2021 Summer Olympics

Georgie56

• Georgie56 changed the title to 2021 Summer Olympics

I'm actually a little surprised that anyone will be doing anything from Japan. I figured with the pandemic and the restriction on foreign spectators that everyone would be remote, and leaning on OBS for the actual coverage of events.

About the only benefit to having a local set is having athletes drop in for interviews, and I wonder if they'll even be able to do that under COVID protocols.

It will be interesting to see NBC's roster.

I'm thinking a new play by play announcer for Track. Leigh Diffey has been a big part of regular track events for a few years ago. Tom Hammond hasn't done anything for NBC Sports since 2018. He seemed to be phoning it in in 2016. I assume Basketball will be handled by one of the NBC RSN NBA announcers.  Can't wait.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

More NBC pxp announcers disclosed.

Shane Bacon - golf (in Tokyo)

Jack Benjamin - various events 

Krista Blunk - various events 

Brendan Burke - rowing/canoe sprint 

Rupert Cox - rugby (from Sky Sports in the UK)

Noah Eagle - 3-on-3 basketball 

Patrick Kinas - some swimming events

Rich Lerner - golf (in Tokyo)

Chris Lewis - table tennis

Courtney Lyle - field hockey

Beth Mowins - softball

Kate Scott - basketball

Matt Winer - handball

Jason Benetti - baseball

And others here.

3 hours ago, danderson500 said:

Shocked that USA will have swimming and track, i tohught that nBC would hold those for primetime.

Since Japanese primetime is during Today, you really don't want the diehards to have to wait twelve hours to watch. You want it edited with 43 video packages, watch NBC...otherwise just watch USA.

3 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

Shep kind of surprised me as host until I found out he actually is a huge sports fan when he's not anchoring.

I knew Kathryn was going to be a studio host as she's already a studio host on a lot of NBC Sports events.

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

Question:

I thought I heard somewhere that NBC will air the Olympics (not only prime time of course) but also LIVE in all time zones.  So, the LIVE on the east coast (correct me if I'm wrong) is going to be like starting 7AM on the East Coast.  

Did I hear correct?

-- Matt

• 1 month later...

KUSA didn't send anyone over to tokyo for the Olympics, the first time since they started airing the Olympics in 1996. Instead they will be covering it from there "Mountain News Room" & through the resources of NBC News Channel.   They said this morning there equipment that was sent to the network warehouse in New Jersey way back in June was returned by NBC on Wednesday.  

CBC's graphics/intros look very polygonial this year, and I think they might have finally gotten past their use of the stock OBS lower thirds.

The sub-licensees - Sportsnet and TSN - typically use their own studios but the CBC graphics package. This time around, it looks like that Sportsnet is using their outgoing NHL studio at the CBC building (it looked like this angle but I think with the desk moved closer to the video wall behind them) with different graphics and duratrans (coincidentally before Rogers took over, CBC similarly gave their old Hockey Night in Canada studio a last hurrah by reskinning it for the 2014 FIFA World Cup).

Archived