ABC changing their logo; New graphics coming for ABC owned stations

Briella

34 minutes ago, Vlad said:

Yeah, I'm very interested in seeing WPVI's integration with the package. I can envision them using just the last few seconds of the cut, which has the signature portion being used for the beginning, and then, maybe they can do a full open during the broadcast that has the theme. "You're Watching 6ABC Action News... With... (while Move Closer To Your World Plays in the background)." 

Never in a million years could I see them doing that. What’s likely going to happen is the full theme with the typical scenes of people in the city and the “Action News, Delaware Valley’s leading news program, with…”. The only thing that will change will be the graphic at the end, which will be the new intro that all the stations are adopting.

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, wofchristian said:

Never in a million years could I see them doing that. What’s likely going to happen is the full theme with the typical scenes of people in the city and the “Action News, Delaware Valley’s leading news program, with…”. The only thing that will change will be the graphic at the end, which will be the new intro that all the stations are adopting.

Yeah, I've mentally visualized it just that way. The usual "sights and sounds" shots and then the "graphic wall" flies in right after MCTYW hits that long note.

• Like 6

I just realized KABC still hasn’t got the updated weather graphics on air and on its website.

it’s either WPVI or KGO to get the switch anytime soon.

5 hours ago, Vlad said:

I have to constructively disagree with you MediaZone about WABC's current set being abysmal. I honestly don't think their set is "abysmal" not at the very least, astute time viewers of WABC remember vividly how terrible their set used to be before they moved to the street studio, remember back when they were sharing the space with Live with Regis and Kelly? (Early 90s through 2011) when they had the cramped space now that was "abysmal" at the time, their current studio is pretty good, but when they move to the new headquarters sometime next year, i'm sure they'll get a well deserved update, hopefully more spacious and perhaps by the street again? One can hope!

Diffrent strokes for different folks. I will say, though their current set might be an improvement over the last, and the skyline update is a big help, it remains arguably  worst in market. The area where they do 3D weather graphics looks especially cheap.

7 was neck in neck with WNBC for worst set but News 4's recent updates gave them a little advantage. I'd say WCBS still has best the best looking studio.  

On a positive note, it feels surreal to say, but ABC 7 definitely has the best graphics in NYC now! Love the talent intros instead of the three second openers that have become industry norm.

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, MediaZone4K said:

Diffrent strokes for different folks. I will say, though their current set might be an improvement over the last, and the skyline update is a big help, it remains arguably  worst in market. The area where they do 3D weather graphics looks especially cheap.

7 was neck in neck with WNBC for worst set but News 4's recent updates gave them a little advantage. I'd say WCBS still has best the best looking studio.  

On a positive note, it feels surreal to say, but ABC 7 definitely has the best graphics in NYC now! Love the talent intros instead of the three second openers that have become industry norm.

The issue with the set is that WABC is not using it to its full potential. You can see just from the 10am show how versatile the set and the lighting elements are.. but it took them over 10 years to try anything different. Even the secondary area with the big screen for weather/traffic and interviews can look dramatically different with the flip of some switches. 

That said, I’m glad they made the switch to cleaner, brighter and better background images. It does give the set a minor but nice facelift to match the new graphics. 

As for @Vlad’s wish for the new HQ set to be a street side studio — sorry, there will be no street side studios at Disney/ABC’s Hudson Square campus. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

15 hours ago, TheNewsTV said:

Thats better - had a feeling the weekday opens would be different. Full on urgency with the teletype, keeps all the identity hallmarks of EWN intact. 

I am surprised though they're using 100% still shots for the tiles in the opens vs some or all as video with some motion.

Edited by sfomspphl

2 hours ago, wabceyewitness said:

The issue with the set is that WABC is not using it to its full potential. You can see just from the 10am show how versatile the set and the lighting elements are.. but it took them over 10 years to try anything different. Even the secondary area with the big screen for weather/traffic and interviews can look dramatically different with the flip of some switches. 

That said, I’m glad they made the switch to cleaner, brighter and better background images. It does give the set a minor but nice facelift to match the new graphics. 

