ABC changing their logo; New graphics coming for ABC owned stations

Briella

7 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

WPVI hasn’t debuted the new look in full yet, but they debuted their version of the open today. (h/t @24994J)

Well at least now we know how they'll make the open work with MCTYW lol. And it looks good.

• Like 3

Looks beautiful! Such a nice open! I love how they allow the stations to keep their identities. Such a great theme and they incorporated it nicely with the new package! The open is simple and effective. 

Edited by Vlad
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Abraham J. Simpson said:

I may be the exception who’s a meh on it, but hey, no one likes everything and different strokes for different folks. If that’s what works for the group and station, great, and more power to ‘em. 

I would say reserve your judgement till it fully debuts. That was just the generic version (notice no talent was mentioned). I think regular opens will feature some more of the cool elements that we've from the other stations including the live time and weather and maybe some scenery or even headshots of the talent.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ekt8750 said:

I would say reserve your judgement till it fully debuts. That was just the generic version (notice no talent was mentioned). I think regular opens will feature some more of the cool elements that we've from the other stations including the live time and weather and maybe some scenery or even headshots of the talent.

Totally get the no talent part, par for the course on weekend mornings. I would think, perhaps wrongly, it's just going to be the end portion that's updated. And sure, maybe they work in weather, but I'd never in a million years expect they're going to start using talent headshots...which almost certainly means they'll prove me wrong. 😀 But seriously, that hasn't been something they've done, and while there's a first time for everything, that just seems like it's a no. Or at least a not yet. Baby steps. 

And I tried not to be harsh or anything, just saying for me that end piece was meh. It can and will be great to other folks, and that's awesome. We all have our tastes, and I like freshening things up as much as anyone. Certainly don't intend to sound like it's a bash by any means.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, atlnews2 said:

was there ever any doubt? 

There wasn't any doubt from me. I knew it wasn't going anywhere. I was just curious how they were going to make the opens work with it. And it didn't turn out too bad. 

• Like 2

But a shortened "Cut One" open? I would expect it at the 11:00 pm open where it's used most often, but not in other dayparts...

I mean, as long as MCTYW remains their theme song, it's all well and good, but I'd rather hear the whole 19-second "Cut One" open with the full announce, if it's not the 11pm open.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, BrakusJPS said:

But a shortened "Cut One" open? I would expect it at the 11:00 pm open where it's used most often, but not in other dayparts...

I mean, as long as MCTYW remains their theme song, it's all well and good, but I'd rather hear the whole 19-second "Cut One" open with the full announce, if it's not the 11pm open.

Announcer: "Action News, Delaware Valley's Leading News Program". And then hear about 12 more seconds of music? That would be 12 seconds of dead time.

Why play the full open when you don't have a permanent Sunday anchor pair? The shortened open is appropriate.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Purely personal, I’d rather hear the full cut on all shows, 11 pm included. And since Nydia remains on Sunday mornings, don’t see a reason not to have a talent opening. But they certainly have their reasons and it’s all fine. Just a personal preference, I think it loses something in the short versions. So be it, all good. 

• Like 2

Hmmm, the whole thing went live today on WPVI. Opening was the same as the Sunday edition (full length open, but no other change). All in all, sure, interesting changes in action. No ticker yet at noon, but space is there. 

Some familiar feel amidst the new design. Interesting. 

(Edit-posted my comments without noticing the comment above had been added; didn’t mean to look as though I didn’t read it, just hadn’t seen the notice a new post was made as I slowly typed.)

Edited by Abraham J. Simpson
Clarification
  • Like 2

Definitely felt familiar, but I like the updates so far. Time & temp look much better than the old alignment, in my opinion. No more Twitter/X handles for talent ID -- was amused how fast those would transition in the prior layout. Perhaps because I have been working on many lately, got a strong powerpoint transition/build slide feeling at times, but again even that feels familiar.

I wonder if they will update some of the soft-elements on the set such as the AccuWeather logotype and some of the other LED ticker elements. Of course, the weather set always has the left-edge as a static-thermometer graphic, even when used for news, always found that odd.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Flyer78 said:

Of course, the weather set always has the left-edge as a static-thermometer graphic, even when used for news, always found that odd.

I don’t get that because they can do, rarely, change it. Sports Sunday for example would transition those screens away from the thermometer graphic, and it’s been done for other specials. It’s a little thing and god knows they’re paid more and know more than me, but it is my somewhat compulsive tendencies that get to me seeing that for news knowing it can be adjusted.

Then again, I prefer the weather segments at that wall and I know others will certainly fairly disagree. 😀

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Flyer78 said:

I wonder if they will update some of the soft-elements on the set such as the AccuWeather logotype and some of the other LED ticker elements. Of course, the weather set always has the left-edge as a static-thermometer graphic, even when used for news, always found that odd.

That wall isn't a 16:9 aspect ratio so if they ditched the sidebar and filled the entire thing with whatever they're presenting, it would be a distorted picture. I guess their thinking behind putting what they did there is it gives the presenter a place to stand without blocking any information. 

I also thought they'd update the backdrop behind the anchors. That still uses elements from the old look.

Overall though I love this look and WPVI's implementation of it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ekt8750 said:

That wall isn't a 16:9 aspect ratio so if they ditched the sidebar and filled the entire thing with whatever they're presenting, it would be a distorted picture. I guess their thinking behind putting what they did there is it gives the presenter a place to stand without blocking any information. 

Totally understand why it is there, and during weather segments, makes perfect sense. Just seems like they could have anything else. A gallery of news vans. A selection of Sky6 views. A museum portrait of Jim Gardner. I made the powerpoint comment, I guess I spend too much time trying to fill space and make interesting slides... 😇

The ticker hasn't changed. (Yet?)

Edited by Flyer78
ticker
  • Like 2

Just realized the traffic graphics on the top of video shots are also the old version. The maps are what they are, but the “Sky 6” for example is noticeably the older one. And the blue bar has that little horizontal line thing over to the right. 

But yeah, for the video wall by the weather, something other than an obvious weather symbol could work, while keeping the main video on the monitors it’s on today. 

• Thanks 1

Well, WPVI has most of the new graphics (minus the ticker) so that means KABC will be the last O&O station to switch. I thought WPVI would be the last because of its 20 second open but with KABC’s situation, they probably haven’t completed the switch to the computer system that supports these graphics and they probably just want to not mess anything up so that might be why they will be last to switch.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, FiveNews said:

Did they get rid of the "Action Cam" bug? Didn't see it in the first live shot of the noon.

Much like the X/Twitter handles and the AccuWeather swipe with the meteorologists, it does not appear to be a part of the package. 

• Like 1