9 hours ago, E. R. said:

Is there anyone who has full audio cuts of this theme? 

I think it holds up surprisingly well to this day, it wouldn't be out of place in a modern newscast.

I definitely concur! 

In fact, 6ABC WPVI Philadelphia STILL uses Move Closer to Your World, which is ALSO by Mayoham Music. Not to mention the remix version of MCTYW still in use at another ABC affiliate in another market in Pennsylvania, which is ABC 16 WNEP Scranton/Wilkes Barre. 

So whether it's the modern remixed version, or the original version, I concur that On Top Of It All will fly today in a modern newscast. If Move Closer to Your World can work in today's newscasts, then why not On Top of It All?

• Like 1

The reason that Move Closer works on WPVI and WNEP is because of nostalgia. Al Ham's music -- to his credit -- is distinctive, even for its time. But if a new station adopted it, it would be widely criticized by viewers. Al Ham's spiritual lyrics and cheesy melodies do not fit into today's culture.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dpb said:

The reason that Move Closer works on WPVI and WNEP is because of nostalgia. Al Ham's music -- to his credit -- is distinctive, even for its time. But if a new station adopted it, it would be widely criticized by viewers. Al Ham's spiritual lyrics and cheesy melodies do not fit into today's culture.

Well, "On Top of It All" isn't "Move Closer to Your World". It sounds completely different.

• 1 year later...

At last, some cuts of this package have been found. Unfortunately, I think most of them are lost or damaged. Loonis McGlohon (who collaborated with Al Ham) donated his archives to East Carolina University as part of his estate, which had two of the three reels for On Top of It All. Reel 1 wasn't included. Reel 2 had "Sticky Tape Syndrome" which likely renders that unplayable and Reel 3 is mostly intact, save for a few tracks. What's left of Reel 3 is mostly promo themes, but does include a portion of the news theme in the clear.

https://digital.lib.ecu.edu/63046 - On Top of It All Reel 3

The university also digitized a promotional reel for Part of Your Life, which is better quality than the cues on TVPMM. McGlohon and Ham created the theme for WBTV in 1974. https://digital.lib.ecu.edu/62790

Edited by capsgm2002
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, capsgm2002 said:

At last, some cuts of this package have been found. Unfortunately, I think most of them are lost or damaged. Loonis McGlohon (who collaborated with Al Ham) donated his archives to East Carolina University as part of his estate, which had two of the three reels for On Top of It All. Reel 1 wasn't included. Reel 2 had "Sticky Tape Syndrome" which likely renders that unplayable and Reel 3 is mostly intact, save for a few tracks. What's left of Reel 3 is mostly promo themes, but does include a portion of the news theme in the clear.

https://digital.lib.ecu.edu/63046 - On Top of It All Reel 3

The university also digitized a promotional reel for Part of Your Life, which is better quality than the cues on TVPMM. McGlohon and Ham created the theme for WBTV in 1974. https://digital.lib.ecu.edu/62790

Great find! I’m sending this to News Music Now and NSMA!

WOW! KICK ASS! This was a real treat for me, thank you. The vocal campaign I've never heard before. Nor, have I heard other cuts from the package, aside from the news opens on NMSA. That got my blood pumping and adrenaline going. WHOO-HOO!

14 hours ago, capsgm2002 said:

Unfortunately, I think most of them are lost or damaged

Reel 1 wasn't included. Reel 2 had "Sticky Tape Syndrome" which likely renders that unplayable and Reel 3 is mostly intact, save for a few tracks.

That's a shame.

What's left of Reel 3 is mostly promo themes, but does include a portion of the news theme in the clear.

At least we got something out of it.

• 7 months later...
11 hours ago, E. R. said:

Update: they weren't able to find Reel #1, but they were able to send the other two reels for conservation treatment and digitization:

https://digital.lib.ecu.edu/63045

https://digital.lib.ecu.edu/63046

Half of the synth cuts was used by WTHR in Indy during the mid to late 70s as their station ID (That was during their ABC era and the start of their NBC era; oh yeah, WBRC used some of this theme...)

Edited by groupwfan
🎶 "You're On Top Of It All!" [Bongos] lol

I appreciate East Carolina's efforts for getting these reels fixed (Reel 3 wasn't complete prior to this). Hopefully, Reel 1 turns up somewhere someday. FYI, I believe it is Loonis McGlohon (who donated these as part of his archives) on the piano for these and any of the Al Ham compositions.