ABC changing their logo; New graphics coming for ABC owned stations

Briella

22 hours ago, VHSgoodiesWA said:

KAPP/KVEW central WA is still using the pre-2021 logo in their IDs and promos. I'm pretty sure ABC will persuade them to change to the new look by the fall season.

Most stations haven't started using it yet.

Yeah, it's gonna be rough enough when each station starts adopting it, and 200 stations get individual posts on here. There is NO need to announce that a station has NOT yet made the change. Those posts will be hidden, and repeated infractions could be treated like spam.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

14 minutes ago, 24994J said:

Yeah, it's gonna be rough enough when each station starts adopting it, and 200 stations get individual posts on here. There is NO need to announce that a station has NOT yet made the change. Those posts will be hidden, and repeated infractions could be treated like spam.

If this is really a thing you want to post, put it on Logopedia.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 24994J said:

Every big network logo refresh, Wikipedia gets folks who have to be 'first' to update a logo...and then upload terrible 'point at 80s TV' screenshots, fakes, or tiny 40px versions of the 'new logo' that nobody can really use, or Logopedia-sourced garbage from those false television station wikis that think WNBC was founded by Sony or something. Trying to say 'no, ABC isn't going to revoke an affiliation because a station didn't update their logo' is like taking to a wall with them.

• Like 2

Considering that KABC ad still uses the current coloring of the 7, I'm not sure that's entirely the final design, but it almost seems like the O&O's are rebelling against the size mandates. WLS just ran a graphic for the upcoming 'Windy City Weekend,' and it features a logo closer to current WABC, who I imagine will also adopt this version. The slightly different circle 7 is straight out of New York, and the ABC placement is sized and positioned in an almost compromise middle ground between what WABC and WLS have been using. Personally, I don't care for it, but I'll adjust.

1173092387_bandicam2021-08-3100-13-39-943.thumb.png.7341a000d28123a8d29e01d766d3377d.png

With current WLS over new...

471919941_2021-08-31(6).thumb.png.7dcc2107871a41f8535aef5e44684d44.png

Current WABC...

2059640691_2021-08-31(7).thumb.png.2040ecc5cbe6d164a1184e29633c613d.png

• Like 3

10 hours ago, 24994J said:

Considering that KABC ad still uses the current coloring of the 7, I'm not sure that's entirely the final design, but it almost seems like the O&O's are rebelling against the size mandates. WLS just ran a graphic for the upcoming 'Windy City Weekend,' and it features a logo closer to current WABC, who I imagine will also adopt this version. The slightly different circle 7 is straight out of New York, and the ABC placement is sized and positioned in an almost compromise middle ground between what WABC and WLS have been using. Personally, I don't care for it, but I'll adjust.

1173092387_bandicam2021-08-3100-13-39-943.thumb.png.7341a000d28123a8d29e01d766d3377d.png

With current WLS over new...

471919941_2021-08-31(6).thumb.png.7dcc2107871a41f8535aef5e44684d44.png

Current WABC...

2059640691_2021-08-31(7).thumb.png.2040ecc5cbe6d164a1184e29633c613d.png

It looks like the O&Os are kinda rebelling!  Not surprising, since the new ABC logo is big.

Former O&O WXYZ looks like it’s going all in, because they use the ABC logo to the right of the Circle 7, thus making it easier to implement.  It’s closer to the version WXYZ used in the early 2000s for their general program promotions.

The only concern is, will they change the Action News logo.  My guess is, they are already working on that.  

I don’t think ABC affiliates WEWS (Cleveland), WCPO (Cincinnati) or WJLA (DC) have used the new ABC logo as of yet.  Those three stations, two which are owned by Scripps, might be rebelling.

5 hours ago, wabceyewitness said:

I really can’t believe Disney spent millions to rebrand ABC and came up with a logo that looks like a middle school student’s intro to graphic design project.

65881659-D4F0-42E9-9523-DD3103434833.png

At least it matches the cheesiness of WABC's graphics now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/31/2021 at 12:09 PM, CircleWXYZ said:

The only concern is, will they change the Action News logo.  My guess is, they are already working on that.

I was thinking that too, so I checked some of the Scripps abc affiliate websites and found this for WKBW in Buffalo.

Screenshot_20210903-153056__01.jpg

Doesn't even have the new abc logo.

Edited by Requiere

45 minutes ago, Requiere said:

I was thinking that too, so I checked some of the Scripps abc affiliate websites and found this for WKBW in Buffalo.

From what I can see, it does have the new ABC logo. But the logo itself looks very poor. It looks like a scrap attempt to reposition WKBW, but it is really lacking an identity and has really a small-market vibe. Doing away with the Circle 7 would be detrimental for the future of the once-proud station.

Anyway, back on track...

51 minutes ago, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

Makes me wonder if KNXV will get a new logo

Considering the logo changes at so many Scripps stations, I wouldn't be surprised. Changing opens and stuff for the ABC update would give them the perfect opportunity.

13 hours ago, Requiere said:

Aside from the ABC logo, this is the first thing that I immediately thought of when I saw this (and what it's most likely based on as they're both owned by Scripps):

WCPO_2020.png.67752e27e3bea2bfb2da41f9060cf985.png

On 9/3/2021 at 3:34 PM, Requiere said:

Looks like the 7 Action News logo is staying the same with the new WXYZ (Detroit) logo.  Just a slight modification to fit the new ABC logo.

26CB2FCF-47E7-46F3-B412-D415D6649ED8.jpeg

9A09FB85-E0FA-4086-9B0C-99AB098440A1.jpeg

• Like 1

With WABC updating it’s bug during news to the new ABC logo, but not updating it elsewhere just yet, I’m assuming a graphics update may be on the way. I know the initial reports on the new ABC logo said the owned stations would roll out new graphics. I wonder how soon that will happen. I also wonder how uniform they will be since ABC has traditionally given their owned stations more freedom than other O&O groups. 

• Like 1

On 9/7/2021 at 7:20 AM, wabceyewitness said:

With WABC updating it’s bug during news to the new ABC logo, but not updating it elsewhere just yet, I’m assuming a graphics update may be on the way. I know the initial reports on the new ABC logo said the owned stations would roll out new graphics. I wonder how soon that will happen. I also wonder how uniform they will be since ABC has traditionally given their owned stations more freedom than other O&O groups. 

There's also WABC-TV's eventual move to 4 Hudson Square within the coming years, so perhaps they may do an entire overhaul once they do.

Here's a refresher for the unaware:

https://www.amny.com/real-estate/an-inside-look-at-disneys-anticipated-hudson-square-hq/

On 9/3/2021 at 1:32 PM, qunewsguy said:

At least it matches the cheesiness of WABC's graphics now.

It speaks to the strength of WABC’s news team that they’ve maintained years at #1 with some of the worst graphics and iffy sets in the market. KABC and KGO have better looks and sets.

image.jpeg.3a26ab1fe4f158e5399b31e7ad1c8381.jpeg

image.png

The flat abc logos from the 90s looked better than the 2021 flat logo. Perhaps because it’s surrounded by graphics that don’t match and is on a hd not sd television.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1

Do we think new O&O graphics will roll out this week or next week?

WABC used the new ABC logo in their 9/11 coverage, but just during the opening graphics. The bug used the old ABC logo, which is odd considering normal news coverage has been using the new logo in the bug and the old logo in the opens. 

• Like 2