Is FOX "News" a no-news channel now?

bmasters1

4 hours ago, bmasters1 said:

Apparently, based on reactions to my post and this post, I was incorrect-- FOX has not entirely dispensed with the tickers; there is one on Your World with Neil Cavuto.

Cavuto has always been solid and tries to stick to what's worked for him for 25 years despite all the other changes at the network. It's clear that he likes his 2 hours at Fox Business better than FNC, but even the leftists here (and for the record, I dislike FNC, CNN, and MSNBC all equally) can respect that Neil has pushed back against former president Trump (We don't work for you) (Cutting away from a Trump speech to correct something said about Obama's record). I also appreciate lives with MS, survived cancer, and comes back from vacation to read emails from people hoping he died on air.

Edited by GodfreyGR
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 6/17/2022 at 11:14 AM, ActionTV27 said:

Neil Cavuto is the only one at that network that I can tolerate watching, him and Bret Baier, however Baier does show a bit of right-leaning bias from time to time. Both shows, however, typically run pretty straight with very little radical right veer.

Cavuto is almost like the Neal Boortz of television, just a little less radical. It surprises me that FOX keeps him on the roster given their increasing urge to be Tucker Carlson 24/7 on all shows. If there's one thing I can give the man credit for, he doesn't spit out bullshit for the sake of ratings to pander to a misinformed and uneducated community.

Meanwhile, Baier plays the clearly Republican news man but presents the news in a way that doesn't just completely alienate a certain demographic, and while he has opinionists on his program, he has been known to interject other arguments and even have someone with an alternative view on to interject. His "All-Star Panel" has usually, mostly, featured three people and only one of them, if at all, is typically Democrat. I'd say Baier knows how to skirt the line to keep the network happy but tries to create a semblance of a news show on a non-news extremely right-wing political network. He calls his show "fair, balanced, and unafraid" and I would say that mostly Special Report fills that bill, or at least it's the closest you're going to get on FOX besides Cavuto.

Once Baier and Cavuto leave though, if that ever happens, FOX "News" will be 24/7 right-wing spin.

Agree with everything you said. There's no hope left if or when Cavuto and Baier leave.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 4 months later...

It's not news that Fox isn't news. And yet it is still stunning to read these texts. (Summary: https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/16/media/fox-news-stars-executives-court-documents/index.html)

Fox is NOT an organization simply presenting a conservative spin on the news and fighting to prove their point of view with facts. Instead, they are knowingly LYING to their viewers by feeding them baseless conspiracy theories to make money. Otherwise, these viewers have been conditioned to seek these lies out from other outlets, and Fox can't afford to lose their viewers. They've decided that lies are good for business, but it's awful for a representative democracy and hurts all of us.

Tucker wanted to FIRE a reporter who had the nerve to fact check the former guy via tweet. He said this act of truth telling was "measurably hurting the company." (That tweet was soon deleted.)

Bret Baier, the guy Fox often points to when trying to claim to be a news organization, asked the president of Fox to rescind the network's correct call of Biden winning Arizona. (Fox was the first to accurately make this call, days before other organizations. They soon FIRED their politics editor and Washington bureau chief, both of whom were involved in this accurate projection.)

Fox. Isn't. News.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

“Cable news” is a oxymoron. They all peddle talk and opinion programming to some degree or other. (I count the pointless and vapid talking head interviews and mini-debate segments, but yes, Fox is extremely explicit in showing bias on-air.)

They also attract audiences way out of the money demo. The median age range for a Fox and MSNBC viewer is 69. CNN’s median age range is 66.

I would put into question the actual relevance of the entire genre. Sure, Fox may be #1, but if their demos are that embarrassing, does it even matter?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Myron Falwell said:

“Cable news” is a oxymoron. They all peddle talk and opinion programming to some degree or other. (I count the pointless and vapid talking head interviews and mini-debate segments, but yes, Fox is extremely explicit in showing bias on-air.)

False equivalence. This isn't simply about bias. It's about knowingly spreading baseless and dangerous lies. Fox doesn't believe the disinformation they are peddling. That means they are lying.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Geoffrey said:

False equivalence. This isn't simply about bias. It's about knowingly spreading baseless and dangerous lies. Fox doesn't believe the disinformation they are peddling. That means they are lying.

Doesn't change what I'm saying. None of them are actual "news" channels in the common sense (heck, NewsNation spends more time airing Blue Bloods reruns than they do running actual newscasts). MSNBC is a talk channel with decent amounts of news in the daytime, but they are largely opinion in primetime. CNN is still trying to clean up from the Zucker Era of Disaster and may very well not please anyone in the end.

Fox merely is just flat-out blatant about not being a news channel, they don't care. They don't need any advertisers because of lucrative retransmission fees they reap the rewards from on a continuous basis. Contrary to what others have suggested elsewhere in the thread, there's really no redeeming part of that channel whatsoever. It attracts no one but old people for a reason.

Cable talk as a whole needs to be thrown into obsolescence where it belongs.

Edited by Myron Falwell
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Myron Falwell said:

Fox merely is just flat-out blatant about not being a news channel, they don't care.

I could not disagree more. Fox certainly tries to disguise itself as a news channel. But there is a huge difference between talking about the news and making up the news. And making up the news is called lying, and these texts prove once again that Fox knows they're lying. And it's bad for the country. (See: January 6th and other attacks since then.)

• Like 2

The thing forgotten is that there's still a regular news division, it's just that the radio newscasts and the 24/7 headlines channel on SiriusXM are carrying that 'news' water, along with the short news briefs that now remind me how MTV used to have their 3-minute newscasts at 50 past the hour. So they still have a news operation, but it's been de emphasized so much (along with Fox Business, which just now seems to be FNC2), that only the most knowledgeable about the operation would be able to cite it at all these days. And even the radio news division is now built basically to tee up whatever is about to be talked about on conservative talk radio.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Geoffrey said:

I could not disagree more. Fox certainly tries to disguise itself as a news channel. But there is a huge difference between talking about the news and making up the news. And making up the news is called lying, and these texts prove once again that Fox knows they're lying. And it's bad for the country. (See: January 6th and other attacks since then.)

Fox’s lowest rated dayparts are when they play pretend news. Old angry white people watch it to be lectured to and indoctrinated, they don’t watch for the news or “news”.

• Like 4

Media Matters doesn't matter to them since they don't go after CNN or MSNBC they are left wing and very bias and I don't believe them and what they say about the news side of Fox News anchors Bill Hemmer & John Roberts they don't inject right wing opinion in the newscast. All cable news has pretend news other than breaking news or a major event like what happened in Ohio train and toxic being released in the air and water.

I don't watch primetime opinion shows only one I watched was The O'Reilly Factor his last few years I'd only watch Bill's Talking Point Memos & viewer email as it was same old same old to me, I'd watch Hannity & Colmes from time to time Colmes did keep Sean in check once Sean went solo he had no check Alan was his yin to his yang in my opinion.   

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Caught a glimpse of F&F this morning. For those who watch the drivel with any regularity, is Lawrence a legitimate 4th host of the show or is he used more as a side to Steve, Ainsley and Brian? Also noticed they were sitting at a desk to close the show out.

• 2 weeks later...