KCBS 2/KCAL 9 - CBS Los Angeles News Thread

Roadrunner

5 hours ago, iron_lion said:

Oh CBS what a mess. I understand that the aim is for straightforward easily identifiable branding, but this is too wordy. " KCAL News at 11AM on CBS Los Angeles". When you have a name as a brand its more easily transferable. Example: Atlanta News First, it works on both WANF and WPCH. Then again this was tried already with "News Central". Maybe CBS should abandon standardized O&O branding and let individual stations do their own thing.

The L3's look terrible,  it screams streaming (which is probably the point). 

That's better. Local stations are really mix and match all over the place with anchor pairings, that it's confusing to tell what time you can see your preferred anchor.

What lame brain consultant is coming up with these stupid branding names?

8 hours ago, Geoffrey said:

I know I keep complaining that the new bug is too big, but look at this. Is it really necessary to scream LOS ANGELES on a bug like that?

Imagine if they just used the KCAL NEWS square. Would be a nicer minimalist look. Right now it's just a waste of screen real estate. At least incorporate the time and temperature if it's not going to be elsewhere on the screen.

image.thumb.png.c57c7111cd537050da2c00228b52741d.png

I agree! I love these graphics, but that is literally the only thing I would change is to just use the KCAL square for the bug.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bogusabc7breakingnews said:

That part! They might as well call the 10pm news The Mike Rodgers Show.  He kept popping up with the most annoying updates; we don’t need to know every time a tree topples over in LA. At a minimum they should have a breaking news anchor. This guy Mike doesn’t appear to be a trained broadcaster nor educated as a journalist; his grammar was the worst. To someone’s point above, this is LA, not Podunck, Iowa. 

He also popped up twice on the 11 pm show.

He didn't have his microphone on one of the times and most of the story was lost. Why did he need to report an update on the dog that got thrown over a fence & got adopted? It wasn't breaking news. The decisions being made to execute these broadcasts are mind boggling.

Just before one break, Pat Harvey had a sports preview. I thought sports was coming up after the commercial break. But it didn't. At the end of the next segment, Jim Hill does the same preview all over again. WTF? This isn't the kind of crap you see in market #2. This is amatuer time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CalItalian2 said:

KTLA recently moved onto a new set. No issues. This is Los Angeles not Rapid City. You get it right on day 1.

CBS 2 is not CBS Los Angeles. Both of the stations are. They're also CBSLA.com. CBS 2 airs KCAL News. It's all idiotic mumbo jumbo branding.

If you wanted to use an example of a semi-sucessful newscast that wasn't on the primary channel, you should have used ABC 7 Eyewitness News on KDOC 56. That actually got some decent numbers unlike the Fox 11 newscast on KCOP.  It would still be around today if the station handn't been sold to a religious broadcaster last summer.

Well 2 things:

1. KTLA didn't change graphics

2. They did have issues with navigating that weather wall without chroma. It looked uncomfortable and they had to do some tweaking.

Overall, as others have said, hiccups are expected when new things are introduced. This isn't the first new set/graphics/branding we've been through... 

Edited by Bsean
  • Like 7

56 minutes ago, CalItalian2 said:

It won't last that long. DOA. 

The public sees what a mess it is already. From CBS Los Angeles Facebook tonight.

They're going to destroy KCAL 9 as well.

Screenshot_20230105_225055.jpg

Dude no offense, but one rando on Facebook isn’t evidence that the whole thing is a disaster. It’s day 1.

Look, they had a rough start this morning, but these things don’t always start smoothly (look at KOTV a few months back.) The assignment desk isn’t perfect, but as I said elsewhere, at least they’re peeling back the curtain on news gathering and trying something no other station is doing. That’s how you stand out. Keep in mind that the alternative was a morning newscast that got 0.0 in the ratings and a network that was airing morning infomercials instead of live programming. I’m happy to point out some flaws, but this is an improvement by every stretch of the imagination, and I think we’re overreacting if we say otherwise.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Bsean said:

Well 2 things:

1. KTLA didn't change graphics

2. They did have issues with navigating that weather wall without chroma. It looked uncomfortable and they had to do some tweaking.

