ABC changing their logo; New graphics coming for ABC owned stations

Briella

So guessing the O&Os getting a uniform gfx package is, if not dead, delayed... 'PVI has played with the flat look before even the current in-house look debuted. Usually the weather team updates ahead of time - and that too still reflects the general look. 

Fall brought usual update to the Delaware valley's leading news program intros... and the 2017 look is alive and well.

• Like 4

On 9/21/2021 at 12:12 AM, mrschimpf said:

It looks like affiliates will also be rolling out new after-break logos during network time, at least. WBAY and WISN changed theirs today.

image.thumb.png.ee804dfad06cb1d5580b6e8c14c9622a.png

Related to this, WISN's generated ticker on ATM/GMA is also utilizing the new logo version as the between-headline divider, so it's across all of their generated logos, and likely for others that overlay the national ATM/GMA ticker. Because WISN's current logo took gloss notes from the '13 logo, having that gloss and then the flat ABC ball in the color version just clashes somehow. It's slightly less apparent with WBAY because of the more subtle gradient within their 'circle 2'.

Edited by mrschimpf

8 hours ago, Flyer78 said:

So guessing the O&Os getting a uniform gfx package is, if not dead, delayed... 'PVI has played with the flat look before even the current in-house look debuted. Usually the weather team updates ahead of time - and that too still reflects the general look. 

Fall brought usual update to the Delaware valley's leading news program intros... and the 2017 look is alive and well.

Probably delayed. It’s fairly easy and cheap for them to swap in the flat logo on their current opens at this point. I imagine a larger graphics overhaul is coming so they’re holding off on paying for and spending time on minor changes to current opens. So far it seems like WABC is the only O&O to update the bug during news programming but has still left intact the logo everywhere else during news. 

• Like 2

The design company has this reel on their website showcasing the work they did for ABC.  

Interestingly, the ABC logo is downsized in the affiliate logos on this reel. Based on this and what we’re seeing in the rollout, it’s clear the owned stations pushed back on the the original idea.  

Also noteworthy, it that this reel shows what would be a WABC logo, but with the network logo placed the way KABC or KGO would. 

3F247D70-9336-484A-87E6-A6E6DC7B190B.jpeg

Edited by wabceyewitness
  • Like 5

Yeah honestly, I think its a bit basic, but it has grown on me. I hope the Circle 7s still get to keep their identities. We’ll have to see what happens, maybe in November, when the sweeps occurs, we will see an update in the graphics rollout for the stations? All of the O&O stations have been with their current graphics for over 5 years now. I hope WABC really changes their graphics, its always been subpar in my opinion from when they had rolled it out in 2016.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Vlad said:

Yeah honestly, I think its a bit basic, but it has grown on me. I hope the Circle 7s still get to keep their identities. We’ll have to see what happens, maybe in November, when the sweeps occurs, we will see an update in the graphics rollout for the stations? All of the O&O stations have been with their current graphics for over 5 years now. I hope WABC really changes their graphics, its always been subpar in my opinion from when they had rolled it out in 2016.

Same here for KTRK, my local ABC O&O station that has used the current graphics package for over 6 years and, by today's standards, hasn't aged well IMO.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Vlad said:

Not WPVI tho

After a decade or more of rumors and rumblings, we can officially point to an example of THE ABC O&O standardized graphics. No more speculation and doubt. It's happening.

As I said on the Discord, the insert graphics are unchanged, as the show has always just used the station's current package. The open came now because Marc Brown just took over as anchor.

4 minutes ago, 24994J said:

After a decade or more of rumors and rumblings, we can officially point to an example of THE ABC O&O standardized graphics. No more speculation and doubt. It's happening.

As I said on the Discord, the insert graphics are unchanged, as the show has always just used the station's current package. The open came now because Marc Brown just took over as anchor.

I’m getting Scripps vibes with the boxes and color schemes in that open. All we need is Inergy 😆

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 24994J said:

Why in the world is everyone using Proxima Nova. Tegna,Scripps it's everywhere, I really would've thought they would use there own Font.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, nothing said:

Why in the world is everyone using Proxima Nova. Tegna,Scripps it's everywhere, I really would've thought they would use there own Font.

The simple reason for that? The entire font package is included when you have an Adobe Creative Cloud subscription and it looks good (for now). Font licensing can be a HUGE cost and pain point for stations.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Vlad said:

How do you know that this is the standardized graphics? This could have easily been something just created for KABC. 

I and another forum member have seen a WLS open and lower third demo, and a WABC 11pm teaser promo demo, using this style of animation, with the windowed, collage-like imagery, those shades of blue & yellow, and the arrows. The versions we saw used the old ABC icon, as the new one had only recently been revealed, but that's the only key difference.

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, 24994J said:

I and another forum member have seen a WLS open and lower third demo, and a WABC 11pm teaser promo demo, using this style of animation, with the windowed, collage-like imagery, those shades of blue & yellow, and the arrows. The versions we saw used the old ABC icon, as the new one had only recently been revealed, but that's the only key difference.

Do you have the links to them?

19 minutes ago, H-Town TV Fan said:

Do you have the links to them?

They were shared to me privately, and no offense to anyone in particular, but there can be some loose lips around here, so no. I'm sure we'll see the final product soon enough, and no, I have to idea of the launch date(s).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 24994J said:

They were shared to me privately, and no offense to anyone in particular, but there can be some loose lips around here, so no. I'm sure we'll see the final product soon enough, and no, I have to idea of the launch date(s).

I'm excited to see what they look like ABC 11 person I know says they been ordered, but no word on debut yet.

8 minutes ago, qunewsguy said:

Okay I'm just gonna say it before this thread turns insane: I don't think we need to see what each and every station's network overlay bug looks like. 

I actually posted the ones for WPLG and WPBF earlier because of the smaller abc logo. But since that post WPLG inverted the logo and is now white instead of black. Don't know if any other station did the something similar because WPBF is still the same black color.