May 2021 Sweeps Roundup

Georgie56

1 hour ago, 24994J said:

Here's a little more insight on the very close finish in the Chicago ratings, and not through the lense of any one station's PR department. Frankly, no one should be celebrating.

https://www.robertfeder.com/2021/05/28/viewers-vanish-chicagos-late-news-ratings-race-ends-photo-finish/

YIKES @ the WBBM numbers 

48 minutes ago, NYPhillynews said:

Interesting since WRC is running an ad claiming to be #1 Most Watched Local News.

Looking at the fine print, they won the demo… WRC probably was number one in households so they can still claim “most watched”. Still worthy of congrats though for JLA. 

Any info on Cleveland's numbers?  I have a feeling WJW is going to once again come in at #1 in all of its timeslots.  I'm more interested in how WKYC, WEWS and WOIO/WUAB did.

On 5/29/2021 at 9:47 PM, Breaking News said:

...But KHOU 11 is saying something different at 10pm

Screenshot_20210529-214632_Twitter.jpg

Ooh, that poses to be bad news for KPRC.

Here in Atlanta, which has now passed Houston, Washington, and Boston to become the #7 TV market in America…it’ll be the same old BS from WSB (though WAGA and WGCL have been on their tail the last couple of years).

On 5/28/2021 at 2:25 PM, MorningNews said:

KTRK has been running promos declaring a familiar spot for the station - most watched sign-on to sign-off (for English stations).

D663B438-C567-4643-AA90-885953ECF4CB.jpeg

It doesn’t mention 11a. I guess that means KPRC wins in that slot since they’re the only other station with local news at that hour. Neither KTRK nor KHOU says whether they are citing households or a certain demo. Also notice how both promos say “English language.” That means the Spanish stations actually beat them, which has been happening for years now. 

9 hours ago, johnnya2k6 said:

Here in Atlanta, which has now passed Houston, Washington, and Boston to become the #7 TV market in America…it’ll be the same old BS from WSB (though WAGA and WGCL have been on their tail the last couple of years).

WAAAAIIIIITTTT a minute! Same old BS for SB?! What did the station ever did to you? 😆😆😆😆

A clearer picture of May sweeps in Chicago

'There’s a bigger story to emerge from Nielsen’s May sweep when you include late-news ratings for the city’s [Chicago's] two Spanish-language stations — Univision Chicago - WGBO Channel 66 & Telemundo Chicago - WSNS Channel 44 . For starters, they were the only stations in the market to increase their overall viewership year-to-year.'

On 5/28/2021 at 11:00 PM, SoFloTVClassics said:

Any word on south Florida's sweeps #?

Probably status quo, though Tampa-St. Petersburg is the larger market (#13 to Miami’s #18); there, I would say it was back and forth between WTVT and WFLA.

On 5/31/2021 at 10:59 AM, johnnya2k6 said:

I don't even believe Atlanta being #7 is legit.  2020-21 Nielsen rankings are likely going to be a flunk year of rankings because of the number of cord-cutting that occurred during the pandemic. Houston, Washington are bigger DMAs than Atlanta DMA...

6 hours ago, jero23 said:

I don't even believe Atlanta being #7 is legit.  2020-21 Nielsen rankings are likely going to be a flunk year of rankings because of the number of cord-cutting that occurred during the pandemic. Houston, Washington are bigger DMAs than Atlanta DMA...

Yes, it is legit alright according to Nielsen, as we have shot up three notches from #10: https://mediatracks.com/resources/nielsen-dma-rankings-2021

San Francisco…YOU’RE NEXT!!!!! (as more and more Californians have been leaving the state lately)

Archived