ABC changing their logo; New graphics coming for ABC owned stations

Briella

This 'flat logo' totaliarianism among brand circles in the name of working better on mobile / digital is misguided.

TikTok - probably the most breakthrough mobile / digital brand of the last couple years has a logo that's explicit in giving the impression of dimension and motion, complexity. Is it a good logo? I could care less for it, but it hasn't prevented them from being easily identified in a mobile environment. 

Let the logo adapt to the medium. The bigger the screen, the more intricate and subtle the logo elements can be. Mobile can have a 'flat' look, and 4K TV something with dimension and texture. Yes I know a lot of video is repurposed for both screens, but the prior look was perfectly presentable on smaller screens. 

NBC seems to get this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sfomspphl said:

Let the logo adapt to the medium. The bigger the screen, the more intricate and subtle the logo elements can be. Mobile can have a 'flat' look, and 4K TV something with dimension and texture. 

This is totally true.  Here we are in an era where we now have access to screens that have huge capabilities for resolution, gradients, color, etc. and designers these days are flattening everything out for some bizarre reason.  They're not using the medium to it's fullest potential.  It seems like most station groups are falling victim to the blue banner/white letter syndrome.  I'm not saying for designers to make things look gaudy; I'm saying there needs to be more creativity to differentiate stations/station groups.  Stations need to have more of an individual "visual personality".  

• Like 3

Flat and basic is a common cultural design esthetic across mulitple platforms these days, not just TV. You see it in the evolution of Apple iOS, product packaging, even in interior design and more. Glossiness, bold gradients, and 3D are OUT and actually look pretty dated unless you're talking male-skewing sports content. Simple high contrast colors, natural textures and basic shapes are the way things are going right now.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, wabceyewitness said:

nothing about this rebrand makes sense. 

Nah, the 20/20 bugs have been inconsistent for years. The new logo certainly should've given them the opportunity to fix this, but it's no fault of the rebrand team.

• Like 4

Between images of WLS & WPVI, and a report of change at WTVD, it appears that the network mandate forced the O&O's to change the logos in network promos in time for tonight's new season. I haven't seen anything from non-owned stations.

• Like 3

The “new” logo is almost but not entirely indistinguishable from the old. I doubt they’ll ever get to universal adoption of the new logo.

I’m in LA this week and saw some billboards with the new KABC logo, but I could only tell is was the “new” one by the absence of all the gradients.

The ABC logo's design does not stray too far from the 1962 Paul Rand original. The "b" is slightly shorter, the "c" has a smaller gap and all three letters are centered, but the logo is still instantly recognizable. The reason for the centering of the letters, is to add an outline to the circle/dot in some inverted applications, such as an on-screen bug seen during ABC's network programming.

Edited by Justin Hill
  • Like 1

On 9/17/2021 at 3:01 PM, RCA TK47 said:

I'm not saying for designers to make things look gaudy; I'm saying there needs to be more creativity to differentiate stations/station groups.  Stations need to have more of an individual "visual personality".  

I totally agree with you. It’s strange that we got warm colored, glossy and textured graphics in the age of standard definition, and all this flatness in the age of 4k and HD when tv’s would really be adept at displaying complex graphics. To each their own but flat graphics really look cheap and amateurish in most examples I’ve seen.  Hopefully flat becomes less ubiquitous as the decade goes on. We just need more creative diversity instead of one look everywhere!

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 2

I don't know about the black color in all honesty. I liked the glossiness from before. Both WPLG and WPBF actually shrunk the abc logo from the previous one. And they are certainly smaller overall than before.

IMG_20210921_135516__01.jpg

IMG_20210921_135513__01.jpg

Edited by Requiere
  • Like 1

Speaking Of WPBF, is it me, or does WPBF really Hate abc? I ask because they've been pre-empting primetime shows a lot, especially this past summer, and fall of 2020. I wonder if there is anything about abc that is getting under the skin of WPBF. 

4 hours ago, Duc4TVNewsTalk said:

Looks like KOMO-TV in Seattle got a new wordmark, as well as a new ABC logo. (see above)

Actually, Sinclair introduced that logo (with the older ABC dot) a couple of years ago.

Personally, I'd rather ABC had kept the 'ascender' of the "b." Never liked it when they used it some years ago. Lowering that on the "b" makes it look like a reversed upside down "a" to some extent.

8 hours ago, Joe Capitano said:

Actually, Sinclair introduced that logo (with the older ABC dot) a couple of years ago.

Nope. The new logo is very different from the Sinclair-era logo. Although it has the same order of positions, the new logo has that new wordmark inspired from the historic KOMO-TV logo from the 80s, whilst the former used Helvetica, in a style similar to the logos used during the final years of Fisher ownership.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2