Warner Bros. Discovery

Action Newsroom

Six more execs have departed:

- CFO Jennifer Biry

- Jason Kilar’s right hand corp comm person Christy Haubegger who is also the Chief Inclusion Officer

- EVP Chief Human Resources Officer Jim Cummings

- EVP Chief Revenue Officer Tony Goncalves

- EVP General Counsel Jim Meza

- Chief Technology Officer Richard Tom

I got two small questions relating to this merger: What is the main impetus of this deal and will there be cross-promotions between the networks despite the majority of programming on all Discovery networks is more reality/scripted driven?

On 4/6/2022 at 8:09 PM, detroiter313 said:

I got two small questions relating to this merger: What is the main impetus of this deal and will there be cross-promotions between the networks despite the majority of programming on all Discovery networks is more reality/scripted driven?

The impetus for this deal is that Zaz wants to be in the top echelon of moguls, opportunities to buy media monoliths like WarnerMedia are rare, and AT&T was willing to dump WarnerMedia for a relative bargain.

I look forward to all the corporate synergy that will arise..

"And now, the HBO Max Original Series, My 600-Pound Life."

(Am I being facetious? Absolutely. But that show actually does exist on TLC...)

• Haha 3

45 minutes ago, mre29 said:

I look forward to all the corporate synergy that will arise..

"And now, the HBO Max Original Series, My 600-Pound Life."

(Am I being facetious? Absolutely. But that show actually does exist on TLC...)

Two hours of watching someone drink gallons of Pepsi for breakfast just to find out in the last 30 seconds they died. It’s not a bad show. 

I"m looking forward to a MythBusters episode where they test the Tom & Jerry antics (they did one on the Simpsons years back!)

Same goes for Roadrunner & Wile E. Coyote since they've always been a Warner Bros. thing, while T&J came thru the Turner/MGM purchase in the 80s where he ended up with most of the MGM content post-purchase and kept after the re-sale of MGM/UA.

And someone earlier mentioned that Jabberjaw and Shark Week are now under the same parent company  🤣

Next move, could Nexstar trade in their 31 percent ownership of the Food Network(s) subsidiary in exchange for all or part of the CW?  We shall see....

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, CLETVFan said:

That would be a shock to have all of those channels under one roof.

As long as NBCUniversal is the surviving company.  Warner Brothers in any form has been a train wreck, they don't even know how to deal with their own content, yet alone all of the content they've acquired over the years.

2 hours ago, CLETVFan said:

That would be a shock to have all of those channels under one roof.

It’s just too much content to manage. There’s no way they could make it work without cutting a lot of content, people, etc… to make it make sense financially.

28 minutes ago, atlnews2 said:

I don’t see how this could pass regulatory approval 

The Paramount Decree is no longer in effect, so on that end it would have to depend on the SEC regarding the film studios. That's why they'd test the waters with this merger attempt.

For the TV side, a lot of channels would be cut by Comcast. Discovery, TLC, HGTV, Food, USA, ID, Bravo, TBS and TNT are safe no matter what, but by then Oxygen will have completed its OTA move and networks like Discovery Life, Travel, Discovery Family (why WBD didn't shut this down on day one makes no sense), Animal Planet, TruTV and Destination America and their ilk will be gone. Universal Kids is pretty much a YouTube playlist on autopilot running out the string at this point.

• Like 3

I don't see this happening with NBCU and WBD merging. That's almost breaking antitrust laws and would lead to several congresspeople asking the DOJ to block it. Also, what would happen to CNN and Turner Sports if this were to go through?

Losing both the Travel Channel and Animal Planet would be a travesty in my opinion as both channels have been staples for decades though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, panewswatcher69 said:

Discussion of possible Comcast NBCUniversal merger with Warner Brothers Discovery.

https://www.cbr.com/comcast-purchase-warner-bros-discovery-merge-nbcuniversal/

Wth. As if one merger wasn’t enough. If we all just watched BBC, CBC or PBS maybe the private companies would actually start to compete and not just M&A to one monolith.

• Like 1