2022 USFL Season

The Frog

The United States Football League Returns in 2022

FOX Sports to Serve as Official Broadcast Partner for the USFL

Los Angeles – Today, the United States Football League (USFL) announced that the league will officially return in the spring of 2022.

Initially launched in 1983, the USFL originally was an upstart spring football league consisting of 12 teams which featured some of the most exciting and recognizable young football stars in the country. When relaunched next year, the new USFL retains rights to key original team names.

FOX Sports will serve as the official broadcast partner for the USFL. FOX Sports also owns a minority equity stake in the company that owns the USFL.

https://www.foxsports.com/presspass/latest-news/2021/06/03/united-states-football-league-returns-2022

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

More info trickling out.

Rather than holding a minority stake as previously announced, Fox is now full owner of the new USFL. Fox Sports execs will hold positions in the league.

Fox Sports will announce today that a newly reconstituted United States Football League will kick off in April, and has named an executive team led by co-Founder Brian Woods, who had previously been CEO of The Spring League. Woods’ title will be President of Football Operations. Under him are three veteran Fox employees: NFL game analyst Daryl Johnston as Exec VP/Football Operations, Fox Sports rules analyst Mike Pereira as Head of Officiating and Edward Hartman as Exec VP/Business Operations. Hartman recently left a position at Fox Corp. to become Fox Sports Senior VP/Digital Partnerships & Wagering. Fox Sports CEO & Exec Producer Eric Shanks will serve as Chair of the USFL’s board, Fox disclosed for the first time.

An announcement in June proclaiming the return of the USFL called Fox the broadcast partner and owner of a “minority equity stake” in the company that owns the USFL. However, Fox Sports now describes the USFL as a new league “controlled” by Fox Sports through newly formed NSFL HoldCo. Fox is the sole owner of the league. 

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Daily/Morning-Buzz/2021/11/17/USFL.aspx

Some more details have been solidified: https://www.foxsports.com/stories/other/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-new-united-states-football-league-spring-2022

8 teams, 10 weeks.

One central location for the inaugural season, but teams will play at home should the league continue. 

April to June season.

Saturday and Sunday games, with the occasional Mondays and Fridays.

There were rumors of partnering with NBC, but Fox appears to be the sole broadcaster at this point.

This just all seems like a worse idea than AFL was.

On 6/16/2021 at 8:49 PM, Action Newsroom said:

The XFL 2.0, considering how successful the broadcasts were last season (personally, I found them fun and exciting), deserves a revival. This... doesn't. 

Agreed. The XFL was starting to find its legs... games were actually reasonably entertaining to watch (if not quite at an NFL level), and teams were managing to build an actual fan base. COVID screwed them bigtime.

I can't see anyone caring about a made-for-and-by-TV league with all games played in Birmingham. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Fox and NBC will simulcast the opening game.

NBC and Fox will simulcast the return of the USFL on April 16, the first time since the first Super Bowl in 1967 that two rival broadcast TV networks will both air the same live, scheduled sporting event.

For the debut simulcast, NBC Sports will handle pregame, halftime and postgame coverage, using its on-air, production, and technical personnel. Fox Sports will produce the game coverage, which both networks will carry, using its broadcasters, production, and technical staff. The same commercials will run on each network throughout the broadcast.

NBC And Fox Will Both Air USFL Opener In April, In First TV Network Sports Simulcast Since 1967

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Was NBC actually using the FOX NFL theme? I noticed FOX opened with it and I jumped over to NBC and they seemed to be using their own music for the intro.

Watching them come back from break now- each are using separate themes

Also, those dual NBC Sports/FOX Sports mic flags... what a collector's item!

1 hour ago, PhillyWatch said:

Was NBC actually using the FOX NFL theme? I noticed FOX opened with it and I jumped over to NBC and they seemed to be using their own music for the intro.

Watching them come back from break now- each are using separate themes

Also, those dual NBC Sports/FOX Sports mic flags... what a collector's item!

I was watching on NBC, and I can confirm they were using their own theme for the intro. Both networks are even using different production music going into commercial breaks. I also noticed that Fox does a hard cut to commercial, while NBC fades to black (a detail that probably nobody cares about, but I care😂)

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, AdamTheJ said:

Am I the only one who thinks XFL 2020 deserved better than five weeks? You know something, I’m upset that XFL 2020 is dead and never returning with the 2020 logo. It should in 2023, nothing should change.

Honestly there was nothing XFL 2020 could've done because it wasn't really their fault they didn't last as long as they should have, it was just simply circumstances beyond their control.