Who will replace Hal Fishman?

fan of la tv

Hal was a great broadcaster. But as the future goes on, who do you think will replace him? As Frank Buckley was filling in for him as he was in the hospital, as soon as Hal passed away, Carlos Amezcua has filled in.

Do you think they will shift Carlos from mornings to nights? I don't think Frank Buckley will be chosen. Or do you think they will hire someone new?

I think Carlos will be promoted to nights. He's been on the mornings for 16 years and I think the KTLA Morning Show has been on the decline for the last couple years. IMO, there is no reason to keep him in the mornings. Plus, I know Carlos was looking to move from KTLA a few years back for higher profile positions. Maybe KTLA will give him this promotion to keep him here longer.

Right now it's too early to find a replacement for Hal. That being said, there is no doubt that it will be a hard decision to replace Hal Fishman. He was an institution at not only KTLA but in Los Angeles television. I read that KTLA hired Frank Buckley to be the replacement once Hal left. I don't really like Frank as a replacement, Carlos would be a good fit. However that would require him to leave the morning show, which will lower ratings in an already tight race between KTLA and FOX 11. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next few months at KTLA. The next anchor will have big shoes to fill, something that he or she will probably not fill.

KTLA will continue its decline, now that Hal is gone. KTTV and KCAL are already leading in the ratings, while KTLA has fallen down...no thanks to ND Vinnie Malcolm and his wild and crazy ways. If KTLA want's to succeed...it has to dump Vinnie and find someone who can focus less on beating FOX and more on that classic style of Journalism. It's a start that Jeff Wald has been removed.

BTW....Let Carlos stay on the morning show and have Walter Richards take over at 10pm. He seems good. Frank Buckley and Leela Feinstein would look like a Ken and Barbie combo.

KTLA really needs to drop their rap music video promo.

Once again, Vinnie's Idea. Bear in mind, Tribune has been in decline for sometime with its impending sale and many of its stations (i.e. KSWB, WLVI, WPHL) dropping news, while other stations are losing viewers and money.

For sometime, there has been a rumor circulating that KTLA would cancel its newscasts if ratings did not improve, what with KTTV and KCAL ranking higher. Besides they've got better, more tenured people.

For example, John Beard and Christine Devine, despite how sensationalistic and tabloidish KTTV's newscasts are, have been anchoring together since 1993. KTTV has, since the 90's, had a reputation of keeping many of its staffers for a long period of time. Tony McEwing and Jean Martirez have anchored the Morning News and Steve, Doro, and Jill have been holding fort at GDLA, both since 1995

Hal Fishman and KTLA, on the other hand, has been through at least six co-anchors over the past 20 years (Debby Davison, Tiiu Leek, Jann Carl, Terry Anzur, Lynette Romero, and Leila Feinsten). KTLA has also been through numerous sportscasters (Joe Buttita, Steve Roan, Mike Botula, Keith Olberman, Stu Nahan, Tony Hernandez, Leila Feinstein, and Damon Andrews). Essentially it seems as if Hal, Stan Chambers, Marta Waller, and Larry McCormick are the only old-timers at 10pm. Of course, the morning show has also had similar results.

KTLA is in trouble now...and the once great station we in the southland have celebrated for 60 years, is on the brink of doom.

While I heard that rumor too about the newscasts being canceled if ratings don't improve, I think its just that, a rumor. I think Vinnie M said that at one time but I do not think he was serious. Even though ratings are down compared to what they were, news still makes money for the station. If they canceled it, what would they replace it with, syndicated rerun sitcoms. THose may have brought in big ratings 10-20 years ago, but the choice of quality sitcoms have really been bad lately and ratings would be no better.

Just my opinion.

We shall see what happens with Prime News in the next couple months.

I don't KTLA would kill off News at Ten(I mean Prime News). I cant see it happening there would be protests(small protest mind you, Protest none the less), Carlos should be made Senior Anchor. Unless the new news director would open position for hiring outside the station. There are quite a few people in town who like the chance to fill Hal's seat. They could hire John Beard from Fox to boost ratings, Harold Greene(and his former colleagues Kerry Kilbride, or David Jackson )from KCAL 9/CBS 2. David Ono or Marc Brown from Eyewitness News let alone other from out of town.

