Gray Television to buy Meredith

I suppose vertical integration isn't out of the question there...

Gray may have dodged a bullet not being able to land TEGNA. It's true that TEGNA has a lot of big, attractive prizes, but the Meredith stations ought to be much easier to integrate, given that there are fewer of them. They're also in a lot of the same markets and they're cheaper!

• Like 1
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You're watching ABC 58/68.2/17.2/40.2 News at 5...Coverage You Can Count On.

Never.  That ship sailed a long time ago.  Even if it was a viable possibility, it was back before Meredith owned channel 17 and WTBS was the "Superstation" that brought TBS to the rest of the country

If I can have it for under $100,000, I'm in, and will just make it look and sound like an ABC O&O again. Any objections? 😂

Posted Images

43 minutes ago, channel2 said:

Gray may have dodged a bullet not being able to land TEGNA. It's true that TEGNA has a lot of big, attractive prizes, but the Meredith stations ought to be much easier to integrate, given that there are fewer of them. They're also in a lot of the same markets and they're cheaper!

Tegna have a LOOOOTTT of problems themselves, yes. Would've been a nightmare of Gray to try to handle that. This deal is better for them. 

6 hours ago, Samantha said:

It might be KTVK that's not in the top 4, but...that's immaterial in this case.

It's hard to tell, since KPNX doesn't brag about being number one anymore (they could be #4 now, given how TEGNA has treated all their properties, as well as their VHF OTA signal, seen as a disadvantage in the digital age. They're working to move to UHF, though). KPHO's strength is its CBS affiliation, not its news department (which benefitted by merging with KTVK, but Meredith's woes as of late might have not helped).

Edited by TVIntheDesert
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, channel2 said:

It's also a much easier acquisition since there is very little overlap, they are in the same regions where they plug holes and the stations have fairly similar styles.

• Like 1