Warner Bros. Discovery

Action Newsroom

2 hours ago, RCA TK47 said:

Most likely a placeholder logo until the final one is designed.  That slogan... hmmmm... "stuff"?  Really a poor choice of wording.

Put the blame on John Huston...it's a quote from The Maltese Falcon.

As for this first logo...very deep Powerpoint/WordArt vibes. They'll fix it later in post.

21 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Why not just ditch "Discovery" altogether?  Take a note from all of the failed combinations of the past....

Zaslav's ego probably wouldn't allow it.

21 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

Put the blame on John Huston...it's a quote from The Maltese Falcon.

As for this first logo...very deep Powerpoint/WordArt vibes. They'll fix it later in post.

It's supposed to evoke the classic Warner Bros. shield...

It's almost certainly a placeholder.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, channel2 said:

Zaslav's ego probably wouldn't allow it.

It's supposed to evoke the classic Warner Bros. shield...

It's almost certainly a placeholder.

Or just rename the merged company as either Warner Discovery or just plain Discovery for that matter?

Here's a variant probably no one remembers, or has ever seen before.

3027046-inline-8warner-bros-logo-1971-th

This was after Kinney National (a conglomerate, not the old shoe store) bought them after the Warner Bros.- Seven Arts era.  Corporate scandal ensued soon after and the round "W" from the 70s and 80s came to be.

Speaking of conglomerates, why don't they get back into the media business again? 

Fun fact, the Kinney Shoe store was bought by FW Woolworth, and they started Foot Locker in 1974. 

Flash forward to now, and Foot Locker (and their sister stores) are all that's left!

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 1

Hopefully you'll just trust me, because I don't have the tweet handy, but a reputable source in CNN's design department confirmed that this is a placeholder. They just needed a wordmark for a presentation to investors.

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Here's a variant probably no one remembers, or has ever seen before.

3027046-inline-8warner-bros-logo-1971-th

This was after Kinney National (a conglomerate, not the old shoe store) bought them after the Warner Bros.- Seven Arts era.  Corporate scandal ensued soon after and the round "W" from the 70s and 80s came to be.

Speaking of conglomerates, why don't they get back into the media business again? 

Fun fact, the Kinney Shoe store was bought by FW Woolworth, and they started Foot Locker in 1974. 

Flash forward to now, and Foot Locker (and their sister stores) are all that's left!

I've known of that logo for a while, thanks to the logo community. Pretty rare picture there, since WB has historically liked to replace their old logos. Summer of 42 played earlier today on TCM, and the modern logo replaced the Kinney shield at the beginning (the ending still had the in-credit version, though).

• 4 weeks later...

AT&T should've never have bought Warner Bros that was an epic fail everything that AT&T touches they ruin. And why does Jeff Zucker still have a job? The deal will be approved by the DOJ with rules I think DOJ is going to be tough on this deal just my opinion since the liberals don't like these types of mergers.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
On 11/10/2021 at 10:52 AM, Action Newsroom said:

Zaslav gave his comments on his plans for running WB-D at Paley Center for Media's online International Council Summit. Among them, he says he'll be "very hands on" while based in L.A. and calls CNN rival Fox News an "advocacy network, not a news network".

Pot calling the kettle black much? CNN wasn't called The Clinton News Network for nothing? Of course Fox leans right but to say the others lean left is preposterous and that's all I'll say on the topic.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 3/11/2022 at 7:49 PM, mre29 said:

Any chance you could remove that black background? The link in there is pretty much invisible.

I never planned on putting it there, nor was there an option for that.

Edited by Action Newsroom

On 3/11/2022 at 11:17 AM, Action Newsroom said:

THE DISCOVERY SHAREHOLDERS APPROVE.

EXPECTED COMPLETION SET FOR APRIL.

If Malone is involved, of course it'll go. He somehow miraculously got Time Warner Cable-Bright House Networks-Charter's mega-merger to go without question from the DOJ.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

With Warner moving away from AT&T, I wonder if it will eventually take away the complimentary HBOMax I get with my fiber internet.   I get Discovery+ billed from my Verizon service (free trial) along with the included Disney bundle.

The same question goes for all of us who get HBOMax as part of our cable HBO subscription.  Honestly, I have no desire to get Discovery+.  HBOMax is the bigger service.  There is a reason for that.

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

With Warner moving away from AT&T, I wonder if it will eventually take away the complimentary HBOMax I get with my fiber internet.   I get Discovery+ billed from my Verizon service (free trial) along with the included Disney bundle.

24 minutes ago, NowBergen said:

The same question goes for all of us who get HBOMax as part of our cable HBO subscription.  Honestly, I have no desire to get Discovery+.  HBOMax is the bigger service.  There is a reason for that.

THR reported back in November that AT&T would continue offering free HBO Max for wireless customers after the merger completes (I assume fiber internet customers are part of the deal, as well.)

We have AT&T with their fiber internet package, and we get it for free.

Edited by Georgie56

1 hour ago, NowBergen said:

HBO Max being available for free for HBO’s cable/satellite/IPTV/vMVPD subscribers, through a DirecTV-owned service or any other provider, most likely won’t change with the spin-off. (I get HBO Max access through HBO’s Hulu add-on [which can be added onto either of Hulu’s base VOD-only tiers as well as its live TV offering], but only use Max to watch non-HBO content; I have the Hulu add-on partly for the live East/West feeds of all seven linear HBO channels available on it, which have still yet to become available in any capacity on Max’s HBO portal.)

Starz is the only other premium channel to have a hybrid TV Everywhere/direct-to-consumer streaming platform, interestingly (although HBO Max is technically more a hybrid of a premium channel streamer and a Netflix/Hulu/Prime Video-style general entertainment service), whereas Showtime and Epix still offer separate TVE and DTC services (Showtime Anytime and the Epix streaming service on the TVE side, and the Showtime streaming service and Epix Now on the DTC side).

Edited by T.L. Hughes