ABC changing their logo; New graphics coming for ABC owned stations

Briella

I am pretty sure WPVI is going to wait til September 1st because PHL-17, the network they produce a 10PM newscast for, just announced it is switching its affiliation from MyNetwork to The CW. It wouldn’t make sense to make new graphics for the PHL-17 broadcast when it will only last a few months.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2023 at 12:37 PM, 13 Eyewitness News said:

Do they have an previous experience making news graphics packages, because it really doesn't look like it. They tweaked the GMA look by basically taking the logo by putting it on a yellow circle. But didn't change much else, like the lower-thirds are nearly identical to before, which I like. 

I don't really think anyone can call this a "rebrand":

gma-open-title.jpgGood Morning America - Wikipedia

Vivid Zero is managed by the Principals of Stun Creative.

Edited by ABC 7 Denver
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, wofchristian said:

I am pretty sure WPVI is going to wait til September 1st because PHL-17, the network they produce a 10PM newscast for, just announced it is switching its affiliation from MyNetwork to The CW. It wouldn’t make sense to make new graphics for the PHL-17 broadcast when it will only last a few months.

I was curious if the upcoming summer intro change could be it... The news at 10 uses a title card and different time/temp bug, wouldn't seem like a huge requirement.

Will there be different rules for the CW17 era? Perhaps.

22 hours ago, wofchristian said:

Not to get too off topic, but is there anything that’s come out to suggest that WPHL will take the 10pm in house when they switch to the CW? From what I remember they were handily beating WTXF at 10pm with WPVI’s newscast, so I’m not sure why they would mess with what’s working.

Either way, I doubt that would have too much bearing on when WPVI launches the new graphics.

Edited by nycnewsjunkie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, RaleighTVBOI1 said:

ABC11 got a flatter look of it's iconic workmark or at least the red and white logo template. Red has Eyewitness the white is News. 

Would it be this? That's looks fine to me, because the logo is still unique and instantly recognizable, just 2D instead of 3D. 

WTVD.thumb.jpg.4d5b7d4f4b41f88bf33a2ebcabb49a5e.jpg

On the other hand, the sometimes used sans-serif logo for KTRK's 13 Eyewitness News looks way too generic and lacks any kind of sophistication or class. When you think of Texas, you don't think of a something that's soft and whimsical-looking. So, I think it's much more suitable for California than Channel 13. 

Edited by 13 Eyewitness News
  • Like 3
  • Concerned 3

On 6/17/2023 at 1:54 AM, ABC 7 Denver said:

Vivid Zero is managed by the Principals of Stun Creative.

They are much better at designing websites and magazines than news graphics. I guess that's why they tried to make some graphics look like web pages with tabs/arrows, tiles that swipe the screen like you would on some apps, and ellipses marks on banners that look like a more options icon. 

I was watching part of GMA this morning and noticed their weather graphics, which look a lot like WLS', aren't optimized for hot weather and triple digits. They tired to show three one hundred degree days in a row, and it looked like 101100101 instead of 101 100 101. Even the weather lady said it "looks like a serial number." The ridge of high pressure was your basic white and blue and didn't show the clockwise spin around the H either. That high pressure, which has sinking air, is the reason for the hot weather and KTRK's way of depicting it much better with a red high, which does have the clockwise arrows that spin around on the H's circle and red color gradiant all over the map. Both of those elements makes it look hot and color of the High tells you why it's hot. Whereas a blue high looks cool, and with no arrows, you don't even teach viewers which way high pressure spins let alone convey that it's the reason for the heat. 

Weather 2.png

ABC NEWS.png

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Concerned 2

Firstly, blue for high pressure and red for low pressure is the NOAA standard marking. Also, I'm fairly certain those are both just generic graphics that came with the systems... That KTRK one was designed in the weather office if it isn't a generic one. No broadcast designer would have made that.

