WMC launching "WMC Plus" digital channel

memnews

Can a new hyperlocal channel built on news and sports and distributed on linear and non-linear platforms work in other Gray markets? “First and foremost, it was an idea for Memphis, but we look at it as something that has a lot of tentacles, and it can really help some of our sister stations,” Mitchell says.

https://cronkitenewslab.com/broadcast/2021/06/10/wmc-plus-hyperlocal-digital-channel-stays-close-home/

Agreed, it sounds like this will mostly be used for sports anyway so I can see them having some success with it as long as they get enough exposure. The only potential hiccups I foresee are the facts that their sports director intends on retiring soon (although that may have no effect on this endeavor), and they'll likely be competing with WLMT to get the rights to many of the sporting events they seek.

28 minutes ago, memnews said:

Agreed, it sounds like this will mostly be used for sports anyway so I can see them having some success with it as long as they get enough exposure. The only potential hiccups I foresee are the facts that their sports director intends on retiring soon (although that may have no effect on this endeavor), and they'll likely be competing with WLMT to get the rights to many of the sporting events they seek.

Gray still has Raycom Sports laying around? That could be somewhere to work from, with a local/regional focus.

47 minutes ago, GoldenShine9 said:

Gray still has Raycom Sports laying around? That could be somewhere to work from, with a local/regional focus.

Yes but only showing games on BSN affiliates...

I highly doubt they would want to piss off BSN South/SportsSouth 

Archived