ABC changing their logo; New graphics coming for ABC owned stations

Briella

8 minutes ago, MidwestTV said:

Super interesting how the open has the live time and temp baked into it. Look closely and you'll see it said 3:59 and 61°. It even has a glimpse of the forecast. That has to be a first.

If they're still using VizRT it's super simple to integrate that live data into the scene.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, MidwestTV said:

Super interesting how the open has the live time and temp baked into it. Look closely and you'll see it said 3:59 and 61°. It even has a glimpse of the forecast. That has to be a first.

It’s very similar to how Sinclair stations integrate the date into the open.

54 minutes ago, NBC 5 Chicago said:

I was really hoping to see the talent opens return to WLS. I love the graphical elements however the opens seem a little busy. Also not a fan of the new open mash-up music. 

Open definitely seems busy! Not at all what I was expecting when I saw the lower-thirds. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, NBC 5 Chicago said:

I love the graphical elements however the opens seem a little busy. Also not a fan of the new open mash-up music. 

I'll third that. The collage of pictures is too much to look at, and the way it swipes across the screen makes it look even busier. The second cut of music doesn't match the first and I don't like the way it sounds together either. 

I'd like to see a whole broadcast before I pass judgement on the entire package, but there are a lot of strange arrows everywhere like the graphic that says "Coming Up: Rainy and Raw Day".

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, NBC 5 Chicago said:

Looks like we're a go with the new graphics at 4pm on WLS. Sounded like an updated higher paced music track as well for the open.  

image.thumb.png.8fb1d33bf6db1a4ffcc0138e5562da41.png

image.thumb.png.b6028b8ee2ea8e3bbf3ec13316c6345c.png

image.thumb.png.74acfca8d8779bac9f2e8738a2289171.png

image.thumb.png.1670555ac4bf0f84d892120bca559ede.png

image.thumb.png.d53edea7348a4de2b094f302ec322ff0.png

image.thumb.png.7f576855acfd2520767b33da486f3700.png

image.thumb.png.378f9f5f4eb3a41d3469fb83c84498a8.png

image.thumb.png.3aacdea10906779d4c5bd26c9ed352a4.png

This is a swipe effect. 

image.thumb.png.ef896a33f8f387ad0c82b39e1363b74b.png

image.thumb.png.35bc204199865306c10c4a5c50b52c96.png

image.thumb.png.9b9c0ff0c5aff416618cad4a74b4e046.png

image.thumb.png.6156e7cedf25ed9aadc9fe32339330b1.png

image.thumb.png.a468a4afd227011ed8b5e0391ad8dd6d.png

image.thumb.png.48746819d451160bafd69d7f6c6cb930.png

image.thumb.png.226b13296f568feaac61919e44272ced.png

Take notes WABC! It's amazing how all of the New York stations are flagships yet none of them are the best looking presentation wise in any of their station groups.

* not counting graphics on 2, 4, & 5 who have the exact same graphics as their sister stations*.

Not feeling the new ABC bug. It's the same things CBS did: put a streaming sized bug on TV.

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

The package looks good overall but you can sort of tell it took years to finally implement. Some of the design trends used here are now a tad bit past their prime (arrows opening up sliding elements, semi-webpage looking animation cues). Also I'm seeing some very minor similarities to the CBS O&O look, likely owing to the fact that Wendy McMahon was the driving force behind both.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, qunewsguy said:

The package looks good overall but you can sort of tell it took years to finally implement. Some of the design trends used here are now a tad bit past their prime (arrows opening up sliding elements, semi-webpage looking animation cues). Also I'm seeing some very minor similarities to the CBS O&O look, likely owing to the fact that Wendy McMahon was the driving force behind both.

Those are fair points, but the package is still a massive upgrade for pretty much all of those stations (esp. WABC). Imo, it’s still on par w/ the other major network O&Os, and it looks far better than the packages the major station groups have put on their stations.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MorningNews said:

but the opener and music are very busy.

After seeing an entire newscast, I have to say there is just too much motion going on. It seems like most graphics swipe the screen the way the open does and move pretty fast. The lower-thirds look fine as a screenshot, but there's a lot of strange movements their too. At first, the Eyewitness News reporter's name shows up in a larger white banner, it shrinks and moves up a little (like a tab), then the blue banner pops up, and the white tab disappears after a few seconds. It's just too much, and it's not what I expected at all after seeing the screenshots.

Many of graphics kind of look like WABC's package, which I've never liked. 

Other than that, it's pretty strange for the Weather and Coming Up graphics to look almost exactly the same.

• Like 1

I think its a brilliant dynamic package. it might be a big much for older viewers to wrap their heads around. But I think its brilliant. Dont like the chopped together opening. I hate there is no music bed after the opening. It feel abrupt. Not sure about the cobble together opening theme.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I think I prefer something simpler. I’d rather have the Scripps package than this. There are too many elements moving all over the place, the mashup music is jarring and strange. The live bug is weird looking and reminds me of something CNN might use. For spending years making it the whole thing looks like a ridiculous rush job. Color me disappointed. WLS downgraded big time. I’ll second whoever said it looks like WABC’s package. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, ns8401 said:

I think I prefer something simpler. I’d rather have the Scripps package than this. There are too many elements moving all over the place, the mashup music is jarring and strange. The live bug is weird looking and reminds me of something CNN might use. For spending years making it the whole thing looks like a ridiculous rush job. Color me disappointed. WLS downgraded big time. I’ll second whoever said it looks like WABC’s package. 

