Warner Bros. Discovery

Action Newsroom

5 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

I think one thing attractive here is the CW. Discovery can add additional 'unscripted' programming to the CW and reduce the production costs while increasing revenue. The CW is still such a minor network that the amount of scripted programming it has is expensive compared to it's ratings. So it has a way thin margins. I think Discovery can boost that. I also wouldn't be surprised if Scripps spins off their networks again and Discovery, along with the vast library of WarnerMedia, buys that up too. Considering how many libraries they have and the studio accessibility, owning those assets as well would make sense.

With regard to the name:

DISCOVERY World Globe Logo Clip Art Black And White 191713 - Map Clipart Black And White World - Png Download (600x588), Png Download WARNER

4 hours ago, DENDude said:

I Don't think this deal is going to make the CW any better.  It will still just be there taking up airspace.  

At most, they'll probably just run a few Discovery specials here and there. If they REALLY wanna push it, they'd take over Saturday mornings from Litton, and even that's a long shot, considering Litton basically buys the time and lets The CW affiliates keep their lights on at no monetary cost to them. But it's just not within The CW's brand to run Discovery-style programming.

2 hours ago, channel2 said:

So when's Jabberjaw gonna be on Shark Week?

Oh my god, I made that joke on social media. I knew I wouldn't be the only one.

Reuters came out with an article yesterday and its.. an interesting take at all how quickly it came together.

Discovery Inc (DISCA.O) CEO David Zaslav emailed his counterpart at AT&T Inc (T.N), John Stankey, on a Sunday afternoon in February to lament how the COVID-19 pandemic had led to them missing the AT&T Pebble Beach golf tournament in California, where the two friends had planned to meet.

So essentially they were going to meet up at the PGA Golf tournament but it couldn't happen because of the COVID regulations in California at the time which led to this:

Zaslav's email, which included emojis of a person playing golf and another one with sunglasses

Yeah that explains some of the reasons behind why this deal came together as quickly as it did.

I don't think any of us had a WarnerMedia-Discovery combo in its bingo card (I know I certainly didn't) 

Interesting details coming out of this CNBC article:

Looks like WarnerDiscovery is the leading choice for the name of the combined company

The main piece is this

The key indicator that future chief executive David Zaslav is already considering a sale down the road -- assuming the merger passes regulatory approval --

Malone agreed to turn in those shares for common equity because he wanted to give a combined WarnerDiscovery flexibility to sell itself in the future -- most likely to a deep-pocketed technology company like Amazon or Apple or another media behemoth like Disney, according to a person familiar with the matter.

Honestly I cannot foresee Disney wanting WarnerDiscovery because they already own the Fox Film Studios they bought from Rupert in addition to their existing studios. Owning 3 studios plus having a monopoly on sports rights should give the DOJ more than enough reason to not grant approval for the deal. 

I think Amazon or Apple getting WarnerDiscovery would be huge especially for Amazon specifically the Sports perspective. Adding a large collection of Sports properties that Turner has (including the NBA) would be a huge complement to Amazon.

9 hours ago, dman748 said:

Interesting details coming out of this CNBC article:

Looks like WarnerDiscovery is the leading choice for the name of the combined company

The main piece is this

Honestly I cannot foresee Disney wanting WarnerDiscovery because they already own the Fox Film Studios they bought from Rupert in addition to their existing studios. Owning 3 studios plus having a monopoly on sports rights should give the DOJ more than enough reason to not grant approval for the deal. 

I think Amazon or Apple getting WarnerDiscovery would be huge especially for Amazon specifically the Sports perspective. Adding a large collection of Sports properties that Turner has (including the NBA) would be a huge complement to Amazon.

Plus if Amazon gets MGM as well, that would reunite the old and new MGM libraries.

Still, Zazlav's thinking of a sale already? Good lord...

Edited by Adam MadMan
  • Like 1

On 5/19/2021 at 2:50 PM, The Frog said:

WarnerDiscovery already being set up for a sale? Man, imagine if they went full circle and merged with NBCUniversal if/when Comcast jettisons it. 

Viacom is another that is looking to merge, so if it ends up joining forces with Warner and Discovery, it would bring in CBS, add in the other half of the CW, and essentialy reunite the original MTV Networks with Warner, who launched them with American Express until that partnership was dissolved.

6 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Viacom is another that is looking to merge, so if it ends up joining forces with Warner and Discovery, it would bring in CBS, add in the other half of the CW, and essentialy reunite the original MTV Networks with Warner, who launched them with American Express until that partnership was dissolved.

I know everyone knows Viacom is prime prey material, but this merger here you're stating could happen would be a mess. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yankees4life said:

And I can't see the DOJ or the FCC giving it a thumbs up...

The FCC won't be involved in this transaction because it doesn't include broadcast licenses (OTA TV stations).

But there are many calls (including a union) for the DOJ to heavily scrutinize this deal. 

• Like 1

I guess after you factor in trying to merge the movie studio side of it....that would be messy.  At least with Disney and 21st century, it was really only those studios whereas Viacom has Paramount and any other studio that CBS or Viacom has their hands on... Trying to combine with Warner Bros would be a mess.

Isn't Paramount half-dead anyway? Half their projects get shuttled off to streamers...

Also, wouldn't Warners have too many mouths to feed if they took on the Paramount/Republic/DW Studios library? Their own movie library is huge as it is...

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Requiere said:

WarnerDiscovery could've been simpler, no?

True, although I'd prefer Warner Discovery myself (i.e., the names "Warner" and "Discovery" separate, as opposed to combining into one word).....

This is one of those times when they probably should have tried to come up with a new corporate name that doesn't integrate either of the two merging companies (for example, "Stellantis" for the FCA/PSA merger).

Trying to combine "Discovery" and any form of "Warner," "Warner Brothers," or "Warner Media" just doesn't sound right.