As for @Vlad’s wish for the new HQ set to be a street side studio — sorry, there will be no street side studios at Disney/ABC’s Hudson Square campus. 

Aw, well, I know the new Disney/ABC/ESPN campus is going to look great and out of the park but I’ll also miss the street studio, never had a chance to visit. As for the new graphics, I’m glad the talents are back, makes it more distinct from their other stations! 💙❤️

• Like 3

15 hours ago, TheNewsTV said:

Good to hear our old friend Charlie Van Dyke still doing the v/o, although his voice has deteriorated quite a bit.   Pleasantly surprised they didn’t use the chance to replace him with Virginia Hamilton or Gabe Kunda like they did at WPVI. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

50 minutes ago, sfomspphl said:

I am surprised though they're using 100% still shots for the tiles in the opens vs some or all as video with some motion.

Three potential reasons for this:

1) The open is being generated live out of Ross. Like a Viz, there needs to be dedicated system resources for playback, and any video save for MP4 or the platform's preferred codec would be an enormous resource hog.

2) Video probably makes the whole canvas look too busy with everything else going on around the main frame.

3) Licensed stock stills are less expensive than video 🙃

Edited by TSSZNews
  • Like 4

54 minutes ago, TSSZNews said:

Three potential reasons for this:

1) The open is being generated live out of Ross. Like a Viz, there needs to be dedicated system resources for playback, and any video save for MP4 or the platform's preferred codec would be an enormous resource hog.

2) Video probably makes the whole canvas look too busy with everything else going on around the main frame.

3) Licensed stock stills are less expensive than video 🙃

Yeah probably #2 is a part of it. Interesting touch the ticker banner at the end has the live time and current weather headlines.

Also guessing the temp/forecast tile next to Lee in the open is also 'live.' 

4 hours ago, sfomspphl said:

Yeah probably #2 is a part of it. Interesting touch the ticker banner at the end has the live time and current weather headlines.

Also guessing the temp/forecast tile next to Lee in the open is also 'live.' 

Yes the temp/forecast tile is live.. It's always been a different temp/condition and I verify it as I watch it...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

Yes the temp/forecast tile is live.. It's always been a different temp/condition and I verify it as I watch it...

I’d assume so, I have the screen grabs for the First @ 4 newscast talent intro! ❤️💙❤️💙

IMG_3358.png

IMG_3359.png

IMG_3360.png

IMG_3361.png

• Like 4

18 hours ago, EJ Velazquez said:

I’d assume so, I have the screen grabs for the First @ 4 newscast talent intro! ❤️💙❤️💙

IMG_3358.png

IMG_3359.png

IMG_3360.png

IMG_3361.png

These are so beautiful! Love the red, white and blue accents like KTRK ABC 13. I really wish KTRK ABC 13 in Houston would bring back Talent Opens....I miss them! This graphics package looks really great on each station.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, EJ Velazquez said:

IMG_3358.png

IMG_3359.png

IMG_3360.png

IMG_3361.png

20 minutes ago, NEPANews said:

You know, the more you look at the talent intros, and this may be really nit-picky, but the ABC logo within them.  Is that…..the now “former” ABC logo in there with their names?

Upon closer inspection, yes, that is the monochrome/print version of the logo's original 1962 design, with the minimal spacing between the "abc" text and the edge of the circle.

Edited by T.L. Hughes

Yeah, I can confidently say, (in my humble slightly biased opinion, of course) that WABC for the first time in pretty much forever, is the clear winner with the graphics in the O&O group (and arguably in all of NYC at this point.) WNBC comes close but I think WABC has the edge with their new graphics. Finally, and major props to WABC!

It's so crazy how it took them a very long time to "perfect" their graphics. When I reflect on my time here on this great forum,  some of us TVNewsTalk veterans talking about WABC's on-air presentation in the local New York Forum way back when TVNT was not even born yet (Local News Discussion) those who have been here long enough remember that forum haha, the graphics were always WABC's biggest gripe and chief complaint from the astute viewers of Channel 7, and we just felt that it just wasn't fair for "the top station in the nation" to have a lackluster boring, and pretty much subpar look. We collectively felt that WABC deserved to have a graphic package that is representative of a top local news station. And I gotta say, they sure as hell nailed it now with this new group O&O package! Above and beyond really, sure its flashy here and there but it's smooth and it works for them.

