ABC changing their logo; New graphics coming for ABC owned stations

Briella

Am I one of the select few that actually likes the new ABC logo? Well, at least the ring-bordered version for regular programming (in contrast to the dark blue version for news programming; it does not fit the World News Tonight graphics at all). Even though I think the glossy 2007 Start Here was the best from my perspective.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mrschimpf said:

Someone on Wikipedia tried uploading what they said was a new 'universal ABC7 logo' for NY/CHI/LA/SF' to the said articles, but it was removed as they didn't source where it was coming from (doesn't help when you say 'own work' in the rationale' and it literally looks like it was pasted on over the KABC logo in MS Paint).

Saw the same on Logopedia... For the O&O's as well as some other stations. I'm sure most will do what that poster did anyways, but still...

• Like 1

Oh, the logo wiki has gotten out of control, in regards to station logos. Some buffoons have poorly recreated KABC and KGO's current logos, too, and they clearly have no clue what they're doing.

https://logos.fandom.com/wiki/KABC-TV#2013.E2.80.93present

https://logos.fandom.com/wiki/KGO-TV#2013.E2.80.93present

https://logos.fandom.com/wiki/KGO-TV#1996.E2.80.932003

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 4

I think te biggest problem is it's a 100% flat look next to elements that aren't flat. See the example of the WNT logo. The text has subtle gradients that give it depth while the black pearl doesn't. It looks better on the GMA look where everything is flat.

• Like 3

Pure speculation here but the fact that the O&Os haven't implemented it yet makes me think that either a group graphics package is coming, or that at the very least individual stations don't think it's worth implementing. 

Edited by DMA
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, DMA said:

Pure speculation here but the fact that the O&Os haven't implemented it yet makes me think that either a group graphics package is coming, or that at the very least individual stations don't think it's worth implementing. 

The fact that a group package is coming has already been established. There's supposedly been pushback in terms of the logo proportions, but everyone will be adopting the new logo. That's non-negotiable.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 24994J said:

The fact that a group package is coming has already been established. There's supposedly been pushback in terms of the logo proportions, but everyone will be adopting the new logo. That's non-negotiable.

Glad to hear there’s push back on the proportions. Hopefully the stations can keep their current proportions. I imagine that for most stations — both the owned group and affiliates — the logo proportions would be a huge and unnecessary burden on top of swapping in the new logo on all their on-air products. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, wabceyewitness said:

Glad to hear there’s push back on the proportions. Hopefully the stations can keep their current proportions. I imagine that for most stations — both the owned group and affiliates — the logo proportions would be a huge and unnecessary burden on top of swapping in the new logo on all their on-air products. 

Don't be too optimistic.

I wonder how non-O/O's will be affected.  Currently KLTV and KTRE have network logos but they are tiny in comparison to the channel number, and not really graphically current compared to what comes from ABC directly.  Here's what each station has had up to now.

20210812_152021.jpg

20210812_152148.jpg

• Like 1

I find the new logo ugly and crude, but at least it's not an entire revamp of ABC in general. The last thing we need is the black circle disappearing altogether.

However, the on-screen logo bug reminds me of how it looked on primetime and daytime shows in the '00s, flat 2-D and not the 3D they have been using since the start of the HD days.

• Like 1

That news animation proves that a simple black version is ideal, even if it would still blend in on some backgrounds, like the navy-ish blue. It's kind of funny that, even in week one, the news division is already giving the occasional middle finger to the brand guidelines,.

Edited by 24994J