Fox frontrunner for 2nd NHL package (UPDATE: Turner grabbing rights to 2nd NHL package)

Georgie56

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, SoFloTVClassics said:

Oh boy.

Glowing hockey puck, anyone?

Fox won't bring that back if they get the rights. As gimmicky as it was,  it actually wasn't a terrible idea in the standard definition days because it was hard to see the puck on the screen. Now with the clarity of HD, that's not a problem so there's no need for the glowing puck. 

5 hours ago, ScottJ said:

Fox won't bring that back if they get the rights. As gimmicky as it was,  it actually wasn't a terrible idea in the standard definition days because it was hard to see the puck on the screen. Now with the clarity of HD, that's not a problem so there's no need for the glowing puck. 

Plus with the advancements in 4K TV the odds of seeing the glowing puck happening is at a near if not, right at exactly 0%.

That we can definitely agree on.

Just now, dman748 said:

Plus with the advancements in 4K TV the odds of seeing the glowing puck happening is at a near if not, right at exactly 0%.

That we can definitely agree on.

It should be noted that over the last few years the NHL has tried to add stat-tracking features to the puck (which could presumably feature on-screen tracking), but pulled it for now since the players thought they were wonky.

• Georgie56 changed the title to Fox frontrunner for 2nd NHL package (UPDATE: CBS/Turner grabbing rights to 2nd NHL package)
  • Georgie56 changed the title to Fox frontrunner for 2nd NHL package (UPDATE: Turner grabbing rights to 2nd NHL package)
9 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

UPDATE: It looks like CBS will be involved after all.

Which makes sense, because according to the broadcasting section of the NHL's Collective Bargining Agreement, at minimum, most of the Cup Finals must be made OTA. I asked on that tweet to the person which section of the CBA specifically states that but somewhere in that CBA it states that.

I have a feeling this is going to be a deal similar to the 2014 deal with Rogers Media where WarnerMedia sublicenses a certain number of NHL games to CBS. The only thing that WarnerMedia won't have is the exclusive rights.

1 hour ago, dman748 said:

Which makes sense, because according to the broadcasting section of the NHL's Collective Bargining Agreement, at minimum, most of the Cup Finals must be made OTA. I asked on that tweet to the person which section of the CBA specifically states that but somewhere in that CBA it states that.

I have a feeling this is going to be a deal similar to the 2014 deal with Rogers Media where WarnerMedia sublicenses a certain number of NHL games to CBS. The only thing that WarnerMedia won't have is the exclusive rights.

I don’t think that true, NBCSN has aired many finals games. Maybe it’s possible that turner will sublease some games to CBS but every other year expect to see at least some finals games on cable.

7 minutes ago, doublejman69 said:

I don’t think that true, NBCSN has aired many finals games. Maybe it’s possible that turner will sublease some games to CBS but every other year expect to see at least some finals games on cable.

I dunno, I see huge red flags now that its confirmed that it is indeed Turner and Turner only with the NHL (especially the Cup Finals)

There's no way that the Cup Finals can't be exclusive to Cable/Streaming, there has to be at least some OTA component to this especially for markets with teams participating in the Stanley Cup.

9 minutes ago, dman748 said:

I dunno, I see huge red flags now that its confirmed that it is indeed Turner and Turner only with the NHL (especially the Cup Finals)

There's no way that the Cup Finals can't be exclusive to Cable/Streaming, there has to be at least some OTA component to this especially for markets with teams participating in the Stanley Cup.

Should wait until final confirmation with some much conflicting Information but NBCSN already air finals game without any OTA in local markets.

1 minute ago, doublejman69 said:

Should wait until final confirmation with some much conflicting Information but NBCSN already air finals game without any OTA in local markets.

Short answer: No. 

4 minutes ago, doublejman69 said:

In 2011, the SCF games on what was then Versus were available in Boston on WHDH.

1 hour ago, dman748 said:

Why does there have to be an OTA component? Outside of the NFL and maybe an occasional ABC simulcast of some ESPN events,  OTA simulcasts of cable sports isn't a thing nowadays. I doubt Turner paid as much as it did for the rights if it wouldn't have the SCF exclusively in the years it has it. 

Archived