Overall, as others have said, hiccups are expected when new things are introduced. This isn't the first new set/graphics/branding we've been through... 

These aren't hiccups. They are massive issues showing they are not prepared or don't have a major market quality professional staff.

There is no branding sense here. It's a bunch of brands lumped together that only confuse.

They had a preview of KCAL News Mornings on 11 pm but made no mention of what channel it is on. I'm sorry but the future may be to eliminate channel mentions but we are NOWHERE near that day. No other station in the market is doing it.  Same as this morning on the simulcast, a preview of CBS Mornings coming next. But no mention of where to view it. Just prior, they had a preview of KCAL News Mornings. But again no mention where it would be on when the simulcast split at 7 am.

Why is the KCAL News bug so small next to the huge CBS Los Angeles? 

Why does the Facebook page say KCAL News, CBS Los Angeles, CBSLA.com and CBSNews.com? Mass confusion.

Why is the chopper called SKYCAL? The branding is KCAL NEWS. It doesn't reflect it. It should say SKYKCAL to be consistent even though that is just as idiotic as SKYCAL.

A number of people on this board do not comment as an average viewer. Read the Facebook comments which get it more than many of you do and start understanding your viewer.

1 minute ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

Dude no offense, but one rando on Facebook isn’t evidence that the whole thing is a disaster. It’s day 1.

Look, they had a rough start this morning, but these things don’t always start smoothly (look at KOTV a few months back.) The assignment desk isn’t perfect, but as I said elsewhere, at least they’re peeling back the curtain on news gathering and trying something no other station is doing. That’s how you stand out. Keep in mind that the alternative was a morning newscast that got 0.0 in the ratings and a network that was airing morning infomercials instead of live programming. I’m happy to point out some flaws, but this is an improvement by every stretch of the imagination, and I think we’re overreacting if we say otherwise.

I commented on NewsNation from Day 1. I knew it was a disaster ON DAY ONE. I got a lot of flack for it but it wasn't difficult to see what a mess it was. I was 100% correct. This is just as bad, probably worse. I am sorry you can't see it yet.

4 minutes ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

This is Los Angeles. Not some idiotic market in the midwest. There is a certain level of expected professionalism. It starts on day 1 not weeks later.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SFTV said:

When I saw the morning graphics, I thought they’re still working out the kinks.

Looking at this picture, it’s still the same. When KPIX debuted the look. They sticked with the color schemes….The Breaking News is in Red as so as the CBS Los Angeles bug should be red too.

SKYCAL? You would think SkyEYE 😂

KCBS/KCAL hasn't always been the best with poor graphics and their camera angles are sometimes questionable. 

58 minutes ago, CalItalian2 said:

These aren't hiccups. They are massive issues showing they are not prepared or don't have a major market quality professional staff.

There is no branding sense here. It's a bunch of brands lumped together that only confuse.

They had a preview of KCAL News Mornings on 11 pm but made no mention of what channel it is on. I'm sorry but the future may be to eliminate channel mentions but we are NOWHERE near that day. No other station in the market is doing it.  Same as this morning on the simulcast, a preview of CBS Mornings coming next. But no mention of where to view it. Just prior, they had a preview of KCAL News Mornings. But again no mention where it would be on when the simulcast split at 7 am.

Why is the KCAL News bug so small next to the huge CBS Los Angeles? 

Why does the Facebook page say KCAL News, CBS Los Angeles, CBSLA.com and CBSNews.com? Mass confusion.

Why is the chopper called SKYCAL? The branding is KCAL NEWS. It doesn't reflect it. It should say SKYKCAL to be consistent even though that is just as idiotic as SKYCAL.

A number of people on this board do not comment as an average viewer. Read the Facebook comments which get it more than many of you do and start understanding your viewer.

I commented on NewsNation from Day 1. I knew it was a disaster ON DAY ONE. I got a lot of flack for it but it wasn't difficult to see what a mess it was. I was 100% correct. This is just as bad, probably worse. I am sorry you can't see it yet.

