Fox frontrunner for 2nd NHL package (UPDATE: Turner grabbing rights to 2nd NHL package)

Georgie56

11 minutes ago, ScottJ said:

Why does there have to be an OTA component? Outside of the NFL and maybe an occasional ABC simulcast of some ESPN events,  OTA simulcasts of cable sports isn't a thing nowadays. I doubt Turner paid as much as it did for the rights of it wouldn't have the SCF exclusively in the years it has it. 

According to the Collective Bargaining Agreement made in 2005 (which ended the lockout). The Cup Finals must be made available OTA in local NHL markets in which their teams are participating in the Cup Finals.

I dunno which section of the CBA that would fall under as I've been trying to Google that up and ask that on Social Media with no answer. Therefore I cannot verify it to be 100% true until I can get an answer on that from someone who has the information or from a reputable NHL insider.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Georgie56 said:

And CBS is out again.

My question would be, why would AT&T go out and drop $1,575,000,000 on a sports broadcasting package while complaining about their debt?

17 minutes ago, dman748 said:

According to the Collective Bargaining Agreement made in 2005 (which ended the lockout). The Cup Finals must be made available OTA in local NHL markets in which their teams are participating in the Cup Finals.

I dunno which section of the CBA that would fall under as I've been trying to Google that up and ask that on Social Media with no answer. Therefore I cannot verify it to be 100% true until I can get an answer on that from someone who has the information or from a reputable NHL insider.

The 2005 CBA is irrelevant. There was a new CBA ratified in 2013 which is the current agreement and the one that currently applies. Here's the current CBA. Honestly, I don't think the '05 CBA had that clause either. Two games of the SCF have aired on cable (OLN/Vs/NBCSN) every season since at least 2006. Until a legitimate source confirms such a clause exists -- not some random person on Twitter -- I'll assume it's not true.

1 hour ago, TexasTVNews said:

NHL on TNT... Nice ring to it.

You got your wish.

According to the Athletic the majority of the NHL games (including the Cup Finals on the years they'll have them) will be televised by TNT.

TBS will also get some games and HBO Max will have some role in this as well

6 minutes ago, ScottJ said:

The 2005 CBA is irrelevant. There was a new CBA ratified in 2013 which is the current agreement and the one that currently applies. Here's the current CBA. Honestly, I don't think the '05 CBA had that clause either. Two games of the SCF have aired on cable (OLN/Vs/NBCSN) every season since at least 2006. Until a legitimate source confirms such a clause exists -- not some random person on Twitter -- I'll assume it's not true.

I'm looking into it via the 2012 CBA  on the NHLPA website, haven't been able to find it to verify it, so you might be right. I'll keep looking for it though.

15 minutes ago, ScottJ said:

Yeah, most nhl writers know every word of the current CBA contract otherwise it would be brought up. the only one to bring this up is a random Twitter person. It’s not true.

5 hours ago, dman748 said:

You got your wish.

According to the Athletic the majority of the NHL games (including the Cup Finals on the years they'll have them) will be televised by TNT.

TBS will also get some games and HBO Max will have some role in this as well

I'm looking into it via the 2012 CBA  on the NHLPA website, haven't been able to find it to verify it, so you might be right. I'll keep looking for it though.

There is a paywall on the Athletic article. What exactly are they getting?

Also, come NBA/NHL playoff time, things might get tricky, especially in the first and second round. I assume they will have to utilize all four of ESPN/ESPN2/TNT/TBS. 

13 minutes ago, TVNewsLover said:

There is a paywall on the Athletic article. What exactly are they getting?

Also, come NBA/NHL playoff time, things might get tricky, especially in the first and second round. I assume they will have to utilize all four of ESPN/ESPN2/TNT/TBS. 

It doesn't indicate how many games TNT and TBS will get all it says is the majority of them (including the Winter Classic and for 3 out of the 7 years, the Cup Finals) will be on TNT. 

TBS will also get some, they'll most likely be the home for Wednesday Night Hockey due to scheduling conflicts with AEW on TNT.

We'll know a lot more later this morning.

14 hours ago, TexasTVNews said:

NHL on TNT... Nice ring to it.

NHL on HLN…would have been better.

That way, each sport would have its own channel  (NBA on TNT / MLB on TBS / NHL on HLN) and prevent any possible programming conflicts.

On 4/25/2021 at 10:01 AM, ScottJ said:

Fox won't bring that back if they get the rights. As gimmicky as it was,  it actually wasn't a terrible idea in the standard definition days because it was hard to see the puck on the screen. Now with the clarity of HD, that's not a problem so there's no need for the glowing puck. 

In addition, the glow puck couldn't be frozen as low as standard pucks are, due to the electronics. The caused it to perform differently on the ice; it bounced around more, from what I was told. The players were not fond of it.

Official:

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-turner-sports-reach-tv-deal-for-games-on-tnt-tbs/c-324075352

TNT looks to be the primary regular season broadcaster with 72 games (ESPN will have 25) and will be the home of the Winter Classic.  If I were to guess if the NHL keeps its current windows as is, ESPN will takeover Wednesday Night Hockey, ABC the Sunday afternoon game (after the NFL wraps up) and Turner would carry the Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Thursday night games.

