ABC changing their logo; New graphics coming for ABC owned stations

Briella

On 6/8/2022 at 6:36 PM, nycnewsjunkie said:

I’ll go as far as to say that the outgoing package looks better than some of the newer graphics packages being churned out by Gray and Nexstar.

That said, the new Wx graphics look fantastic. If they are a harbinger for a group-wide package, that will be a welcome development, especially for WABC and other stations with aging/less than stellar graphics.

Funny you should say that. The outgoing graphics were created by Ruth Dial, former partner/cofounder of Giant Octupus' and Nexstar's graphics creator (at LinearDrift) Rey Rodriguez.

These new graphics have been 3 years in the making, created by Vivid Zero, a subsidiary of the clueless media consultants SmithGeiger who have no business owning a graphic design firm.  Principle: Michael Vamosy (formerly of Stun Creative)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, djlynch said:

Note to TEGNA: This is how you do flat graphics well

TEGNA did not DO those graphics. They RFP'd design firms and those came from Troika. At the time, Troika had laid off most of their designers. Therefore, instead of anything original to meet TEGNA's needs, they recycled graphics designed from an advertising campaign for another client. I'm certain that TEGNA paid out the nose, regardless, for recycled mediocrity.

Wow that extended forecast WLS is using brings back late 90’s vibes. KGTV used something similar before.

also KGO and KABC still haven’t updated its abc on-air bug on its newscasts. However regular programming and promos have the updated version.

• Like 1

I don't know if this means anything, but Heather O'Rourke did a taped report on the many events happening in Manhattan this weekend, and the graphics seemed a bit different than the other graphics throughout the newscast. I'm in the NYC TV market for the weekend, so I don't watch WABC all the time, have their traffic graphics always looked a little different than their other graphics?

• Like 2

Honestly I was not a fan of WLS's last weather graphics so these are a welcomed change! I do hope the lower thirds look just as nice and a suitable open is used.

On 11/9/2021 at 11:41 AM, phillynewslover said:

Will we see Move Closer To Your World on all the O&O's now? ;D

Seriously, though, I am curious as to how (not if... hopefully this message won't eventually be ironic) WPVI will use MCTYW with this graphics. 

You said this before the weather graphics debuted but probably the same old bowl of soup. Random philly shots, end it with something that looks better as promo or return from commercial but with the new graphics

• Like 1

First weekend with the new look, and Phil Schwarz hasn't screwed up the logos...yet. I've gotten to know him, over the years, and I enjoy his work, but the logo and font distortion always puzzled me. He had to know that it wasn't right.

287553380_563651785131288_2882893209653453110_n.thumb.jpg.dfa56dee0e1b8a004e44f2f1a7b6c2a1.jpg

279242796_529113618585105_5849895200192381103_n.thumb.jpg.460de8dca98e850f99607bb3f204ef54.jpg

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 2

On 6/10/2022 at 10:52 AM, ABC 7 Denver said:

Funny you should say that. The outgoing graphics were created by Ruth Dial, former partner/cofounder of Giant Octupus' and Nexstar's graphics creator (at LinearDrift) Rey Rodriguez.

These new graphics have been 3 years in the making, created by Vivid Zero, a subsidiary of the clueless media consultants SmithGeiger who have no business owning a graphic design firm.  Principle: Michael Vamosy (formerly of Stun Creative)

The contract was originally awarded to Stun in 2019 (Yes, folks, sometimes graphics do take three years to develop).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/12/2022 at 3:16 AM, 24994J said:

First weekend with the new look, and Phil Schwarz hasn't screwed up the logos...yet. I've gotten to know him, over the years, and I enjoy his work, but the logo and font distortion always puzzled me. He had to know that it wasn't right.

287553380_563651785131288_2882893209653453110_n.thumb.jpg.dfa56dee0e1b8a004e44f2f1a7b6c2a1.jpg

279242796_529113618585105_5849895200192381103_n.thumb.jpg.460de8dca98e850f99607bb3f204ef54.jpg

Indeed quite a massive upgrade, though if I had a thing to nitpick on, I wish those gradients would be smaller then they are here. Otherwise, it's looking great, and hoping for NS2K+'s return!

• Like 3

On 6/10/2022 at 11:11 AM, SFTV said:

Wow that extended forecast WLS is using brings back late 90’s vibes. KGTV used something similar before.

also KGO and KABC still haven’t updated its abc on-air bug on its newscasts. However regular programming and promos have the updated version.

