WXIA tweaking their graphics

Yankees4life

Not bad! Not bad at all!

And Yes! This fuckin' C Clarity has got to go.

How about a custom theme with the NBC chimes? Or, any of the syndicated NBC affiliate news packages? 

Edited by newsteam13
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Hopefully any of it left rubs off on the rest of the group.  Still a travesty how WBNS and WTHR were swallowed up by them.

As for WXIA, yes it is a nice improvement.

Yeah, but not the best execution.

• Like 1

C Clarity isn't so bad if stations don't use the a capella cuts of it. C Clarity's biggest failing is its lack of versatility and range. You don't have many options of music to use.

38 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Yeah, but not the best execution.

I'm still not a fan of the anchor reading the open where a professional VO normally would. It lacks authority and sounds too casual. Also, who decided an anchor 2-shot with a lonely spiral staircase going to nowhere in between them was a good look? From that angle at least it looks like space they didn't know what to do with so they stuck a staircase there.

4 minutes ago, GoldenShine9 said:

They are probably doing it there first since they have watched WXIA drop all the way to 4th place. I think the logo needs to change though...

I do like how they incorporated it into transitions, though.

Edited by MidwestTV
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, MidwestTV said:

I'm still not a fan of the anchor reading the open where a professional VO normally would. It lacks authority and sounds too casual.

Contracts for voice actors can cost in excess of $100,000 in a market. TEGNA designed this brand specifically with the intention of eliminating the voice acting budget... Most stations did try without but learned that it didn't work well.

I know this thread is about WXIAs graphics, but indulge me for a bit.  11Alive is a legacy brand, I get it...but come on, its 2021! The Alive branding went out in the late 80s!  Off the top of my head, KOCO in OKC and WPTA in Fort Wayne used the Alive branding in the 80s. 

Is it time to ditch the 11Alive branding? I have family in Atlanta. Of course, they are deeply dedicated to WSB, but I never hear them refer to WXIA as "11Alive." Always channel 11 or NBC.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, TexasTVNews said:

Could we see Tegna stations tweaking their graphics soon?

I doubt it. Tegna is very dedicated to the T18 look. This seems like a one-off for WXIA because they wanted something different. A few stations might decide they want it, but I don't expect it to become a group-wide thing.

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, MidwestTV said:

I doubt it. Tegna is very dedicated to the T18 look. This seems like a one-off for WXIA because they wanted something different. A few stations might decide they want it, but I don't expect it to become a group-wide thing.

Looks like WXIA is trying to match its motion graphics with the graphics/branding package done by local firm MATCHSTIC (CLICK HERE). That way, 11Alive could break away from the conformity of the Tegna T18 animation package. BRILLIANT!!!!

Edited by newsteam13
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, newsman123 said:

So are they ditching the stupid names for newscasts and going back to “news at 11”? 

Right; Morning Rush and Up Late are simply "Morning News" and "News at 11" respectively.

Now if WSB can drop that stupid "WSB Tonight" and call their late news the "Nightbeat" once again...

Edited by johnnya2k6
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, johnnya2k6 said:

Right; Morning Rush and Up Late are simply "Morning News" and "News at 11" respectively.

Now if WSB can drop that stupid "WSB Tonight" and call their late news the "Nightbeat" once again...

Yes! They had a high energy fast paced winning 11pm newscast, and turned it into some boring “wsb tonight” magazine garbage. 

• Like 1

On 6/12/2021 at 4:01 PM, TexasTVNews said:

Could we see Tegna stations tweaking their graphics soon?

No. Not for at least 3 years because of software upgrades.

On 6/12/2021 at 12:12 PM, MidwestTV said:

C Clarity isn't so bad if stations don't use the a capella cuts of it. C Clarity's biggest failing is its lack of versatility and range. You don't have many options of music to use.

I'm still not a fan of the anchor reading the open where a professional VO normally would. It lacks authority and sounds too casual. Also, who decided an anchor 2-shot with a lonely spiral staircase going to nowhere in between them was a good look? From that angle at least it looks like space they didn't know what to do with so they stuck a staircase there.

I do like how they incorporated it into transitions, though.

The whole point of the anchor reading the open is to make it sound casual.

For the most part, younger viewers don't relate to the traditional newscasts...which is why I'm extremely disappointed in WXIA for killing off Morning Rush and Up Late. In fact, I think their morning show is worse now.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

• 1 year later...

Looks pretty good. I don't think it's the start of an overhaul company wide, but maybe another options for stations to use. It could also be custom to XIA. A lot of Tegna stations have deviated from the original look lately. Enforcement of T18 guidelines isn't as stringent as it was before.

16 hours ago, Kyle R said:

what is that music? it sounds so good. 

It's possible WXIA commissioned the custom variant from the composer if they had the budget for it. Just guessing. 

I know Tegna pushed out an updated "breaking news" theme a few months ago (different from the clip above) and I've heard stations use parts of it for all types of coverage, not just breaking news.

• Like 2