To improve KTLA elevate Carlos to Prime News, hire a new weathercaster, hire a new anchor for the Morning Show.

I don't KTLA would kill off News at Ten(I mean Prime News). I cant see it happening there would be protests(small protest mind you, Protest none the less), Carlos should be made Senior Anchor. Unless the new news director would open position for hiring outside the station. There are quite a few people in town who like the chance to fill Hal's seat. They could hire John Beard from Fox to boost ratings, Harold Greene(and his former colleagues Kerry Kilbride, or David Jackson )from KCAL 9/CBS 2. David Ono or Marc Brown from Eyewitness News let alone other from out of town.

To improve KTLA elevate Carlos to Prime News, hire a new weathercaster, hire a new anchor for the Morning Show.

Those guys are staying put in their respective stations or field.

Carlos Amezcua did anchor last week's editions of Prime News, so my money is placed squarely on Carlos as being the KTLA's new main anchor. He did an adequate job and I found him a lot more watchable than Hal Fishman was (sorry, but I just didn't like him). They'll probably just move Emmitt Miller into Carlos's old spot on the Morning Show, and then look for a new anchor to take over Emmitt's old spot. It's the easiest and cheapest solution.

Carlos Amezcua did anchor last week's editions of Prime News, so my money is placed squarely on Carlos as being the KTLA's new main anchor. He did an adequate job and I found him a lot more watchable than Hal Fishman was (sorry, but I just didn't like him). They'll probably just move Emmitt Miller into Carlos's old spot on the Morning Show, and then look for a new anchor to take over Emmitt's old spot. It's the easiest and cheapest solution.

It's the Tribune Way!

Carlos Amezcua adaquate job? Carlos Amezcua is the face of todays Los Angeles. He's also a seasoned professional. Hal Fishman, as good as he was, was OLD Los Angeles. I am ONLY betting on Carlos Amezcua being awarded the job of anchor of the 10 PM news. I expect the ratings in younger demos to INCREASE with him. He's a much better "face" for a CW lead-out newscast and Los Angeles of today and future and still an excellent pro. Watch the ratings CLIMB with him. All of you on posting in this thread are quite shortsighted.

Emmitt Miller is DULLSVILLE. But whoever will work the cheapest for the KTLA Morning News, Show, whatever it is will get that gig.

Emmitt Miller is DULLSVILLE. But whoever will work the cheapest for the KTLA Morning News, Show, whatever it is will get that gig.

I have a pretty good feeling about Carlos as an anchor, but I don't think ratings will increase as KTLA has cheapened its production and has the fewest staff in its 10pm show. FOX11 and KCAL are far larger than KTLA what with its reporters, certified meteorologists (Rick Dickert and Josh Rubinstein are meteorologists btw), and sports desks. KTLA has began to rely too heavily on CNN/AP reporters. It's weather girl looks like someone whose better off working at Starbucks, and Damon Andrews is a one-man band in the sports department, Ditto for Frank Buckley on the weekends. FOX11 has also had similar problems with staffing as many of its staff have been fired or have left over the years, but they have managed to keep many of its staples such as Tony Valdez and Chris Blatchford.

Also You must remember, that John Beard and Christine Devine (who has been there since 91), Mark Thompson (Whose been there since 92/93) and Rick Garcia (whose been there since 87) have been anchoring together since 1993, while KTLA has been through numerous anchor women and sports staff. First Jann Carl, then Terry Anzur, then Lynette Romero who was dropped in 2004 for the more attractive Leila Feinstein. For many years, KTLA has not had a weather anchor since the departure of Roland Galvan in the early 2000's and the Sports Department has seen many changes (Stu Nahan, Tony Hernandez, Steve Grad, Claudia Trejos, Ed Arnold, and now Damon Andrews).

KTLA is losing mainly because its staff doesn't have the staying power that other stations have. Sure they have kept Hal, Stan, Carlos and a few others...but Tribune needs to get its heads straight.