This is Los Angeles. Not some idiotic market in the midwest. There is a certain level of expected professionalism. It starts on day 1 not weeks later.

I understand that you live in the market, so I won’t pretend I understand LA more than you or anyone else here. That said, they’ve already hit rock bottom in terms of ratings, and they needed to try something different. As far as brand sense goes, there’s more brand sense w/ “KCAL News” than there was when they were using two names for the same news operation. I think there’s room for criticizing how they went about it (I pointed out the lack of promotion), but most of the things you mentioned (like the name of the damn helicopter) are things most people don’t care about. And if you’re criticizing them for not telling people where to watch *CBS* Mornings... I can’t help you there.

I’m happy to criticize when warranted, and this thing may end up not working out, but saying it’s DOA after one day is a bit much IMO.

Edited by nycnewsjunkie
Grammar
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, CalItalian2 said:

Right or wrong on your assessment of NewsNation (you were defintely the former), you were acting like a self-righteous douche canoe then, too.

1 hour ago, CalItalian2 said:

Not some idiotic market in the midwest.

That high horse might be depriving you of some oxygen. Might want to get off.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, 24994J said:

Right or wrong on your assessment of NewsNation (you were defintely the former), you were acting like a self-righteous douche canoe then, too.

That high horse might be depriving you of some oxygen. Might want to get off.

Hey moron, YOU were wrong. I was right. That's reality. I really could care less what you think.

• Haha 1
  • Concerned 1

32 minutes ago, Daybreak said:

So are they using KCAL for all newscasts and not KCBS? I just seen a clip on YouTube of Pat Harvey on KCAL at 6. https://youtu.be/oyyoAGYJC2k

If you listen carefully, even Pat is confused. She Says welcome to KCAL 9 News at 6 on CBS Los Angeles. The 5pm anchor says KCAL News at 5 on CBS Los Angeles and KCAL News at 6 on CBS Los Angeles. The open says KCAL News Los Angeles. So right there you already have 3 different names.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

I understand that you live in the market, so I won’t pretend I understand LA more than you or anyone else here. That said, they’ve already hit rock bottom in terms of ratings, and they needed to try something different. As far as brand sense goes, there’s more brand sense w/ “KCAL News” than there was when they were using two names for the same news operation. I think there’s room for criticizing how they went about it (I pointed out the lack of promotion), but most of the things you mentioned (like the name of the damn helicopter) are things most people don’t care about. And if you’re criticizing them for not telling people where to watch *CBS* Mornings... I can’t help you there.

I’m happy to criticize when warranted, and this thing may end up not working out, but saying it’s DOA after one day is a bit much IMO.

They switched their Facebook from CBS Los Angeles to KCAL News this morning. Why wasn't this done on day one? But tell me this FB post THIS morning STILL isn't a confusing mess? 

You are contradicting yourself about the branding & my observations and can't even see it. Priceless!

I can't help YOU if you don't understand how idiotic it is to tell people here is what coming up over the next 4 hours on KCAL News Mornings and then promo what is coming up on CBS Mornings when the brand is identified as the same & is being broadcast, simulcast on both stations in the 6 am hour - but not telling viewers where to watch it. They have the ability to split the broadcast, previews. They aren't airing the same spots, promos during the breaks - they are completely different on 2 & 9.

For the record, they didn't air a preview of CBS Mornings today at all as they did yesterday.

Screenshot_20230106_075609.jpg

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, CalItalian2 said:

Hey moron, YOU were wrong. I was right. That's reality. I really could care less what you think.

23 minutes ago, CalItalian2 said:

They switched their Facebook from CBS Los Angeles to KCAL News this morning. Why wasn't this done on day one? But tell me this FB post THIS morning STILL isn't a confusing mess? 

You are contradicting yourself about the branding & my observations and can't even see it. Priceless!

I can't help YOU if you don't understand how idiotic it is to tell people here is what coming up over the next 4 hours on KCAL News Mornings and then promo what is coming up on CBS Mornings when the brand is identified as the same & is being broadcast, simulcast on both stations in the 6 am hour - but not telling viewers where to watch it. They have the ability to split the broadcast, previews. They aren't airing the same spots, promos during the breaks - they are completely different on 2 & 9.

