ABC changing their logo; New graphics coming for ABC owned stations

Briella

On 8/28/2023 at 8:03 PM, ttvn2000 said:

Hints of the new look in this promo from WPVI…

Looks like a contemporary take on those 70s promos from fellow ABC affiliates (not O&Os). Here's one from WTAE Pittsburgh (Hearst-owned ABC station)

And here's another one past the 3:38 mark from WEWS Cleveland (Scripps-owned ABC affiliate)

Watching that Brian Taff/Rick Williams promo did give off that vibe for me

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

One thing that is not on the horizon is any standardization of ABC O&O graphics.

CBS, NBC and FOX affiliates all have identical design.  (I think local news is the poorer for that, especially CBS's rendering its stations to  the "CBS News (insert market name here) " generic quality.  WABC, KABC, and WLS, to name the three biggest ABC markets, are their own tooling and bear little resemblance to one another in font and design.

KABC and KGO are mostly similar, except for differences in L3 color and a few other details.

KABC by the way is working on the same graphics and set that made a debut in October 2015.  That is some kind of record maybe.

Edited by Nick
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Nick said:

One thing that is not on the horizon is any standardization of ABC O&O graphics.

CBS, NBC and FOX affiliates all have identical design.  (I think local news is the poorer for that, especially CBS's rendering its stations to  the "CBS News (insert market name here) " generic quality.  WABC, KABC, and WLS, to name the three biggest ABC markets, are their own tooling and bear little resemblance to one another in font and design.

KABC and KGO are mostly similar, except for differences in L3 color and a few other details.

KABC by the way is working on the same graphics and set that made a debut in October 2015.  That is some kind of record maybe.

Typically, KABC is a stable station in many ways, that include making only small changes in its on-air presentation over many years.

Edited by CraigViewer
  • Like 3

On 11/11/2023 at 11:06 PM, Nick said:

It is on the horizon. This whole page is about ABC standardizing graphics amongst its O&O’s. They are just rolling it out very slowly.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, 24994J said:

That change was made in September, when the syndication season began.

39 minutes ago, ekt8750 said:

WPVI is getting closer. They've updated the graphics for their syndie programming to the new look.

Let's hope Move Closer to Your World doesn't get yanked off the air. And let's hope those Happy People visuals don't go away either. All in favor of those new ABC O&O graphics for WPVI newscasts. Remember 1996 when all of Philly went apeshit over the symphonic version of MCTYW, which lasted five days on the air? Let's hope there are no riots in the streets when WPVI makes a visual refresh.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Concerned 1

2 hours ago, newsteam13 said:

Let's hope Move Closer to Your World doesn't get yanked off the air. And let's hope those Happy People visuals don't go away either. All in favor of those new ABC O&O graphics for WPVI newscasts. Remember 1996 when all of Philly went apeshit over the symphonic version of MCTYW, which lasted five days on the air? Let's hope there are no riots in the streets when WPVI makes a visual refresh.

If they're going to standardize, might it be the music too, except for the open?

• Thought-Provoking 1

Oh, this again. Fun fact: It's been longer since WPVI tried changing music (27 years) than it was from when they started using MCTYW to when they tried changing it (24 years.)

Only on TVNT will a graphics package or set that's older than 5 years be declared "ancient", but a music package used for 50+ years is something that shouldn't be touched. A lot has changed in the last 27 years (namely declining viewership!) and I suspect that a subtle modernization of the music (the 1996 version was anything but subtle, it was a drastic change that tried to make MCTYW into a serious, The Mission-style orchestral news package, which it is definitely not) wouldn't result in the "riots in the street" people around here like to imagine happening. 

We know they have selection of 615-made cuts they've been using for a few years now, I would imagine most viewers are now used to hearing "the music" that's not specifically the 1972 version.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, 24994J said:

That change was made in September, when the syndication season began.

I observed a few days ago that KABC in Los Angeles had a "Live with Kelly and Mark" promo with the new graphics, though I don't foresee a graphics change on its news broadcasts anytime soon.

Edited by CraigViewer

1 minute ago, CircleSeven said:

Is that Arial I see? Hope this is a test and not make it on the air. 

Looks like it is, this might be a prototype but we’ll see if they stick with Arial, I like the default Proxima Nova font though. The weather maps on their website and app also use Arial for LiveDoppler 7.

IMG_1131.jpeg