I have a pretty good feeling about Carlos as an anchor, but I don't think ratings will increase as KTLA has cheapened its production and has the fewest staff in its 10pm show. FOX11 and KCAL are far larger than KTLA what with its reporters, certified meteorologists (Rick Dickert and Josh Rubinstein are meteorologists btw), and sports desks. KTLA has began to rely too heavily on CNN/AP reporters. It's weather girl looks like someone whose better off working at Starbucks, and Damon Andrews is a one-man band in the sports department, Ditto for Frank Buckley on the weekends. FOX11 has also had similar problems with staffing as many of its staff have been fired or have left over the years, but they have managed to keep many of its staples such as Tony Valdez and Chris Blatchford.

Also You must remember, that John Beard and Christine Devine (who has been there since 91), Mark Thompson (Whose been there since 92/93) and Rick Garcia (whose been there since 87) have been anchoring together since 1993, while KTLA has been through numerous anchor women and sports staff. First Jann Carl, then Terry Anzur, then Lynette Romero who was dropped in 2004 for the more attractive Leila Feinstein. For many years, KTLA has not had a weather anchor since the departure of Roland Galvan in the early 2000's and the Sports Department has seen many changes (Stu Nahan, Tony Hernandez, Steve Grad, Claudia Trejos, Ed Arnold, and now Damon Andrews).

KTLA is losing mainly because its staff doesn't have the staying power that other stations have. Sure they have kept Hal, Stan, Carlos and a few others...but Tribune needs to get its heads straight.

Oh please, CNN has a much larger staff than Fox News Channel. Who is the winner? It's not how many bodies you have working for you. It's how your product is presented.

Granted, KTLA has some real lightweights on the air now. Carlos is really going to have to hold up that 10 PM newscast by himself. At least he had pros like Mark and Sam in the morning.

But the 'cast does have a younger "feel" to it now which will flow better with the CW. Carlos is now the only Hispanic male anchor on an evening newscast on any Los Angles English language station. Pretty odd considering nearly half of Los Angeles County is Hispanic.

I don't know what you mean that KTLA hasn't had a weather person since Roland Galvan. They've had two. In Los Angeles you don't need a meterologist. Fritz isn't and it doesn't matter. Rick Dickert and Josh Rubinstein aren't on the 10 PM shows on 9 or 11. I think of each of them as "lightweights". They're no Fritz Coleman, Dallas Raines or Johnny Mountain (those are the only three "stars" of weather in L.A.). Really, we don't care about weather. It's always 80 and sunny here. How hard is it to forecast that?

Oh please, CNN has a much larger staff than Fox News Channel. Who is the winner? It's not how many bodies you have working for you. It's how your product is presented.

Granted, KTLA has some real lightweights on the air now. Carlos is really going to have to hold up that 10 PM newscast by himself. At least he had pros like Mark and Sam in the morning.

But the 'cast does have a younger "feel" to it now which will flow better with the CW. Carlos is now the only Hispanic male anchor on an evening newscast on any Los Angles English language station. Pretty odd considering nearly half of Los Angeles County is Hispanic.

I don't know what you mean that KTLA hasn't had a weather person since Roland Galvan. They've had two. In Los Angeles you don't need a meterologist. Fritz isn't and it doesn't matter. Rick Dickert and Josh Rubinstein aren't on the 10 PM shows on 9 or 11. I think of each of them as "lightweights". They're no Fritz Coleman, Dallas Raines or Johnny Mountain (those are the only three "stars" of weather in L.A.). Really, we don't care about weather. It's always 80 and sunny here. How hard is it to forecast that?

First off, learn how to quote properly. I don't like being misquoted (I never said Emmitt Miller is "DULLSVILLE"...I believe those were CalItalian's words), and I doubt you would appreciate it either.

That being said, you do raise a point: Carlos Amezcua would be the only Hispanic male anchor on a nightside show, something that I didn't realize. I do think the odd pairing of Hal Fishman with Leila Feinstein led somewhat to the ultimate downfall of KTLA's 10:00 p.m. newscast. What news manager in his or her right mind would stick a guy next to a woman who seems young enough to be his granddaughter?

It's still shocking for me to see Feinstein go from a general assignment reporting job at KRON to lead co-anchor at KTLA, but I digress... Anyway, it'll be interesting to compare the November book with the May '07 book and see if there's any sort of bump in KTLA's otherwise mediocre ratings at 10:00 p.m.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived