ABC changing their logo; New graphics coming for ABC owned stations

Briella

3 hours ago, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

OMG ABC O&O has got to be the slowest ever in rolling out stuff... This has been going on for way too long.  We've been talking about this for 2 frickin' years and barely 1/2 the stations have flipped to the new weather graphics... 

I’d rather it take forever and be done right than having it take 8 months and be done completely wrong.

• Like 9

23 hours ago, 24994J said:

It's been on billboards for weeks, but the new news logo has made it to promos.

WTVD getting a new set for its Durham wonder WLS is probably gonna debut it first, so when this new set that debuts and we’re probably be second again.

• Confused 4

55 minutes ago, GodfreyGR said:

Ami late to the game on this? Or did the ABC logo bug just get smaller?

4C930B3C-4A51-4922-A7E7-3B9C20AC943E.jpeg

I actually noticed it last week when they were airing “Shang-Chi”; I figured it was a one-off but I guess not

I think it’s an improvement; the old bug was far too big imo and I found it distracting. People watch TV to see the programs, not to look at the bug.

• Like 4

Some of the elements of the new weather graphics package look old and outdated to me since KTRK-TV Channel 13 was using many of these elements 12-15 years ago such as same wind arrows, raised counties, the same way one or two of the 7-day forecast days can be "highlighted", current conditions on a standalone graphic, and all the blank space for the meteorologist to stand next to the graphics on the chromakey. As shown in the video, Channel 13 doesn't use a chromakey for the weather and hasn't in the past 8 years. The current conditions at KTRK are shown with the Towercam and they have three different way to do it: It can hang from the top banner, or pop-in on the right hand side either in augmented reality or directly on the graphic on the weather wall. First they show the TowerCam and then the current conditions pop-up as seen in this video: 

On the other hand, the forecasts are too confusing and hard to read. The icons are way too tiny, there are no chances of rain or wind forecasts, and tonight's low is missing. The weather tiles don't even match the icons. Take this one as an example: MON, WED have the same tiny icons but different weather tiles. The same for TUE, THU, and FRI.  It looks too much like a weather app. Not to mention, KTRK has a 10-day extended forecast so the tiny icons would probably be even tinier if they were every forced to use this package. There is just too much tiny print that would look even smaller if it's not used on a chormakey for many of the new graphics as well. Overall, it's a hodgepodge of old and new, and in my opinion isn't as good as the station's current package.

image.thumb.png.28c73df77b3ee5e504027ac9354228ca.png

Edited by 13 Eyewitness News
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, 13 Eyewitness News said:

The current font looks unique, but this one looks pretty much brandless. It looks like another ABC O&O station, KABC. Why would anyone want to make them look alike? 

Alternatively, what is the value of making them look different?

• Like 2

As a lifelong viewer, WLS changing their wordmark honestly just doesn't phase me. Outside of the 1984-96 'Eyewitness News' logo, they've changed things up with every new graphics package.

• Like 2

On 6/2/2023 at 1:39 PM, 13 Eyewitness News said:

On the other hand, the forecasts are too confusing and hard to read. The icons are way too tiny, there are no chances of rain or wind forecasts, and tonight's low is missing. The weather tiles don't even match the icons. Take this one as an example: MON, WED have the same tiny icons but different weather tiles. The same for TUE, THU, and FRI.  It looks too much like a weather app. Not to mention, KTRK has a 10-day extended forecast so the tiny icons would probably be even tinier if they were every forced to use this package. There is just too much tiny print that would look even smaller if it's not used on a chormakey for many of the new graphics as well. Overall, it's a hodgepodge of old and new, and in my opinion isn't as good as the station's current package.

image.thumb.png.28c73df77b3ee5e504027ac9354228ca.png

This is a good example of "if you need auxiliary elements to explain the main element, the main element is too complicated." I get what they were going for and credit them for shaking it up, but some things work best in their simplest, classic form. It's just too busy.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, noggi said:

Alternatively, what is the value of making them look different?

I'd say it's brand recognition. For most of these stations, Eyewitness News is their brand. When the logos are different, they are instantly recognizable as a certain station. That might not necessarily be true for WLS since they dropped the EWN brand 17 years, but I think it's certainly true for WABC or KTRK. I mean, it kind of looks like someone just typed up "EYEWITNESS NEWS" the same font of WABC or KTRK's chyrons, so that's why I call it brandless. 

1 hour ago, MidwestTV said:

This is a good example of "if you need auxiliary elements to explain the main element, the main element is too complicated." I get what they were going for and credit them for shaking it up, but some things work best in their simplest, classic form. It's just too busy.

I agree. The other thing that doesn't make sense about it, is that they went from a 4:3 forecast, where there's room for the meteorologist to stand, to a 16:9, where the weatherman would cover up at least one of the days, while adding nothing new or better to the graphic itself. 

• Like 1

Looks like we're a go with the new graphics at 4pm on WLS. Sounded like an updated higher paced music track as well for the open.  

image.thumb.png.8fb1d33bf6db1a4ffcc0138e5562da41.png

image.thumb.png.b6028b8ee2ea8e3bbf3ec13316c6345c.png

image.thumb.png.74acfca8d8779bac9f2e8738a2289171.png

image.thumb.png.1670555ac4bf0f84d892120bca559ede.png

image.thumb.png.d53edea7348a4de2b094f302ec322ff0.png

image.thumb.png.7f576855acfd2520767b33da486f3700.png

image.thumb.png.378f9f5f4eb3a41d3469fb83c84498a8.png

image.thumb.png.3aacdea10906779d4c5bd26c9ed352a4.png

This is a swipe effect. 

image.thumb.png.ef896a33f8f387ad0c82b39e1363b74b.png

image.thumb.png.35bc204199865306c10c4a5c50b52c96.png

image.thumb.png.9b9c0ff0c5aff416618cad4a74b4e046.png

image.thumb.png.6156e7cedf25ed9aadc9fe32339330b1.png

image.thumb.png.a468a4afd227011ed8b5e0391ad8dd6d.png

image.thumb.png.48746819d451160bafd69d7f6c6cb930.png

image.thumb.png.226b13296f568feaac61919e44272ced.png

Edited by NBC 5 Chicago
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Just turned on my mother's TV and saw the new graphics at WLS.

I think that WLS now uses Gari's Eyewitness News music package full time and the Stimulus news music package appears to be retired.

Edited by speed053
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, speed053 said:

Just turned on my mother's TV and saw the new graphics at WLS.

I think that WLS now uses Gari's Eyewitness News music package full time and the Stimulus news music package appears to be retired.

I’m not sure about that; the intro cut of music has the NS2000 signature tacked on at the end. It sounds as if it’s an old cut that’s never been used by anyone before.

EDIT: Here’s the video

Edited by nycnewsjunkie
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

31 minutes ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

I’m not sure about that; the intro cut of music has the NS2000 signature tacked on at the end. It sounds as if it’s an old cut that’s never been used by anyone before.

EDIT: Here’s the video

They have a dynamic open with the date, time and temp inserted in? Can't say I've seen that before! 👀

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, 24994J said:

There is plenty of room for customization, whether with WPVI's style, or if a station wants to use talent opens.

I was really hoping to see the talent opens return to WLS. I love the graphical elements however the opens seem a little busy. Also not a fan of the new open mash-up music. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 1