and has that retro feeling all around.

EDIT: NewscastStudio confirms it is a Clickspring set, fabricated by Mystic and lighting made in-house, plus additional information about the set.

1A is a freaking mess, it doesn’t look good at all, Clickspring really hit the nail on the head with 3A. I like how the new set looks using bright lighting but darker lighting (like on All In doesn't) show it off as well. 

If you happen to look at the Newscast Studio article you’ll get a laugh right away with “The show, which airs for two hours starting at 3 p.m. eastern, quietly launched from the new space.” Deadline Whitehouse of course begins at 4 PM Eastern. 

2 minutes ago, freelanceproducer said:

Two things to note here - Chris is using a different desk than the two we saw in the space during Deadline WH and there is an added raiser LED riser used as a tertiary video wall. 

Any idea of how many desks will be used in 3A? So far we’re at 3? it’s amazing how quickly those LED floors caught on. 

Archived