For the record, they didn't air a preview of CBS Mornings today at all as they did yesterday.

Screenshot_20230106_075609.jpg

4669FBC2-878D-4CCF-A21C-8A09FDCD9C44.gif

16 minutes ago, SFTV said:

I’m guessing the KCBS set is now obsolete. I was thinking Sports Central would’ve salvaged it.

Did they ever really need two sets? I get the feeling they only had them to emphasize two different brands for the same news operation. Now that they’re unifying everything together, it seems logical to unify studio presentation as well. Besides, the last few months showed that the two stations were able to operate out of one studio just fine.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Guys, let's relax. We're allowed to have different opinions on local news branding without getting heated. Please.

Anyway, new Sky Cal logo: (edit: just noticed that they're trying to emphasize the K, C, A and L letters with that odd shading)

image.thumb.png.e5afbd2cf45422b680449d5fc924b946.png

Why does the Coming Up banner have to be so tall?

image.thumb.png.b0c428b3b53e83136bbc156582b74855.png

Edited by Geoffrey
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Geoffrey said:

Why does the Coming Up banner have to be so tall?

image.thumb.png.b0c428b3b53e83136bbc156582b74855.png

It was adjusted from the demo we saw a few months ago. The idea is that it is the maximum height, extending from the top of where the LIVE (or whatever they put there) bug would be, on top of the bug, to the bottom of the main line of the package's ticker, which would be gone, at this point. I can't understand why they're still using the old CBSN ticker. THAT is something that shouldn't have last beyond day 1.

image.thumb.png.0a660a89d4965588d0457eee5a174906.png

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, 24994J said:

The idea is that it is the maximum height, extending from the top of where the LIVE (or whatever they put there) bug would be, on top of the bug, to the bottom of the main line of the package's ticker, which would be gone, at this point. I can't understand why they're still using the old CBSN ticker. THAT is something that shouldn't have last beyond day 1.

But I think they would rarely have anything in that spot above the bug. Most of the time, a "Coming Up" doesn't show live video. Just seems like another weird design choice that makes this package feel rushed and sloppy in many areas.

• Like 1

The 10am hour of KCAL News Mornings is branded "10@10". This branding didn't fully debut yesterday due to the severe weather coverage, but it did today.

It's a news-focused hour, with the top 10 stories of the morning being counted up throughout.

Edited by Georgie56

6 hours ago, Daybreak said:

So are they using KCAL for all newscasts and not KCBS? I just seen a clip on YouTube of Pat Harvey on KCAL at 6. https://youtu.be/oyyoAGYJC2k

Yes. All newscasts (regardless of what channel they air on) are labeled KCAL News. 

When the newscast airs on channel 2, CBS Los Angeles is ‘added’ to the title. 

It’s my understanding that ‘KCAL News’ is synonymous with breaking news coverage in the region, the decision was made to go with the strongest and recognizable brand/moniker, if you will.

That’s what I read from a couple of articles I found online.

Edited by jase
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, CalItalian2 said:

King Tides do not occur until January 21 & 22, 2023 in California. Can someone please explain why KCAL News is posting this as a story? Google search it. Heal the Bay, for one. Screenshot_20230106_121607.thumb.jpg.8b63cc5981353ed46a5d3318a96858f3.jpg

Could just be a simple mistake someone made (i.e. saying 'king' tides instead of 'high' tides).  No one's perfect...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, detroiter313 said:

Now that the new format on KCAL is official, there are two questions I've yet to ask: Will KCAL still be able to have its long-running primetime news block (8-11pm)? And if so, will KCAL produce the 5, 6 and 11pm news on KCBS?

Yes, that's what they're doing, titled "KCAL News on CBS Los Angeles." The primetime news on KCAL remains:

image.thumb.png.7885a877b89a2b7ea855ee34b9c682c2.png

KCAL and KCBS have always been one news operation since 2003, but with separate on-air brands (visual identities were basically the same). So nothing has changed with who "produces" the news, but now it's just all unified under the KCAL News brand. 

• Like 5