WDTN getting a new set

dabnis74

Both the set and graphics go all the way back to LIN launching both when they went HD in 2012.  Around the same time, (then) sister stations WLUK and WALA went HD with sets from FX.  WDTN stayed in the fray all the way into Media General and Nexstar, while WALA split to Meredith, and WLUK split to Sinclair when MG merged with LIN.

Due to their proximity to WCMH, I wonder if they'll get the NBC look or opt for the KOIN package?  It will probably be another one of those "corner" sets they've been launching left and right....

• 1 month later...

Finally!!… between WDTN and WHIO still using graphics from 2012 and 2013. Was starting to get kind of annoying seeing every other market transition in the new graphics and our 2 and 7 still continuing to use the same old outdated graphics package. However Sinclair has done a fantastic job with WKEF/WRGT, every time there seems to be a national package update our stations seem to get the update as well.

I’m calling it right now as soon as WDTN gets new set and graphics, CMG will update WHIO’s graphics. WHIO 7 only makes the move when other stations in the Dayton market make the move. CMG and WHIO Have become kind of lazy in the last couple years, I’m sorry but I find that very annoying!

Finally!!… between WDTN and WHIO still using graphics from 2012 and 2013. Was starting to get kind of annoying seeing every other market transition in the new graphics and our 2 and 7 still continuing to use the same old outdated graphics package. However Sinclair has done a fantastic job with WKEF/WRGT, every time there seems to be a national package update our stations seem to get the update as well.

I’m calling it right now as soon as WDTN gets new set and graphics, CMG will update WHIO’s graphics. WHIO 7 only makes the move when other stations in the Dayton market make the move. CMG and WHIO Have become kind of lazy in the last couple years, I’m sorry but I find that very annoying!

Those graphics are just…ok.  The placement of the NBC peacock on that modified logo is a bit strange, and almost too small.  If the peacock is a must, they should’ve reverted back to this version from when they rejoined NBC.

96799D6F-0D56-4F4D-B1EA-F3FC76392197.jpeg

1 hour ago, ttvn2000 said:

Those graphics are just…ok.  The placement of the NBC peacock on that modified logo is a bit strange, and almost too small.  If the peacock is a must, they should’ve reverted back to this version from when they rejoined NBC.

I remember when they debuted their set back in 2012 they dropped the peacock about a month later and made minor changes to the set, I recall there was a transition in general managers when the set was being built.

17 hours ago, ttvn2000 said:

I wonder why some Nexstar stations get these ugly forced co-brands (KRQE, WANE, etc) and others don't (WIVB, WTNH, WAVY, etc).

9 hours ago, AJClementeFan69 said:

I wonder why some Nexstar stations get these ugly forced co-brands (KRQE, WANE, etc) and others don't (WIVB, WTNH, WAVY, etc).

I don’t understand the statement. Each station has the ability to pick their graphics package and set. It’s a capital expenditure they have to make up in sales (over and beyond set goals/forecasts). When other stations go big, it usually means they can make up the gap quicker. Stations who go “small” are usually the ones without good sales and leadership support. If all of this was forced and stations didn’t have an input (clears throat: sinclair) WDTN would have the NBC graphics package instead of the modified Fox. 

6 hours ago, Sendir said:

I don’t understand the statement. Each station has the ability to pick their graphics package and set. It’s a capital expenditure they have to make up in sales (over and beyond set goals/forecasts). When other stations go big, it usually means they can make up the gap quicker. Stations who go “small” are usually the ones without good sales and leadership support. If all of this was forced and stations didn’t have an input (clears throat: sinclair) WDTN would have the NBC graphics package instead of the modified Fox. 

I'm talking about the logos.

On 7/16/2021 at 5:37 AM, ttvn2000 said:

These graphics are standard fair for Nexstar, having originally been design for KFXK and being implemented across most Fox affiliates.

On 7/16/2021 at 10:54 PM, AJClementeFan69 said:

It's quite simple actually. Creative Services are being gutted. What used to be teams of 15 are now down to about 3-5. Station art directors have no wherewithal to manage multiple packages and they are not allowed to create their own branding, not, of course, considering the fact that many in creative department are just moved over from news, without a background in marketing because that would cost the station more money to invest in their brand product. 

I don't like most Nexstar sets. They feel incredibly cheap. For instance, the lack of in-stitching on this couch indicates just how cheap of a product it is. The red is garish. This set lacks detail. The wood laminate is all the same color throughout and except for the white brick wall, this set lacks texture. This speaks to the aspect that the Nexstar designers don't understand the value of detail in design and texture. The nuance of set building is more complex this Nexstar's ham-handed approach. This stated, the location of set pieces, broadly speaking, and the selection of those pieces is the best I've seen for a Nexstar set. That is a reflection on the creative director's skills.

Archived