For what it's worth, WLS is using generic WSI high/low pressure system icons...

image.png.d409b3cd0ebcc3b167e8349a45002049.png

• Like 6

12 hours ago, 13 Eyewitness News said:

The ridge of high pressure was your basic white and blue and didn't show the clockwise spin around the H either. That high pressure, which has sinking air, is the reason for the hot weather and KTRK's way of depicting it much better with a red high, which does have the clockwise arrows that spin around on the H's circle and red color gradiant all over the map. Both of those elements makes it look hot and color of the High tells you why it's hot. Whereas a blue high looks cool, and with no arrows, you don't even teach viewers which way high pressure spins let alone convey that it's the reason for the heat.

there is so much wrong here… I can’t even.

• Like 8

On 6/14/2023 at 1:44 PM, ttvn2000 said:

I wonder how this will look in Raleigh/Durham

Probably the same, I don’t know if they’ll be customizations. But i see pictures Raleigh skyline (which changing a lot so they probably have to update the pictures, the aerial shots a lot for the next few years.) as they currently do with the current opens. Maybe Downtown Raleigh, the NC state bell tower, PNC Arena, Midtown, i don’t see Durham or Chapel Hill, and Fayetteville being included. The Durham studio is getting renovated, 4pm and 5:30pm Amber Rupinta confirmed that on a Facebook live. The skyline has changed a lot.

Edited by RaleighTVBOI1
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Weeters said:

For what it's worth, WLS is using generic WSI high/low pressure system icons...

image.png.d409b3cd0ebcc3b167e8349a45002049.png

For literal decades.

1463263557_2023-06-19(3).thumb.png.eb944b82cca7816abc7456e601d6cbd8.png

Even after the hard reset new look a year ago, Chicago's weather graphics have always been rather evolutionary. Hell, there are differences in how WLS, WPVI and WTVD have implemented the weather package. Not every station is going to have the exact same everything.

• Like 5

I wonder if there is room to declutter the opens a bit. I’ve been watching WLS since the new package debuted. As a whole, it’s great and I’m excited to see it implemented at other stations, but there is A LOT happening in those opens that distracts the eye from the actual newscast name and brand. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, Weeters said:

Firstly, blue for high pressure and red for low pressure is the NOAA standard marking. That KTRK one was designed in the weather office if it isn't a generic one. No broadcast designer would have made that.

I didn't realize this would cause such a stir. I know that the typical colors are red for low pressure and blue for high pressure. It's also typical to show a low pressure system in the gulf as just the standard L, as shown in your picture too. But, how do you show the difference between a tropical low, that has a closed center of circulation and one that's doesn't? The former can become a tropical system, while the latter can't. KTRK shows it with a (L), a circle around a red L, as seen in the video. 

I don't know who made it, but KTRK has had similar looking red High pressure icons in their last 3-4 weather graphics packages, which were all made by Hothaus Creative. They do use the regular blue highs/red lows in the winter to show the upper air pattern. But the station does a lot that isn't "normal" and I always like that. We have color gradients that go up to 20" of rain. Might sound crazy, but that's happened many times in SE Texas. As seen in the video, we also have different color gradients for tropical weather, which don't look like regular radar reflectivity as there are no radars in the middle of the ocean anyway. Is this unique too? I've always hated seeing green/yellow/red color gradients on tropical systems because you aren't measuring the intensity of the rain without radar, you are only showing an enhanced satellite picture of clouds. 

10 hours ago, Briella said:

there is so much wrong here… I can’t even.

It's the way KTRK has been doing it for at least 10+ years. The map depicts the upper air pattern and temperatures aloft. The former is shown in the flow lines, and the latter with all the red around the map. The H, clearly, is high pressure, but is depicted in red to convey that it's a 'heat-ridge' and shows the way it spins--clockwise. You're trying to show life-threatening extreme heat here. A good weather graphic should tell the story just by glancing at it, and teaches viewers why what's happening is happening without saying a word. A high gives you sinking air, light winds, and clear skies. In the summer, that allows for maximum heating--and in this case dangerous heat--during the day. While in the winter, that same high will give cold temperatures because of a lack of cloud cover. 

Edited by 13 Eyewitness News
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, 13 Eyewitness News said:

but KTRK has had similar looking red High pressure icons in their last 3-4 weather graphics packages, which were all made by Hothaus Creative.