I agree. There's just too much movement. If you're going for the 3D look, use 3D graphics! This is a 2D package with too much motion, trying to get the "3D look". The way the Channel 7 pops up in the open looks very cartoonish, and the tiny arrow pointing to a tiny Chicago also pretty cheap looking. The Eyewitness News typeface is too generic. Some of the graphics are also extremely plain (like weather forecast), while others, like the open/breaking news deal, have way too much going on with still images moving around that's it's kind of dizzying. But most have the same swiping motion that seems to be overused for almost every single graphic/transition. This isn't what I expected at all and I have to agree it is a downgrade. :(I'm sorry, but I feel like someone got paid a lot of money to steal elements for every other station he/she has ever watched, and much like the open's mashed-up music, just threw it together.  

• Sad 1
  • Concerned 1

Those opens are a mess.  Way too much going on, and a weird mash-up of 25+ year old music gives it an outdated vibe instantly.  It’s like they said “let’s make this local” by plastering literally EVERY photo of the given city in the graphics.  I wonder how this will look in Raleigh/Durham or Fresno?! 👀

This is one of those instances where the “KISS” approach should’ve been applied.  Take one element away and it gets closer to a viable package.  Even switching out the two city photos above and below the “Eyewitness News” panel with some solid colors would help immensely!

Also, not a fan of the use of red/blue for Breaking News and yellow/blue for everything else.  It almost looks like a mash of a WABC version and a KABC version (with colors those stations have historically used).  I would’ve done red/yellow for Breaking News.

As for the lower thirds and on-screen newscast elements, I actually like them.  They could be a bit more subtle, but I like the treatment of talent names and the overall visual hierarchy of the headline and supporting details.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The insert graphics are decent. The opens have a lot going on in them, I'm not sure I need a fake ticker and time/temp, but hey - props for trying something new. It's not the best O&O package out there but certainly not the worst and I think definitely an improvement over what most of the ABC O&Os have on the air now. 

Odd choice though going back to a very dated-sounding (well, it is dated, it's from the 90s) music bed... clearly they didn't want to spend the $20-30k for a few new opens/bumps?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, noggi said:

The insert graphics are decent. The opens have a lot going on in them, I'm not sure I need a fake ticker and time/temp, but hey - props for trying something new. It's not the best O&O package out there but certainly not the worst and I think definitely an improvement over what most of the ABC O&Os have on the air now. 

Odd choice though going back to a very dated-sounding (well, it is dated, it's from the 90s) music bed... clearly they didn't want to spend the $20-30k for a few new opens/bumps?

My bet? There's no one left at WCPM who could compose a half decent update to the package.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, noggi said:

I'm not sure I need a fake ticker and time/temp, but hey - props for trying something new. 

Fake? I don't know why would you think that. Based on my observation, that is a real ticker real time and temp, and even has weather as well....talk about that small station concept of bring weather in the news first before the news. 

If it would've been fake, the time wouldn't say 6:59, and towards the end of the intro say 7:00 on the 7pm streaming intro. 

Edited by Horizon

1 hour ago, noggi said:

I'm not sure I need a fake ticker and time/temp, but hey - props for trying something new. It's not the best O&O package out there but certainly not the worst and I think definitely an improvement over what most of the ABC O&Os have on the air now. 

I think the ticker is real, but it's strange that you'd put a ticker in the open and not have it during the broadcast where you could actual read it. Which ABC O&O station would you say have a better graphics package? KTRK? 

1 hour ago, noggi said:

Odd choice though going back to a very dated-sounding (well, it is dated, it's from the 90s) music bed

I like the first cut of music, but not as an open. At KTRK, it was almost always used as a talent. The two different cuts mushed together, however, don't sound like they go together. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, 13 Eyewitness News said:

I think the ticker is real, but it's strange that you'd put a ticker in the open and not have it during the broadcast where you could actual read it. Which ABC O&O station would you say have a better graphics package? KTRK? 

I mean, they still do use it in the morning newscast, but I get your point. 

As for the question, of course the new graphics Trumps all the others. But, and this may be controversial, WABC. It's nice and simple, uses a good amount of red white and blue. But the issue is when they want to make a graphic for something, sometimes I feel like they're inconsistent with the theme of it. 

Hopefully that's not the case when they get the new look. 

• Sad 1

This was on another site that I cannot link to. I would honestly prefer this as the open. Its less busy and cleaner. This is just a still and I have no clue where this came from but it looks better than the current open. 

Edited by NBC 5 Chicago

44 minutes ago, Horizon said:

But, and this may be controversial, WABC. It's nice and simple, uses a good amount of red white and blue.

I actually agree with that because it's cleaner and simpler. I think the WLS package looks better in screenshots than the actual broadcast because when I saw the broadcast I felt like there's just too much movement, and the open is way too busy.

• Sad 1

Found this on another site. I would honestly prefer this as the open. Its less busy and cleaner. This is just a still and I have no clue where this came from but it looks better than the current open. 

ABC-wls-graphics_46.jpg

Edited by NBC 5 Chicago
  • Like 4