It'll be interesting to see how Turner slots their games since they aren't an NFL partner, they aren't beholden to restrictions in slotting other sports against it.

17 hours ago, doublejman69 said:

Yeah, most nhl writers know every word of the current CBA contract otherwise it would be brought up. the only one to bring this up is a random Twitter person. It’s not true.

These were a series of follow up tweets when I tried to seek more info about that

This was my tweet to her 

Then her reply to mine 

And finally what I told her confirming that whatever info this person had been spewing on Twitter in the replies was clearly inaccurate 

6 hours ago, WCAUTVNBC10 said:

Official:

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-turner-sports-reach-tv-deal-for-games-on-tnt-tbs/c-324075352

TNT looks to be the primary regular season broadcaster with 72 games (ESPN will have 25) and will be the home of the Winter Classic.  If I were to guess if the NHL keeps its current windows as is, ESPN will takeover Wednesday Night Hockey, ABC the Sunday afternoon game (after the NFL wraps up) and Turner would carry the Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Thursday night games.

It'll be interesting to see how Turner slots their games since they aren't an NFL partner, they aren't beholden to restrictions in slotting other sports against it.

Wednesday is a major sticking point because TNT has All Elite Wrestling (AEW) on that night. I'm hoping the Wednesday game either goes to TBS or ESPN so that AEW won't be moved. If AEW has to be moved (and TNT carries the Wednesday game) it would have to move to Fridays putting it up against another WWE show (in this case, Smackdown).

But to be fair, AEW has drawn over 1 million viewers in each of its past two Wednesday telecasts; TNT would be crazy to mess with their highest rated show outside of NBA broadcasts..........

In my opinion, this would probably be a good time for AT&T SN/Root to have stronger synergies with Turner Sports. Unify the productions more like (previously) Fox and NBC had historically done on their RSNs. I'm personally shocked they haven't really done anything to tie them together more since the AT&T/Time Warner purchase. In fact, TNT's Latin American division may actually have the answer already:

Esporte-Interativo-TNT-Sports-1000x563-1

This doesn''t redeem how ugly TNT's current logo is, but using their wordmark like that is honestly clever enough,

3 hours ago, J1975am said:

Wednesday is a major sticking point because TNT has All Elite Wrestling (AEW) on that night. I'm hoping the Wednesday game either goes to TBS or ESPN so that AEW won't be moved. If AEW has to be moved (and TNT carries the Wednesday game) it would have to move to Fridays putting it up against another WWE show (in this case, Smackdown).

You'd have to figure there would have to be an occasional TruTV game, especially around the time of the NCAA tournament when TBS/TNT are loaded up on games during the Sweet 16/Elite 8 weekend, or in that first month where Turner will be juggling MLB playoff coverage and a few NBA exhibition games in October (though I really forsee that the NBA could be moving to a permanent Thanksgiving-July schedule like this year).

I am curious to see now that we know NHL Network will continue if they keep the current MLB Network sub-contraction from Secaucus, or it becomes another channel which is run from Atlanta by Turner like NBA TV, along with whether we keep HNIC simulcasts.

4 hours ago, J1975am said:

But to be fair, AEW has drawn over 1 million viewers in each of its past two Wednesday telecasts; TNT would be crazy to mess with their highest rated show outside of NBA broadcasts..........

Yeah I'm fairly certain ESPN will get the Wednesday night game. Their package calls for 25 regular season games, so 25 weeks would give us an entire season worth of games, give or take the occasional ABC game which I'm certain will be relegated to weekends. If they want to continue the Wednesday Night doubleheaders, TNT/TBS would take the west coast game. 

4 hours ago, WCAUTVNBC10 said:

Yeah I'm fairly certain ESPN will get the Wednesday night game. Their package calls for 25 regular season games, so 25 weeks would give us an entire season worth of games, give or take the occasional ABC game which I'm certain will be relegated to weekends. If they want to continue the Wednesday Night doubleheaders, TNT/TBS would take the west coast game. 

3 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Don't ESPN carry the NBA on Wednesday Nights?....

I replied this after the first time it was posted and he seemed to gloss over it. No way ESPN moves the NBA off Wednesdays. 

Most people seem to forget when ESPN acquired the NBA, the NHL got knocked off Wednesdays and bumped to ESPN2. 

3 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

I replied this after the first time it was posted and he seemed to gloss over it. No way ESPN moves the NBA off Wednesdays. 

Most people seem to forget when ESPN acquired the NBA, the NHL got knocked off Wednesdays and bumped to ESPN2. 

I believe that if there's a Wednesday Night package carved out, it'll be carved out for Turner where it will most likely go to TBS because honestly after NBCU tried moving Wrestling off Wednesdays on USA there's no way Turner will try to pull that off for TNT and AEW. 

The other option could be TNT uses AEW as a lead in to the NHL on Wednesday Nights, and TBS might do a 7pm ET Wednesday Night slate.

We'll see what Turner and the NHL is able to carve out.

Archived