KCBS 2/KCAL 9 - CBS Los Angeles News Thread

Roadrunner

...I guess I'll finally be the one to start the CBS 2 News thread? It's a long-time coming, that's for sure. 

I'll kick it off with some sad news for the morning team, which at this point, is not breaking anymore, but should be pointed out:

Alternate Version on Instagram

It does not sound like she was forced out, based on the comments on her social media and appears that she chose to move on, possibly from the industry altogether, and it's nice to see that she was well-liked by her (now-former) colleagues at the station through the comments.

Not aware of any replacement yet. Amber filled in yesterday morning. Markina also appeared recently for the first time in a while (that I've noticed, at least) and we'll see if they'll eventually hire Olga or just continue to make do with her freelancing.

Edited by 24994J

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
3 hours ago, bogusabc7breakingnews said:

A 48 market jump?! I’m all about representation and diversity of newsrooms, it’s long overdue, but from NOLA to an O&O duopoly in LA?! C’mon man! 

You have to remember no one wants to work at KCBS . New Orleans is still a major city . Maybe some of that southern charm may come in handy that’s what that station needs.

• 4 months later...

Congrats to Mike. Hope he rents. The life expectancy of a news director at KCBS isn't that long. As I have said in previous threads, it isn't about ratings, but ad dollars KCBS specifically, must be pulling decent ad revenue because we know the eyeballs aren't there. Despite having respected vets like Pat Harvey, Jim Hill and weathercaster Evelyn Taft- KCBS can't move the needle. Ratings appear to be a bit better during primetime over on KCAL. I would like to see CBS pump a little more money into their west coast flagship to make them competitive a la WCBS.

Edited by FiveNews

On 2/8/2022 at 9:05 PM, FiveNews said:

Congrats to Mike. Hope he rents. The life expectancy of a news director at KCBS isn't that long. As I have said in previous threads, it isn't about ratings, but ad dollars KCBS specifically, must be pulling decent ad revenue because we know the eyeballs aren't there. Despite having respected vets like Pat Harvey, Jim Hill and weathercaster KCBS can't move the needle. Ratings appear to be a bit better during primetime over on KCAL. I would like to see CBS pump a little more money into their west coast flagship to make them competitive a la WCBS.

And adding to your point, if he doesn't change middle management (AND, EP mostly), the station won't be going anywhere fast. Scott Jones mentioned that KCBS/KCAL staffers were telling him that.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Disclaimer:  I'm only a viewer since Jerry Dunphy days  (the 1960s)  and , while I have a couple of friends who have worked at the duopoly,  have no horse in the race.   Suzanne Marques did a better anchoring job over the last four years than I thought she would,  especially during trying times like the Thousand Oaks shooting,  wildfires, and other calamities, which I guess are the litmus test of an L.A. anchor.    I like Chris Holmstrom and figured he'd probably get a weekday job eventually,  especially considering 2/9 has such a small staff.   Marci Gonzalez has a pretty solid resume.     Not to be harsh, but this is a newscast where talented people just make no impact, not that many people watch, they come and go, like Sibila Vargas.  DeMarco Morgan is the latest.  If Kent Shocknek couldn't budge the ratings in a dozen years, who might?...   Pat Harvey is (deservedly in my opinion) the face of the station, but I wonder if she will ever have a real co-anchor again?    is there a bigger role for Ross Palombo?    (that's a lot of questions in a row I realize)

Edited by Nick
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

In a huge and wild shift, KCBS is taking the east coast feed of CBS Mornings and moving most of its morning newscast to KCAL, where it’ll now run from 4am-11am, with a 6am simulcast on KCBS bridging the CBS Mornings double run 

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/kcal-morning-news-first-kcbs-mornings-1235314324/

7 minutes ago, Glimmer said:

In a huge and wild shift, KCBS is taking the east coast feed of CBS Mornings and moving most of its morning newscast to KCAL, where it’ll now run from 4am-11am, with a 6am simulcast on KCBS bridging the CBS Mornings double run 

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/kcal-morning-news-first-kcbs-mornings-1235314324/

Well this is stupid. While it may benefit KCAL, it’ll probably hurt KCBS. Who wants to watch 2 hours of national news and features at 4am and then almost an exact repeat at 7am? Would it not make more sense to simulcast the 4-7am local newscast on 2&9 instead?