Finally, after all these years of complaining about how WABC has had a lack of luster on-air presentation with their graphics, most people can probably put that to rest. Their news set while starting to show its age, (debut back in 2012 and over 10 years old now) to me still works, considering what they had prior which was pretty awful. The set still looks great and it still works to this day, as we've discussed on the New York forum for the WABC thread, the accompanying studio can be very versatile and just needs to be used more creatively and if they use it more they can squeeze more life out of it before the big move to Hudson Square. I think WABC is pretty much perfect right now and is finally looking like the #1 Station in the nation.

I hope they continue with this package even through their move to Hudson Square. The graphics are so incredibly refreshing overall. Great Job!!

Edited by Vlad
  • Like 7

^ mostly agree with this. Not to belabor the point but is there a theory to WABC’s approach? I remember being shocked at the 2005 set and their graphics. You’d think the top station would have a more ambitious on-air presentation especially since the other O&Os in the group were mostly always solid.

Channel 7’s format is flashy, maybe even obnoxious. In contrast, their on-air presentation has always been one-dimensional. Feels like it’s by design.

1 hour ago, MorningNews said:

^ mostly agree with this. Not to belabor the point but is there a theory to WABC’s approach? I remember being shocked at the 2005 set and their graphics. You’d think the top station would have a more ambitious on-air presentation especially since the other O&Os in the group were mostly always solid.

Channel 7’s format is flashy, maybe even obnoxious. In contrast, their on-air presentation has always been one-dimensional. Feels like it’s by design.

I think they and PVI pay more attention to their generational (older) viewers and in WABCs case ethnic communities who might be newer to the language. 

Both groups probably value straightforward, easy to see and digest info on the screen over the latest design trends. And the older viewers are creatures of habit.

Kind of like the Wheel / Jeopardy approach - change is gradual and iterative. 

Edited by sfomspphl
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, MorningNews said:

People here often say WABC is flashy. I can hear it in their writing historically. But, Compared to stations like WWOR or WSVN I'm having trouble seeing it. Maybe it's because they do as you say have a one-dimensional look. 

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, MediaZone4K said:

People here often say WABC is flashy. I can hear it in their writing historically. But, Compared to stations like WWOR or WSVN I'm having trouble seeing it. Maybe it's because they do as you say have a one-dimensional look. 

WABC might be one of the most sensational and flashy local news stations I’ve seen outside of the Sunbeam operations. It’s not a bad thing or a knock, the format and style fits WABC perfectly.

Edited by MorningNews
  • Thought-Provoking 1

18 hours ago, MorningNews said:

WABC might be one of the most sensational and flashy local news stations I’ve seen outside of the Sunbeam operations. It’s not a bad thing or a knock, the format and style fits WABC perfectly.

I mean, they sort of always have been on the flashy side when it comes to their presentation of the news. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think their product is anywhere near the level of sleaze and shameless tabloid junk that WSVN was pumping out in the 90s, and the station does (and has done) plenty of serious journalism. But their newscasts have always had a “man on the street” feel to them, at least imo.

This is an Eyewitness News promo from the 1960s. The subject matter would still shock some today, so imagine how it was received back then.

Edited by nycnewsjunkie
Embed Link
  • Sad 1
  • Thought-Provoking 2

WPVI still holds out, but their current lower thirds are pretty decent. Very Graham like. I almost hope they don't change.

Screenshot_20240120_164041_YouTube.thumb.jpg.26dc4d3e7bdb1e6202d8843782c62a19.jpg

PVI's flat graphics look cheap though. These can definately stand the new upgrade. Just like the new Cox package, 3D and flat look awkward when mixed.

Screenshot_20240120_164701_YouTube.jpg

Reguarding tone which was brought up during the WABC's discussion...Having seen snippets from their evening newscasts, especially when Jim *Gardner was there, 6ABC has a real national evening news like presentation. Very clean and ultra professional news product.

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Sad 1
  • Concerned 1