UK: Prince Phillip death upends broadcast schedules

The Duke of Edinburgh died this morning at Windsor Castle at the age of 99, following a spell of poor health. In light of the news, the BBC has suspended all programming for the day, including The One Show...

All BBC radio stations, including Radio 1 and 1Xtra, simultaneously aired BBC Radio 4’s broadcast. It is expected that programming will be changed across the major TV and radio stations tonight in light of the news, with ITV suspending all programming up until 6pm at least.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/04/09/prince-philip-dead-the-one-show-cancelled-on-bbc-one-14383666/?ito=cbshare

10 hours ago, JosiahCubed said:

Yes, apparently The BBC has suspended programming until either 6am or 10am BST tomorrow morning.

Read earlier today that they were possibly suspending programing until Noon BST Saturday.     It would be interesting to see what they are airing right now on BBC1 or BBC2, I know that BBC World News has had continuous news programing today talking about Prince Phillip.  

2 hours ago, DENDude said:

Read earlier today that they were possibly suspending programing until Noon BST Saturday.     It would be interesting to see what they are airing right now on BBC1 or BBC2, I know that BBC World News has had continuous news programing today talking about Prince Phillip.  

13 hours ago, JosiahCubed said:

Yes, apparently The BBC has suspended programming until either 6am or 10am BST tomorrow morning.

Has anyone recorded what (if anything) BBC is showing during the programming suspension?  I'd be curious to know.

I did manage to find this video of how BBC first broke the news of Prince Philip's passing.  This was recorded from BBC One, which shows a few seconds of normal programming and then the interruption.

And here's how ITV broke the news on their channel.

3 hours ago, AmericanErrorist said:

BBC Radio 1 Dance's transition was less than flawless:

Edit: Radio 1, 1Xtra and 1 Dance have moved on to somber instrumental tracks. Radio 2 and Radio 3 also running similar-styled music.

Isn't it automated to override the schedule in the event of the death of a member of the Royal Family?

4 hours ago, JosiahCubed said:

Yup. They did this when Princess Diana and Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother died in '97 and 2002 respectively.

And OT, IINM, the same thing was done here in America when Anna Nicole Smith died (practical wall-to-wall coverage). 

24 minutes ago, bmasters1 said:

And OT, IINM, the same thing was done here in America when Anna Nicole Smith died (practical wall-to-wall coverage). 

Yeah, but they didn't play the national anthem.

Any footage on how the news was received in other countries, particularly places sharing the monarch?

Maybe it's because people were tired of hearing about death and everything. I mean, just as His Royal Highness was lying in his deathbed, Northern Ireland was in chaos.

4 hours ago, AmericanErrorist said:

While I understand, I can't wait to see how they react when his dear wife THE QUEEN meets her eventual fate. Were they not prepared what was going down, or were they clearly just bitchin'? Off topic a bit but I gotta checkout gogglebox.

8 hours ago, justin2kx said:

While I understand, I can't wait to see how they react when his dear wife THE QUEEN meets her eventual fate. Were they not prepared what was going down, or were they clearly just bitchin'?

The Brits have their own soap operas (last night, Emmerdale), so just think of any news in America and the usual folks calling about The Bachelor or General Hospital being pre-empted. It's a universal issue. Also, to me those British ratings Deadline got thier bee in a bonnet about don't look unusually low; it's a Friday, their lowest-watched night. 🤷🏽‍♀️

And yesterday after the death was announced, BBC World News in the US basically became BBC1 for a few hours and simulcast their coverage. Folks on BBC America were guided to BBC World News to watch and they didn't interrupt their usual programming.

22 hours ago, TheRyan said:

I did manage to find this video of how BBC first broke the news of Prince Philip's passing.  This was recorded from BBC One, which shows a few seconds of normal programming and then the interruption.

And here's how ITV broke the news on their channel.

Apparently my earlier statement regarding BBC's initial coverage was incorrect.   As I understand it, the news of Prince Philip's passing was first reported on the BBC News Channel (which was being simulcast on BBC Two).  Their 12:00 news was already in progress; the news anchor reported it right after a news story had finished.  And then, a few moments later, it was reported on BBC One (which I'm assuming included the other BBC TV channels).  I would be curious to see if anyone has a more complete recording of the BBC News Channel after the initial report.   Someone put together a montage of how major broadcasters in the UK broke the news on their respective channels.

(Skip to 2:24 for BBC's initial report on the BBC News Channel.)

15 hours ago, TheRyan said:

I would be curious to see if anyone has a more complete recording of the BBC News Channel after the initial report.  

Here:

You can see starting at 2:30 two journalists getting out of their chairs and running out. The following shot of Martine Croxall shows a third journalist walking briskly in the newsroom. Apparently this was the moment the news of his death was announced. Meanwhile, the presenter is noticeably speaking very quickly when introducing the first story. It appears she had also found out as well, but needed time to prepare for the announcement. At 2:57, a fourth journalist is seen running. After the report, at 12:04 PM (5:30), she announces Prince Phillip's death, and is noticeably shaken. At 6:11, file video comes up on the screen. 9:13, the graphics disappear. Thirty seconds later, a monochrome globe graphic slide appears to signal to commence the official announcement on BBC One in the UK (BBC World News had joined in earlier). 9:52, Croxall is no longer wearing her necklace, and is now wearing a black sweater to officially declare that Prince Phillip has died.

On 4/11/2021 at 5:01 PM, E. R. said:

Here:

You can see starting at 2:30 two journalists getting out of their chairs and running out. The following shot of Martine Croxall shows a third journalist walking briskly in the newsroom. Apparently this was the moment the news of his death was announced. Meanwhile, the presenter is noticeably speaking very quickly when introducing the first story. It appears she had also found out as well, but needed time to prepare for the announcement. At 2:57, a fourth journalist is seen running. After the report, at 12:04 PM (5:30), she announces Prince Phillip's death, and is noticeably shaken. At 6:11, file video comes up on the screen. 9:13, the graphics disappear. Thirty seconds later, a monochrome globe graphic slide appears to signal to commence the official announcement on BBC One in the UK (BBC World News had joined in earlier). 9:52, Croxall is no longer wearing her necklace, and is now wearing a black sweater to officially declare that Prince Phillip has died.

This is an incredible find and thank you for sharing this.  In my opinion, Martine Croxall handled the breaking news very well.  I imagine the pressure had to be unimaginable to deliver such a headline to millions of people worldwide.  They can prepare and rehearse such a scenario, but at the end of the day it's always a shock when it actually happens.

On a side note, I'm mildly surprised that they didn't cut to a filler or some type of break to allow her a brief opportunity to get ready for the announcement.  The fact she was able to prepare for the "official" bulletin while talking on air is remarkable.

Being a Commonwealth realm, the Australian Broadcasting Corporation was one of the first to break the news down under of Prince Philip's death.  They also followed protocol of presenters and journalists wearing funeral attire, but no playing of the Royal Anthem (which remains God Save the Queen) or the National Anthem.

Archived