In reference to the KCAL announcement - the new national CBS management has recognized what viewers in LA know - the CBS2 news brand has been so damaged since the early 80's it was was time to play on the remaining strength of the KCAL brand for breaking news and power of their 8-11pm news. CBS will get to count the numbers for both airings of the national news on CH2 and get local news revenue for KCAL from 4-11. Sure, it's a risk but give CBS national the benefit for FINALLY trying something new with the duopoly. It's a bit late given the shrinking broadcast audience but let's see how they integrate the stream and social media. NOW, with powerhouse KTLA in the same block and the weak KTTV with the rest of the numbers, how long with CBS hang in for a good demo? See you in September!!! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TVNewsLover said:

Well this is stupid. While it may benefit KCAL, it’ll probably hurt KCBS. Who wants to watch 2 hours of national news and features at 4am and then almost an exact repeat at 7am? Would it not make more sense to simulcast the 4-7am local newscast on 2&9 instead?

I’m just as perplexed as you, but in a way, it makes sense. IIRC, KCBS is near last in the mornings, and try as they might, they can’t dig themselves out of that hole. CBS itself has an interest in boosting its overall numbers for its national morning show. Doing this kills two birds with one stone, while simultaneously making KCAL more of a hyper-local station.

I know this will inevitably lead to more speculation, but I don’t see this happening elsewhere in the station group. IMHO, this is a situation that is unique to KCBS/KCAL. KCBS is especially weak among the O&Os, and KCAL is a station that could use the extra news programming. Although, running news from 4-11am sounds insane, and they better hire more people for that.

EDIT: This portion of the Variety article explains the reasoning.

The decision came after a new management regime installed last year at the now-combined CBS News and Stations division questioned why a station with a strong news brand would sit out the lucrative early morning hours. KCAL at present airs infomercials in the wee hours of the morning and time buys such as “The 700 Club” religious program. KCAL and CBS2 rivals KNBC, KABC, Fox’s KTTV and Nexstar’s KTLA all offer local or national newscasts in the 4 a.m.-9 a.m. span.

“By launching morning news on KCAL 9 and adding a second daily broadcast of ‘CBS Mornings’ on CBS 2, our local-to-global news organization is perfectly positioned to showcase its premium content on our broadcast and streaming channels in the Los Angeles market,” said Wendy McMahon, president and co-head of CBS News and Stations. “As one of the most trusted local news providers in Southern California, the window of opportunity for KCAL 9 News in the morning is wide open. We also believe this is an audience growth opportunity for ‘CBS Mornings’ by giving early risers and commuters in the Los Angeles market the chance to watch live from 4:00-6:00 AM.” 

Edited by nycnewsjunkie

So much News on every channel in LA except from 2-3pm, 3:30-4pm, and 11:35pm - 4am

More car chases to come….

4am - 2pm News

Hour Break from 2 - 3pm

3 - 3:30pm News
(:30 min break)
4 - 11:35pm News 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, SFTV said:

So much News on every channel in LA except from 2-3pm, 3:30-4pm, and 11:35pm - 4am

More car chases to come….

4am - 2pm News

Hour Break from 2 - 3pm

3 - 3:30pm News
(:30 min break)
4 - 11:35pm News 

Umm... KTLA's 3pm news is on for an hour.

It will actually soon be 4am-2pm, hour break from 2-3pm, 3-7:30pm, 30 minute break at 7:30pm and 8-11:35pm once KABC's news on KDOC end due to the latter's sale to TCT.

• 24994J changed the title to KCBS 2/KCAL 9 - CBS Los Angeles News Thread