Those are generic WSI icons as well. Here they are being used on a WTOC weather map from 2019. It's extremely rare for a broadcast graphics package to have entirely custom weather graphics. Most stations just go with whatever defaults are available on the system (WSI Max, Baron Lynx, Accuweather) they have for stuff like high/low icons, hurricanes, etc.

I used to have the "menu" of icons WSI licensed out (to prevent multiple stations in the same market from using the same icons, there were 4-5 default packs that get exclusively licensed in each market) but I don't think I have it anymore.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, 13 Eyewitness News said:

Once again, you type this with such confidence when you in fact have no idea what you’re talking about when it comes to why the colors are the way they are. I’m sure you made this up in your head to justify why they are what they are but it’s just wrong.

• Like 1
  • Empathetic 1

On 6/19/2023 at 11:59 PM, Weeters said:

Those are generic WSI icons as well. Here they are being used on a WTOC weather map from 2019. It's extremely rare for a broadcast graphics package to have entirely custom weather graphics. Most stations just go with whatever defaults are available on the system (WSI Max, Baron Lynx, Accuweather) they have for stuff like high/low icons, hurricanes, etc.

WSI rang a bell. Some of the station's graphic elements are designed by IBM's The Weather Company including "Max Reality," which is augmented reality. (KTRK was one of the first stations to use augmented reality.) KTRK does change certain elements quite often and they seem to mix a lot of things together, so I can't remember how long they've been using that closed center Low. They use Baron Lynx's radar display and has that 'exclusive' (in the viewing area, at least) product that can detect hail in a storm. They've probably used everything that's available to them expect for Accuweather at one point or another, and I guess that what gives it the more "custom" look. The main thing I don't like about the GMA graphics was really that it couldn't fit triple digits and if you put a surface low pressure's L icon on a circle, without showing the spin, it makes it look like a closed center of circulation, even though it isn't.

On 6/20/2023 at 2:42 AM, Briella said:

Once again, you type this with such confidence when you in fact have no idea what you’re talking about when it comes to why the colors are the way they are. I’m sure you made this up in your head to justify why they are what they are but it’s just wrong.

Okay, please tell me why are KTRK's colors that way? Is this not a depiction of a ridge of high pressure, its so-called "Ring of Fire", and the bump in the jet steam because of the high? I know showing a high pressure in red is "wrong", but they didn't make it red for the fun of it.

On 6/19/2023 at 11:59 PM, Weeters said:

I used to have the "menu" of icons WSI licensed out (to prevent multiple stations in the same market from using the same icons, there were 4-5 default packs that get exclusively licensed in each market) but I don't think I have it anymore.

That could explain why I started seeing some of those topical system icons on another station in the same market. 

23 hours ago, 13 Eyewitness News said:

Okay, please tell me why are KTRK's colors that way? Is this not a depiction of a ridge of high pressure, its so-called "Ring of Fire", and the bump in the jet steam because of the high? I know showing a high pressure in red is "wrong", but they didn't make it red for the fun of it.

High is blue cause it's usually dry and cool, low is red cause it is warm and wet, there is no reason for the H to be red aside from someone who knows nothing about weather maps trying to be different with their artistic opinions. Hence, why I said you made up almost everything you said because you wanted to sound smart. It's not rocket science, and anyone who went to school and knows at least how to read, if not produce a weather map knows this.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/23/2023 at 7:51 PM, Briella said:

High is blue cause it's usually dry and cool, low is red cause it is warm and wet, there is no reason for the H to be red aside from someone who knows nothing about weather maps trying to be different with their artistic opinions. Hence, why I said you made up almost everything you said because you wanted to sound smart. It's not rocket science, and anyone who went to school and knows at least how to read, if not produce a weather map knows this.

That's true for a cold-core High, which is more common in the winter. In the summer, along the Gulf Coast, we get warm core High pressure systems. As I said before, the sinking air compresses at the surface, and that gives you high temperatures when high pressure is in control in the summer. The high pressure acts like a dome and 'caps' the atmosphere. Hence the terms, heat dome or heat ridge. That's all Channel 13 is trying to do--show people that there's a difference between an arctic high and a summertime warm-core high.

• Confused 1