KCBS 2/KCAL 9 - CBS Los Angeles News Thread

Roadrunner

12 hours ago, JTT said:

I am assuming that Alissa will take some time off since she fainted.  Who will fill in for her?  Why did Mary leave kttv?  I think she's better suited for Ktla or Knbc.

Most likely Mary Yoon or Markina Brown. They seem to be their per-diem mets.

18 hours ago, JTT said:

I am assuming that Alissa will take some time off since she fainted.  Who will fill in for her?  Why did Mary leave kttv?  I think she's better suited for Ktla or Knbc.

Mary Yoon at KTLA? 🤣🤣🤣🤣 please!   She has ZERO personality.  She’d be a better fit with the FAA or an airline meteorologist. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 3/22/2023 at 5:23 PM, FiveNews said:

Paul left due to a battle with alcohol. Can't recall why Tuck left, I believe it was $$. He ended up having a pretty legit career finale down at KFMB San Diego.

I was at KFMB at the time when Tuck came from KCBS. If I remember right the new GM came from WABC and took over KCBS and revamped the whole Anchor line-up letting go Tuck and Linda Alvarez. Tuck came to KFMB and teamed up w/ Denise Yamada at 5pm and Sandra Maas at 630pm. 

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know if something happened to KCBS/KCAL? "KCAL News Mornings" is not having any transmissions made from the studio, only narration and images being interspersed. The weather and traffic is being shown only the graphics on the screen without the participation of the anchor.

• Thought-Provoking 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/6/2023 at 4:45 PM, news2me said:

Just pure curiousity on my part... 

If KCAL9 has higher ratings/profile... why not move the CBS affiliation from Channel 2 to 9? 

If I remember correctly, didn't FOX do something similar in Minneapolis, moving their network from Channel 29 to 9 because KMSP had a higher ratings and better news legacy as an UPN affiliate.

Much different situation.

KMSP-TV was a top-rated VHF independent when it joined Fox as a charter affiliate in '86. But the station (and its then sister KPTV in Portland OR) voluntarily left the network in '88 because Fox's Saturday night schedule drew far fewer viewers than what KMSP programmed independently pre-Fox. Fox was forced to move to a UHF, KITN-TV.

Fast-forward to 2001. Fox purchases KMSP and KPTV's parent Chris-Craft/United. Both are now UPN stations with strong news departments. Fox waited until fall '02 to make the logical move and bring KMSP and KPTV back into the fold. Pre-digital transition, but still working with the New World mentality–better to be on VHF in a major market.

4 hours ago, 24994J said:

Jeff and Juan be like

e75.jpg.15898892eab16173a3e97770d85ef01d.jpg

I would assume that Jeff is the odd man out. He anchors the 5, 8 and 10. Those are the shows Chauncy is taking over. Juan has been there since the mid/late 1990s...he anchors the 4pm and 9pm. 

On 3/30/2023 at 8:04 AM, Media_1904 said:

I was at KFMB at the time when Tuck came from KCBS. If I remember right the new GM came from WABC and took over KCBS and revamped the whole Anchor line-up letting go Tuck and Linda Alvarez. Tuck came to KFMB and teamed up w/ Denise Yamada at 5pm and Sandra Maas at 630pm. 

John Severino,  who'd made KABC's "Eyewitness News" a powerhouse in great part by hiring Jerry Dunphy after KNXT had cut him loose , too old,   came back to take over (I believe) the CBS stations group and run KCBS in 1999. He didn't care for Tuck, was quoted in the L.A. Times as saying "he could go back to San Diego"  and installed Jonathan Elias with Ann Martin.  I liked Elias a lot.     Alvarez returned to 2 a year later.   Severino was responsible for the dual embarrassments of the 4 p.m. "Women 2 Women" show and also the hiring of Mike Boguslawski,  the consumer reporter who'd wave his fists and shout in the camera "I'm in YER COR-NER."

Edited by Nick
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

SIAP....Dani Ruberti joins KCBS/KCAL from Fox13 Utah. I had my TV on KCAL and looked up at the weather. I was shocked to see Dani as I know she was popular in SLC. I was unaware she had SoCal roots. The link below says she will cover WX at 6, 8, 10 and 11. Not sure what happens to Evelyn Taft or if she will go to 4p, 5p and 9pm.

https://www.adweek.com/tvspy/dani-ruberti-joins-kcbs-kcal-in-los-angeles-as-weather-anchor/251127/#:~:text=Dani Ruberti has joined Los,my heart for journalism started.

2 hours ago, FiveNews said:

SIAP....Dani Ruberti joins KCBS/KCAL from Fox13 Utah. I had my TV on KCAL and looked up at the weather. I was shocked to see Dani as I know she was popular in SLC. I was unaware she had SoCal roots. The link below says she will cover WX at 6, 8, 10 and 11. Not sure what happens to Evelyn Taft or if she will go to 4p, 5p and 9pm.

https://www.adweek.com/tvspy/dani-ruberti-joins-kcbs-kcal-in-los-angeles-as-weather-anchor/251127/#:~:text=Dani Ruberti has joined Los,my heart for journalism started.

Yeah, Dani Ruberti's first day on air at KCBS/KCAL was last Tuesday.  And, Evelyn Taft now does the weather at 4pm, 5pm and 9pm weekdays indeed. 

Ruberti joins Darren Haynes (KCBS/KCAL sports anchor) and Chauncy Glover (KCBS/KCAL weeknight co-anchor) as big hires for the duopoly in recent weeks. 

The duopoly has been more aggressive over the past year or so to strengthen itself in the Los Angeles market.

Edited by CraigViewer

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Today, January 5 marks one year since the KCBS/KCAL rebrand and the beginning of the then new KCAL News Mornings. It’s not perfect but things have continued to improve with the newscast since then and let’s see what happens in the future.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...