ABC changing their logo; New graphics coming for ABC owned stations

Briella

Link

Now, starting in fall of 2021, the network will be rolling out an updated look.

The circular globe motif, also known as the “dot,” is remaining. The trademark curved, all lowercase letters are also staying put, albeit with some slight modifications.

Most notably, the ascender of the “b” is being shortened slightly and the tips of the “c” are being brought a bit closer together.

ABC is providing guidelines on how to proportion the new globe next to other logos: it should be at least 60% of the height of other elements in the logo design. 

In the case of circular logos, such as the iconic “Circle 7” logo used by ABC owned stations in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago and San Francisco, that increases to 75%, presumably to prevent the two shapes from competing against each other visually.

All of these applications will likely be updated in network level graphics, though it may take more time for stations to get fully up to date, especially for livery and items such as mic flags that can be pricey to replace.

Other sources tell NewscastStudio that a new graphics package is in the works for some or most ABC owned stations in major markets, though there’s no immediate word on when that may debut.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Wildish said:

Most notably, the ascender of the “b” is being shortened slightly and the tips of the “c” are being brought a bit closer together.

And to think some marketing firm made millions of dollars off of this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Agree with above. Proportions are terrible with the circle 7 and if they want to go through with this new flat ABC ball, then the circle 7 needs to be re-tuned as well. 

18 hours ago, Yankees4life said:

The new boss is the old boss...

Could not agree more. I can recognize the value of the original flat ABC but turning everything else "new" or keeping it more of the same does not make for a congruent appearance.

Speaking of new, the introduction of red to the ABC color palette is so out of left field. I'd also expect the new sampled font and templates shown to be something I'd find on Freeform and not on ABC. 

I can admit that I sound kind of like a grinch, but I'll wait and hopefully anticipate something more sensible.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, ttvn2000 said:

The proportions are all wrong.  Demanding the “dot” is 75% of the circle 7 basically has the two elements fighting for dominance. Maybe I’ll get used to it...but it’s awkward.

200C41EA-96E6-4FA3-B674-0819D3D2E466.jpeg

It’s giving me WLS / Early 2000’s KGO vibes but a cousin version with this odd logo.

• Like 3

On 5/21/2021 at 5:50 PM, Wildish said:

Link

Now, starting in fall of 2021, the network will be rolling out an updated look.

The circular globe motif, also known as the “dot,” is remaining. The trademark curved, all lowercase letters are also staying put, albeit with some slight modifications.

ABC is providing guidelines on how to proportion the new globe next to other logos: it should be at least 60% of the height of other elements in the logo design. 

In the case of circular logos, such as the iconic “Circle 7” logo used by ABC owned stations in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago and San Francisco, that increases to 75%, presumably to prevent the two shapes from competing against each other visually.

All of these applications will likely be updated in network level graphics, though it may take more time for stations to get fully up to date, especially for livery and items such as mic flags that can be pricey to replace.

Other sources tell NewscastStudio that a new graphics package is in the works for some or most ABC owned stations in major markets, though there’s no immediate word on when that may debut.

To be honest, I love the new ABC Circle logo.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LexTVandRadio said:

I do like the new ABC logo, but not the size of it.  Rather the ABC size be same size as the 7 logo and be right beside it. Like CBS 2 for example. 

By 2033, we should have this logo. 😉

SEVEN.jpg.662b363986386fe604606725e1e8f450.jpg 

That’s going to look like KGTV’s logo since it’s literally sitting on the upper left hand corner of the 10

Edited by SFTV
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

On 5/26/2021 at 12:37 PM, Wildish said:

news_abc_logo_redesign_coming.jpg

It's a black circle with three letters in it. It isn't really that special of a logo, but I guess of course they're going to try and sell the change as new! fresh! and innovative!. There, I said it. Get back to me when NBC or CBS tries to change up the peacock or eye.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MidwestTV said:

It's a black circle with three letters in it. It isn't really that special of a logo, but I guess of course they're going to try and sell the change as new! fresh! and innovative!. There, I said it. Get back to me when NBC or CBS tries to change up the peacock or eye.

Both the peacock and eye had slight changes done in the past.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, AceHawk447 said:

In 1986, the peacock logo went from eleven feathers to the current six.

Which is the way we've known NBC for 3.5 decades (anniversary this year)!

Edited by bmasters1
  • Like 3

For the 2013-2014 season, the peacock was slightly modified. The feathers were separated a little further apart, the peacock's beak was made a little bigger, and the NBC wordmark has a different font.

But again, a fairly subtle change. They're not going to do something radical like the godawful trapezoid logo from the mid 70s.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2021 at 11:23 AM, MidwestTV said:

Personally, how does one get a white-collar, ad agency job where you simply tell your client that old is new again? I would love to be paid good money just to shower my fluff of fresh and innovative ideas, seems like a very transformative profession. 

I wonder if Troika is involved once again with their new branding identity?

Edited by tvtime07
  • Like 2

On 5/26/2021 at 9:37 AM, Wildish said:

news_abc_logo_redesign_coming.jpg

The last bullet in this slide is the biggest BS.... This change is not going increase the legibility at smaller scales; it will most likely make it worse.  That smaller gap in the letter c will be an issue.

Edited by RCA TK47
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4