ABC changing their logo; New graphics coming for ABC owned stations

Briella

14 hours ago, EJ Velazquez said:

Looks like KGO (ABC7 News Bay Area) may be cooking soon, at least in the AccuWeather department; here’s what their new 7 Day Forecast looks like on their website, they may be debuting their first piece really soon, finally! 

IMG_1130.jpeg

Yep it’s now up and running on its morning show now. Made its debut on air.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, SFTV said:

Yep it’s now up and running on its morning show now. Made its debut on air.

Cool to see, finally something cooking for the west coast ABC stations, and great seeing the Proxima Nova font as well. OK, KABC (ABC7 LA) you’re due! 

IMG_1165.png

IMG_1166.png

IMG_1164.png

IMG_1167.png

IMG_1163.png

• Like 3

Good morning! Noticed these lately from WTVD (ABC11 North Carolina), couldn’t determine if we mentioned it already but they recently this Fall upgraded their First Alert Traffic graphics as well as using the new Proxima Nova font for their happening now at 5 open last night. I wonder if they might be really cooking too. We’ll see. 

IMG_1281.png

IMG_1296.png

IMG_1293.png

IMG_1295.png

IMG_1294.png

IMG_1299.png

IMG_1298.png

IMG_1297.png

Good morning! Noticed that my station WABC (ABC7 New York) has now been utilizing Virginia Hamilton (The View, Localish, GMA and GMA3) much more often including the voiceover for Mornings at 10; I wonder if she will be the new voiceover full time for the station when their new graphics debut or will they follow ABC30’s lead? We shall see soon! 🤔🤔

• Thought-Provoking 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, RealNews18 said:

Did you happen to get the opening? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eeO_nJqoRg

From what can be heard in the voiceover, Charlie Van Dyke's voice is even less recognizable compared to 15 years ago, almost reminiscent of how Jefferson Kaye sounded in the last set of opens he voiced for WPVI before he was replaced by CVD.

Also, while they kept their custom version of "Eyewitness News", they did shorten the open cut by a few seconds to fit the length of the standardized title sequence, omitting the teletype instrumental at the very beginning and starting where the musical signature begins.

• Like 1

Loving ABC7 New York’s new graphics….AT LAST! Feeling sad about CVD’s voice though, I know he’s up there in age and all but I know it’s not the same and they may replace him with someone else, what a long run since at least the 90s! Here’s my own captures! 

IMG_3058.png

IMG_3057.png

IMG_3056.png

IMG_3053.png

IMG_3052.png

IMG_3047.png

• Like 6

2 hours ago, MediaZone4K said:

Good Lord, finally WABC. This is a massive step up for them but the current KGO/KABC look is better, and IMO would look better as a group package. Here are some stills:

Screenshot_20240114_073455_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240114_073510_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240114_073855_Chrome.jpg

11 hours ago, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

Oh my God this is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better than that crap they had

11 hours ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

Finally the #1 station can start looking like a number one station. Though I prefer the KGO/KABC look, this is far better than anything WABC has had in the last 15 years.

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 7

12 minutes ago, MediaZone4K said:

Finally the #1 station can start looking like a number one station. Though I prefer the KGO/KABC look, this is far better than anything WABC has had in the last 15 years.

Agreed! The ABC7 LA and Bay Area’s current looks aren’t too bad either and happy that my flagship station here in NY can look and feel like the #1 station at last! I got some dayside captures of the new graphics! ❤️💙☺️

IMG_3097.png

IMG_3094.png

IMG_3096.png

IMG_3093.png

IMG_3092.png

IMG_3091.png

IMG_3090.png

IMG_3095.png

• Like 5

Now, time for that abysmal set to get updated when they move HQ. With WNBC's news upgrades, the Eyewitness News set is officially the worst in market.

But let that not take away from the victory (dramatic wording lol) of this graphical upgrade.

In regards to the announcer's age, couldn't they just keep using his previous intro voice overs for the ones that don't require upgrades? Same sentiment for the late Howard Reig on NBC or Scott Chapin on WSVN. 

Edited by MediaZone4K

19 minutes ago, Muppetman03 said:

The newsticker feels off to me
Probably because of the difference in color

screenshot-stream.directv.com-2024.01.14-08_05_36.png

Yeah on this id rather see GMA update their gfx away from the heavy blue and yellow look. 

• Like 6

The only reservation I have with the new look is, sadly, Charlie van Dyke. He’s one of my favorite voiceovers, but he really doesn’t sound good in the intro. I’d hate to see him go, but it wouldn’t surprise me if someone else started voicing the station’s newscasts in the near future. I know there are other VO actors that voice promos and such already.

• Like 1

The Eyewitness News masthead fits in well, smart of them to keep it.

Losing the teletype would be short sighted. That’s as much a signature of WABC as the Eyewitness News name. The urgency calls you from across the room that the news is starting. 

Seems like an easy edit let’s see what the weekday opens look like.

Yeah overall its crazy how it took WABC this long to finally look like the top station in the nation. These graphics are finally on par with their identity as the #1 Station in the nation. The look of WABC is elevated by far, and they quite frankly are the best-looking station now. So I echo the same sentiment with everyone on here since I started writing on these forums nearly 20 years ago the chief complaint has always been how lackluster WABC's graphics always were compared to the rest of the local stations, but now finally we can say they are up on top now. 

The news theme is old but it still works and sounds modern enough, way better than what their sister, WLS in Chicago did for their new opening which sounds like a mess. WLS should've kept their old News Series 2000+ themes that were iconic for them, hopefully, they'll revise it in the future, but I highly doubt it haha. Seems like news stations are holding on to their themes longer now and changing themes isn't as a big thing anymore as it was back in the day. The Eyewitness News intro sounds a bit different, with the removal of the "news ticker" sound as someone mentioned, also the opening tease cut is a bit different too more of a beat to it now and less melody you hear the drums and bass more I guess haha for lack of better words.

Here's an Evolution of WABC's Graphics from the early 2010s to Today for comparison.

Giant Octopus Graphics Package (2012 - 2016)

Previous Package "Downgraded Look" (September 2016 - January 2024) 

Current Package "Best Overall" (January 2024 - Present)

Edited by Vlad
  • Like 3

Yeah, I'm very interested in seeing WPVI's integration with the package. I can envision them using just the last few seconds of the cut, which has the signature portion being used for the beginning, and then, maybe they can do a full open during the broadcast that has the theme. "You're Watching 6ABC Action News... With... (while Move Closer To Your World Plays in the background)." 

On 1/14/2024 at 8:07 AM, MediaZone4K said:

Now, time for that abysmal set to get updated when they move HQ. With WNBC's news upgrades, the Eyewitness News set is officially the worst in market.

But let that not take away from the victory (dramatic wording lol) of this graphical upgrade.

In regards to the announcer's age, couldn't they just keep using his previous intro voice overs for the ones that don't require upgrades? Same sentiment for the late Howard Reig on NBC or Scott Chapin on WSVN. 

I have to constructively disagree with you MediaZone about WABC's current set being abysmal. I honestly don't think their set is "abysmal" not at the very least, astute time viewers of WABC remember vividly how terrible their set used to be before they moved to the street studio, remember back when they were sharing the space with Live with Regis and Kelly? (Early 90s through 2011) when they had the cramped space now that was "abysmal" at the time, their current studio is pretty good, but when they move to the new headquarters sometime next year, i'm sure they'll get a well deserved update, hopefully more spacious and perhaps by the street again? One can hope!

Edited by Vlad
  • Sad 1