NBC6 SF Getting New Set

ABC 7 Denver

A new wall recently went cutting off some areas of the studio and reducing the space that meteorologists have to work in. I asked one of the meteorologists about it. Here's our conversation:

image.png.522bb2e1a1b61ed21b1b7689e99772bd.png

image.png.5033ce6a8f4b8eec3cf9555cb7be2600.png

I'll let you know as more news becomes available.

Thats interesting to hear. In the last few years they've had a few set up dates including the back monitor wall behind the news desk and in the weather center and when the pandemic started the minor updates to the desk for social distancing. Can't wait to see what it will look like.

Off-topic but I'd like to think of Steve MacLaughlin as kind and jovial as he comes off as on-screen, so it's nice to see him share some details, though I know you both could be friends. 

Anyways, going off the trends at KNBC, WBTS, and especially WNBC/WCAU, etc. -- they've all vastly increased the use of standing and huge screens to illustrate their point, with KNBC using AR as well. WTVJ seemed due for a refresh with their multiple desks and chroma key so I'm excited to see the changes. Wondering if KXAS might be next, given they hardly sit at the desk anymore.

WNBC anchors mostly stand now and use the full screen for graphics.  It actually works out.  When Lester Holt is in the studio, he is mostly standing now too.  The only show with some sitting is Today in New York which is 3 hours long.

19 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Off-topic but I'd like to think of Steve MacLaughlin as kind and jovial as he comes off as on-screen, so it's nice to see him share some details, though I know you both could be friends. 

Anyways, going off the trends at KNBC, WBTS, and especially WNBC/WCAU, etc. -- they've all vastly increased the use of standing and huge screens to illustrate their point, with KNBC using AR as well. WTVJ seemed due for a refresh with their multiple desks and chroma key so I'm excited to see the changes. Wondering if KXAS might be next, given they hardly sit at the desk anymore.

He appears to be a super nice guy, always interacting with followers on social media. I am excited for this new set.

Okay, so this is interesting and Steve is actually *kinda* right. WTVJ's set debuted in 2012 so its almost 10 years old at this point and while the monitors are great and all, it is starting to get dated already.

Let's see what WTVJ comes up with but I don't expect any changes to its music or its graphics.

7 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Okay, so this is interesting and Steve is actually *kinda* right. WTVJ's set debuted in 2012 so its almost 10 years old at this point and while the monitors are great and all, it is starting to get dated already.

Let's see what WTVJ comes up with but I don't expect any changes to its music or its graphics.

Aren't the NBC O&O's due for a graphics refresh? Basically since 2008 they've refreshed the graphics every 4 years around the Olympics. Since Tokyo didn't happen last year due to the pandemic I'd suspect changes would be in order this year. Especially since they're getting a new set. This is the first O&O to show any signs of change. It'll be interesting to see what happens. 

5 hours ago, NBC 5 Chicago said:

Aren't the NBC O&O's due for a graphics refresh? Basically since 2008 they've refreshed the graphics every 4 years around the Olympics. Since Tokyo didn't happen last year due to the pandemic I'd suspect changes would be in order this year. Especially since they're getting a new set. This is the first O&O to show any signs of change. It'll be interesting to see what happens. 

Most likely. I could see them doing a phased roll out between the Summer Olympics and the Super Bowl/Winter Olympics. I wonder if the recently redesigned weather graphics are any indication of what a new look would look like or if they would do something completely different.

Well hopefully it will be a major refresh since it’s overdue.

CBS on the other hand is going thru the failed “NBC Look E” phase with its CBSN Graphics mish mashing on its O&O’s 

On 4/14/2021 at 10:05 AM, NBC 5 Chicago said:

A few of the stations need a new set like WVIT (2009, since they moved into their new building and became NBC Connecticut), WRC (2010, set updated many times), and WMAQ (2012)

1 hour ago, RGSJenkins said:

WMAQ (2012)

Only the desk remains from the 2012 launch. Every other piece has been replaced a handful of times. The weather center is on its 2nd/3rd incarnation (a refresh followed by complete) replacement), the anchor backdrop went from a 3x3 to the "windows" to the current seamless video wall, and the sports/standup area has been refreshed or remodeled at least twice, if not more. A new desk would finally complete the overhaul.

2 hours ago, iron_lion said:

WNBC next hopefully! Their 2016 update was not an upgrade. Studio 3K looks like a very downscaled version of Studio 3C which looked vastly superior. 

'

Actually you have that backwards.  3C is half the size of 3K (1310 vs. 2668) based on NBC Universal's studio website.  By moving to 3K, they expanded the weather center and widened the main anchor area.  They are also able to show full studio views, something they could not do in 3K.  Yes, they kept the same basic look as 3C when they flipped studios with Nightly News, but expanded the space.  They do need to update the studio with more full height video walls now that the anchors mostly stand.

https://universalstudioslot.com/nyc-stages

• 1 month later...

Last night they began broadcasting from their temp set. Looks to be a new desk with what looks to be a 3x3 monitor wall behind. They have a stand up position as well with what looks to be the old blue wall from the wx center and a tv on a pole.

** As of this afternoon the stand up area with the pole has been replaced  

FF59072D-F406-4EE7-8F3A-E3E4B0E38EBB.jpeg

A9EFC708-03D6-41BA-92AE-91AD95DC29D5.png

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/15/2021 at 12:07 PM, RGSJenkins said:

A few of the stations need a new set like WVIT (2009, since they moved into their new building and became NBC Connecticut), WRC (2010, set updated many times), and WMAQ (2012)

With NBC moving its network news operations over closer to Capitol Hill, after departing WRC's Nebraska Avenue building.  It'll be interesting to see whether WRC newscasts may move into old Meet The Press studio and Telemundo newscasts gets WRC current studio space.  I guess we may wait and see.

Archived