Newsy to launch as OTA subchannel

CircleSeven

Scripps is launching Newsy as an OTA subchannel in October. Newsy went from being an OTT channel then launched on satellite/cable and now is launching OTA. Wonder will any of the streaming news channels like ABC News Live launch OTA now? https://tvnewscheck.com/top-news/journalism/article/scripps-to-offer-newsy-as-free-ota-network/

5 hours ago, Yankees4life said:

Someone in this board already called this happening. Obviously, this will be on ION's "hub"

I was one of them.

3 hours ago, ScottSchell said:

Tulsa already has Newsy as a tv channel.

On cable? Maybe, but NOT over-the-air.

1 hour ago, TheRolyPoly said:

I was one of them.

So was I, I think Scripps will just simply turn Ion O&Os into 24/7 Regional News Channels utilizing a mix of OTA and streaming.

As for Ion itself, Scripps merges it into one of the Court TV networks (Court TV Mystery) and the end result is.. well, Ion.

I'll save additional thoughts for the Speculatron boards.

I don't think Newsy is on some path to become regionalized. It doesn't make sense. All evidence points to the ION stations as being basically nothing more than an OTA endpoint for a national broadcast with little infrastructure to allow for local cut-ins.

This is nothing more than a way to expand Newsy's national reach and charge advertisers more/get more advertisers interested, as the article says.

"...allowing us to further monetize our already unparalleled ad inventory."

The only way I see regionalized Newsy stations happening is when the networks decide that OTA is no longer a business model they want to be involved in.

Ion isn't going anywhere. The plan (as we've known for months now) once Scripps bought Ion was for them to eventually move all their diginets onto the Ion signals. Scripps gets a taste of all the SVU and Blue Bloods rerun viewership $$, and no longer has to worry about finding/negotiating deals in many major markets to get carriage of their diginets. We never really had a Newsy debut timeline until now. 

I think perhaps the most we'll see out of this for Newsy is more staffing/expansion of their regional news "desks", likely in markets where they already have news operations (along with the standard NY/LA/DC desks).

I used to get cable just for the news channels and for college football. I barely watch the Washington propaganda posing as news anymore, but if I ever started to again, this is a positive development. I honestly don't know why CBSN hasn't gone OTA.

On 4/7/2021 at 5:44 AM, Weeters said:

This is nothing more than a way to expand Newsy's national reach and charge advertisers more/get more advertisers interested, as the article says.

I lost count of the number of news networks you can get while streaming. You've got ABC, CBSN, NBC, NBC LX, Euro News, Bloomberg, Russia Today, Al Jazeera, Newsnet, Fox News Now and now this?

For what it's worth, what I've seen of NewsY hasn't made me stop and watch for any length of time.

From what I've seen, CBSN is the best.

5 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

I honestly don't know why CBSN hasn't gone OTA.

CBSN recently went OTA in Dallas-Ft. Worth, airing on KTXA's .2 subchannel. Whether this was a quick fix for losing MeTV or part of a larger plan for CBSN to expand to OTA, I don't know.

19 hours ago, The Frog said:

CBSN recently went OTA in Dallas-Ft. Worth, airing on KTXA's .2 subchannel. Whether this was a quick fix for losing MeTV or part of a larger plan for CBSN to expand to OTA, I don't know.

This isn't the national CBSN Is it? Is it still available on the .2 subchannel?

1 hour ago, zeebre12 said:

This isn't the national CBSN Is it? Is it still available on the .2 subchannel?

All I know is that news segments, and simulcast newscasts (Morning, 11, 4-5:30, 6, 10pm) is seen M-F, but stories from the national CBSN can be seen on weekends. And I think they simulcast weekend news on CBSN DFW.

On 4/7/2021 at 4:16 PM, DirtyHarry said:

I lost count of the number of news networks you can get while streaming. You've got ABC, CBSN, NBC, NBC LX, Euro News, Bloomberg, Russia Today, Al Jazeera, Newsnet, Fox News Now and now this?

Newsy existed before some of these services, including ABC, CBSN, NBC NN, NN from FOX, NewsNet and others.

On a different note...

At least we know one affiliate planning to carry Newsy OTA: Scripps' KRIS-DT 6.6 Corpus Christi, as mentioned by RabbitEars.

• 5 months later...

I'm assuming (so I could be wrong!) that most Ion O&O markets with the suite of Scripps diginets will see Newsy appear an October first, much like with the recent launches of Defy and TrueReal. At least I hope so. I'm way more amped at the prospect of receiving Newsy than reruns of Toddlers & Tiaras...

Archived