ABC changing their logo; New graphics coming for ABC owned stations

Briella

5 hours ago, TexasTVNews said:

I second that!

I third it-- think about what it would have been like if the ABC logo change discussed here had been in one of ABC's movie broadcast openings of the 80s, like the Star Tunnel; how would that have played w/viewers of the time?

• Like 2

If this awful “rebrand” of the ABC logo and Circle 7 co-logos is forced on stations, will they also change the signage inside and outside the WABC studios that are connected to ABC HQ?  And what about all the O&Os and affiliates with signage on their sets and buildings? 

474E08C0-7E0B-4193-9127-CA0893D36EC2.jpeg

FD12C399-74D7-4C06-A7AE-118946E8E102.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wabceyewitness said:

If this awful “rebrand” of the ABC logo and Circle 7 co-logos is forced on stations, will they also change the signage inside and outside the WABC studios that are connected to ABC HQ?  And what about all the O&Os and affiliates with signage on their sets and buildings? 

474E08C0-7E0B-4193-9127-CA0893D36EC2.jpeg

FD12C399-74D7-4C06-A7AE-118946E8E102.jpeg

That's a great question-- how would that play with other luminary stations of that family like 6ABC in Philly (WPVI) and ABC11 in the Triangle (WTVD)?

• Like 2

Signage is probably the last on their minds. 

KGTV still has the signage from the 80’s but modified after the Scripps buyout from McGraw Hill with a spinning 10 on top giving that gas station feel.

KTVU still has the old 80’s / 90’s sideways FOX logo with the searchlights.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

This strikes me as an unnecessary fix of something that isn't broken:

image.png.c28e38bf7a09e2e928813399174e3c44.png

What is up with this flat trend?? It's like news graphic design is getting cheaper and unimaginative as time goes on. Sports networks like ESPN, TNT, NBA TV, and FS1 are really exceeding news outlets at set and graphical design.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I liked the current logo, it’s a shame they’re getting rid of it. The gradients flowed nicely and it wasn’t irritatingly flashy. The smaller letters in the new one make it look cramped and uninviting. If they wanted to make it plain for digital, I would have preferred the original 1962 one. 

2 hours ago, iron_lion said:

What is up with this flat trend?? It's like news graphic design is getting cheaper and unimaginative as time goes on. Sports networks like ESPN, TNT, NBA TV, and FS1 are really exceeding news outlets at set and graphical design

The reason why flat design is everywhere is because young people, like myself, prefer it. Since companies are desperate to appeal to us, they feel the need to make their branding and graphics as flat as possible. 

I never understood the need for news to rely on gaudy 3D effects and lens flares. The story should be front and center, the graphics should only supplement it. When I watch or read the news, I want to be informed, not distracted by unnecessary clutter.

Sports are for entertainment, so they make the graphics entertaining to watch. News is meant to inform about serious topics, so I prefer flatter and subdued graphics. I’m not saying it’s bad for news graphics to be creative, but it shouldn’t take away from the main subject. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, iron_lion said:

This strikes me as an unnecessary fix of something that isn't broken:

image.png.c28e38bf7a09e2e928813399174e3c44.png

What is up with this flat trend?? It's like news graphic design is getting cheaper and unimaginative as time goes on. Sports networks like ESPN, TNT, NBA TV, and FS1 are really exceeding news outlets at set and graphical design.

Time to render is cheaper and uses fewer resources.

• Confused 1

On 5/29/2021 at 8:54 PM, froyo49 said:

The reason why flat design is everywhere is because young people, like myself, prefer it. Since companies are desperate to appeal to us, they feel the need to make their branding and graphics as flat as possible. 

I never understood the need for news to rely on gaudy 3D effects and lens flares. The story should be front and center, the graphics should only supplement it. When I watch or read the news, I want to be informed, not distracted by unnecessary clutter.

Sports are for entertainment, so they make the graphics entertaining to watch. News is meant to inform about serious topics, so I prefer flatter and subdued graphics. I’m not saying it’s bad for news graphics to be creative, but it shouldn’t take away from the main subject. 

Because this is tv, I'd argue that decoration is as important as substance.  I myself don't like overly ornate graphics like ABC and NBC News's, but I disagree with the idea that ESPN level sets and quality of graphics will take away from a newscast.

Good example of shine vs flat:

20210530_204807.jpg

20210530_204729.jpg

Edited by MediaZone4K

New variant for ABC: Eh, could have been worse; but regardless I don't see anything that would justify this being worth the amount of money spent unless parent company Disney is in the mood of having money to burn at the moment. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, WAVY 10 Fan said:

New variant for ABC: Eh, could have been worse; but regardless I don't see anything that would justify this being worth the amount of money spent unless parent company Disney is in the mood of having money to burn at the moment. 

Which is kind of ironic seeing that Bob Chapek has become infamous (at least amongst fans of Disney's theme parks, like myself) for being a penny pincher, often being referred to as "Bob Cheapeck".  It's like he's making all these cuts that have taken away a bit of the "magic" of going to the parks, but they have the money to spare on a logo change at ABC that's not really necessary at all, or even noticeable to the untrained eye.

Edited by TresGriffin
  • Like 3

Indeed.

eems a bit of a hassle, and expense. for such a small tweak. Better go all out (I admit, I wouldn't mis the left-pointing arrows, but the rest of it is spot on, imho). 

I saw the promo mentioned above, and I actually like the animation of it, and the inverse black and white. 

Time will tell. I am more into NBC and CBS (news, mainly).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NowBergen said:

Honestly, it will probably not be noticed by most viewers being so subtle.  It makes you wonder why go through the expense if there is no real return.

Exactly  — and it seems the most noticeable it will be is at the local level where many affiliates will need to modify their co-logos to make the ABC portion larger. 

• 2 months later...

Maybe because I've gotten used to the idea of it, but the bug looks solid, but we all knew the ring-bordered version was superior, from launch. The solid blue version was added to the GMA weather graphics from the midday hour, and it's serviceable enough. Still gonna be rough on most of the O&O's, but that's a whole other thing I'm not going to touch on now.

• Like 2

From WABC during General Hospital today. Not awful, but certainly not better than what they had before. Arguably, the previous gold red blue ABC design was the best logo in the network’s history. The onscreen bug during WNT looked like it was made on Microsoft paint.

4095719F-2C1C-4974-99BF-B13C06388E7B.jpeg

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 3

Good Morning America and World News Tonight now use the new logo in their opening graphics and on the studio and anchor desk screens. 

For WNT, it looks odd and low budget alongside the graphics already in place. For GMA, it sort of fits in since their graphics already had a flat theme to them. 

25951388-345A-42D1-A9AE-4547C7C5DAE4.png

CCF58159-DFFC-4D5F-B8A0-33035139DD95.png

DB82D36D-A3FF-4B13-BF89-A866988555AB.png

Edited by wabceyewitness
  • Like 1

Someone on Wikipedia tried uploading what they said was a new 'universal ABC7 logo' for NY/CHI/LA/SF' to the said articles, but it was removed as they didn't source where it was coming from (doesn't help when you say 'own work' in the rationale' and it literally looks like it was pasted on over the KABC logo in MS Paint).

• Like 1

It looks like a re-creation of the mock-up made by the new logo designers that was included on Page 1 of this thread.

I am told that the local station group was not involved with this project and that any mock up local logos included in the design documents leaked are not official new logos.

• Like 1