Yes, it reminds me of this package from the mid 2000s before they went HD (weather is at 16:36):

This package was one of the best from KGTV IMO.

Edited by Bsean
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Bsean said:

Yes, it reminds me of this package from the mid 2000s before they went HD (weather is at 16:36):

This package was one of the best from KGTV IMO.

Hothaus designed that package. This was when KGTV was at its best and very competitive with KFMB during its “Local 8 News” era. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Mrknowitall526 said:

Does anyone actually think WPVI will get new graphics?  The current package debuted a few years ago.  They always march to the beat of their own drum

The better question is will those "new" graphics include Move Closer To Your World? 

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

Mandate as in "everybody will be getting this," but the toolkit idea makes it clear that execution might vary. Of course, that could be concerning when it comes to the WABC's of the world, in how they might screw this up, but that also means you might see a variety of open styles, and even different color schemes or in-news brands. This will/should not be a 100% same-for-all product.

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

And since there's been uncertainty about what the final logo designs are, for the O&O's, as the "creative" types online keep throwing out Frankenstein-like creations, here they are, once and for all.

image.thumb.jpeg.b7c0c3be74c899c8185cc24428b32236.jpeg1232x692-Q80_9a01ac37af965cc975dd08482fb8f943.thumb.jpg.8e85d2e7eaf5489ad70da97538f75bf6.jpgimage.thumb.jpeg.7d3ebde8b4fef8460d91ac4bccd3a0d9.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.7a812688b04ec9e24086f81c2e0baa0e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.7faf41635d087e224c3503f5755289bd.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.eb87a08dd19b203e7b037ff8f0631bf2.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c06e679b148794ebd2d13164f7f150d7.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.4fd0faea73c15d5a7a5a01c0cb5fdb5c.jpeg

• Like 1

On 6/27/2022 at 11:45 PM, Mrknowitall526 said:

Does anyone actually think WPVI will get new graphics?  The current package debuted a few years ago.  They always march to the beat of their own drum

They will. I was interviewing to be WPVI's Art Director about three years ago now when ABC started on this package... was told it "was like nothing you've ever seen before". I have to imagine Covid, the departure of Wendy McMahon, and changes with the design agency probably tabled this project for awhile. It's all being managed out of Chicago - though I'm sure that's no secret now that the weather look launched.

That said... this looks exactly like "everything I've ever seen before", so... I'm guessing they started over at some point and went down a very safe path with the design.

Edited by noggi

58 minutes ago, noggi said:

They will. I was interviewing to be WPVI's Art Director about three years ago now when ABC started on this package... was told it "was like nothing you've ever seen before". I have to imagine Covid, the departure of Wendy McMahon, and changes with the design agency probably tabled this project for awhile. It's all being managed out of Chicago - though I'm sure that's no secret now that the weather look launched.

That said... this looks exactly like "everything I've ever seen before", so... I'm guessing they started over at some point and went down a very safe path with the design.

Losing someone as daring as Wendy from the mix tends to do things like that. No coincidence that both WBZ and KABC debuted iconic ahead-of-their-time looks under her watch.

• Like 1

Personally really liked the WLS graphics of the last several years, really easy to read from couch distance, nice dimension to them. 'Instant classic.'

I know others prefer the flat mobile / tablet screen look but it's not my thing. The blurred skyline background is pretty though. Reminds me of the KTVU late 90s look. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, noggi said:

Management always says "It's like nothing you've seen before" as PR spin.

It was a project for Stun Creative. Essentially the principle sold the company to Smith-Geiger who changed the name to Vivid Zero. The principle has remained on board.

On 6/8/2022 at 5:51 PM, 24994J said:

1550761478_bandicam2022-06-0816-20-02-637.thumb.png.8c3d9851cffce89aebe8043b84ed3fae.png

My prediction is that the sun/cloud icons will eventually be made bigger and placed in a more traditional location, while also maintaining the photography in each day's background. Otherwise I think it takes a little more time for viewers to decipher the seven-day.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nothing truly exciting/groundbreaking here as Hearst starts to get the de-glossed logos on their stations with WISN-TV today (note the bug just has the new bug overlaying the old ABC logo, apparent when it does the freeze-in prevention animation);

IMG_1260.jpeg

IMG_1261.jpeg

IMG_1262.jpeg

IMG_1263.jpeg

IMG_1264.jpeg

• Like 1