KCBS 2/KCAL 9 - CBS Los Angeles News Thread

Roadrunner

3 hours ago, TheNewsTV said:

As it seems to me, the division of schedules looked like this:
4-4:30 am: Kalyna Astrinos.
4:30-6:00 am: Chris Holmstrom and Marci Gonzalez.
6-7 am: Rudabeh Shahbazi and Marci Gonzalez.
7-10 am: Rudabeh Shahbazi and Jamie Yuccas.
10-11 am: Amy Johnson.
11-11:30 am: Chris Holmstrom.

why not just

Team A: 4:30-7 am

Team B: 7-9 am

Team B: 9-11:30 am

Part of scheduling is a predictable team line up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Geoffrey said:

I know I keep complaining that the new bug is too big, but look at this. Is it really necessary to scream LOS ANGELES on a bug like that?

Imagine if they just used the KCAL NEWS square. Would be a nicer minimalist look. Right now it's just a waste of screen real estate. At least incorporate the time and temperature if it's not going to be elsewhere on the screen.

Ugh, I saw this too and was afraid this might be the case. Not sure why they didn't just put "Afternoon Edition" or "Evening Edition" in there, but guessing it's a hard-coded element that can't be easily changed on the fly. It's a total waste and looks terrible.

This graphics package is highly templatized, and every other O&O will have the "CBS News [City]" lockup in that blue rectangle, a la KPIX. But since the CBS LA duo wanted to do their own thing and adopt the "KCAL News Los Angeles" brand, they had to put something in that spot. 

Creative director: "...so that blue box can't go away? Should we just stick 'LOS ANGELES' there?"

Designer: "Yeah, sure, that'll work. Done."

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, caliwxdude said:

Ugh, I saw this too and was afraid this might be the case. Not sure why they didn't just put "Afternoon Edition" or "Evening Edition" in there, but guessing it's a hard-coded element that can't be easily changed on the fly. It's a total waste and looks terrible.

This graphics package is highly templatized, and every other O&O will have the "CBS News [City]" lockup in that blue rectangle, a la KPIX. But since the CBS LA duo wanted to do their own thing and adopt the "KCAL News Los Angeles" brand, they had to put something in that spot. 

Creative director: "...so that blue box can't go away? Should we just stick 'LOS ANGELES' there?"

Designer: "Yeah, sure, that'll work. Done."

*Except KCNC who is adopting CBS News Colorado.

Re Vice President of Creative Services: No. That's definitely not what happened. I can't go into more detail, but that wouldn't be the decision.

5 hours ago, TheNewsTV said:

As it seems to me, the division of schedules looked like this:
4-4:30 am: Kalyna Astrinos.
4:30-6:00 am: Chris Holmstrom and Marci Gonzalez.
6-7 am: Rudabeh Shahbazi and Marci Gonzalez.
7-10 am: Rudabeh Shahbazi and Jamie Yuccas.
10-11 am: Amy Johnson.
11-11:30 am: Chris Holmstrom.

2 hours ago, iron_lion said:

why not just

Team A: 4:30-7 am

Team B: 7-9 am

Team B: 9-11:30 am

Part of scheduling is a predictable team line up.

Who anchored the noon?

More equitable would be:

A: 4am-7am

B: 7am-10am

C: 10am-11am, 11am-11:30am, 12Noon-1pm

• Like 2

Oh CBS what a mess. I understand that the aim is for straightforward easily identifiable branding, but this is too wordy. " KCAL News at 11AM on CBS Los Angeles". When you have a name as a brand its more easily transferable. Example: Atlanta News First, it works on both WANF and WPCH. Then again this was tried already with "News Central". Maybe CBS should abandon standardized O&O branding and let individual stations do their own thing.

The L3's look terrible,  it screams streaming (which is probably the point). 

5 minutes ago, TVNewsLover said:

Who anchored the noon?

More equitable would be:

A: 4am-7am

B: 7am-10am

😄 10am-11am, 11am-11:30am, 12Noon-1pm

That's better. Local stations are really mix and match all over the place with anchor pairings, that it's confusing to tell what time you can see your preferred anchor.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, KentBrockman said:

The meltdown of this forum over this whole thing is just absolutely sad.

Should've just been CBS News Los Angeles and CBS News Los Angeles on KCAL. But this, this is a clusterf*ck.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Geoffrey said:

image.thumb.png.505349174845bfcfc4b51a2574ba2e4d.png

When I saw the morning graphics, I thought they’re still working out the kinks.

Looking at this picture, it’s still the same. When KPIX debuted the look. They sticked with the color schemes….The Breaking News is in Red as so as the CBS Los Angeles bug should be red too.

SKYCAL? You would think SkyEYE 😂

I mean, the News Organization brand is KCAL News. As I read in the article of the website I guess folks don't like saying, KCAL is a popular brand in the California region, according to CBS brand researchers studying viewership for the rebrand. 

I'm pretty sure the reason why CBS Los Angeles is in the bug is for when KCAL NEWS airs on the channel, formally known as CBS2 (KCBS). 

Personally, as I preached in the CBS O&O graphics topic, all stations should be streamlined with the CBS News brand, but it may not be the case for every station. Some may stick with the channel numbers, others may stick with the call letters. Definitely, that's the case with KCAL and their news operations in California.

Edited by NewEgg00
  • Like 1

The placement of the word "news" affects how smoothly the brand rolls off the tounge.

image.png.b5e1795224171fed870ddf8e7d7c14b9.png

Example, KPIX. "CBS Bay Area" rather than "CBS News Bay Area" allows the branding's use outside of newscasts, without having to cluster in the call letters. "CBS BAY Area News at 5", "CBS Bay Area News at 11". If we are de emphasizing channel numbers, I'm sure call letters don't really matter either on an o&o  station.

"CBS News Bay Area Evening Edition: 6PM" is a paragraph.

*KCAL is a different story as CBS is the secondary brand*

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, iron_lion said:

The news part is also clunking it up across all local brands. Example, KPIX. By calling it "CBS Bay Area" it allows you to use the branding outside of news without having to cluster in the call letters. "CBS BAY Area News at 5", "CBS Bay Area News at 11". Again "CBS News Bay Area Evening Edition: 6PM, does not roll off the tounge at all. 

*KCAL is a different story as CBS is the secondary brand*

I agree. Outside of news, there's no need for CBS News branding nor call letters.

But the thing is that the reason why they may use the name of newscasts like you exemplified is for TV guide listings only. There's no way people are actually going to say long names like that. 

Edited by NewEgg00
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, NewEgg00 said:

I agree. Outside of news, there's no need for CBS News branding nor call letters.

But the thing is that the reason why they may use the name of newscasts like you exemplified is for TV guide listings. There's no way people are actually going to say long names like that. 

At the end of the day, I have a feeling layman viewers are going to be saying "I saw it on Channel 2 News last night" whether they watch the news on TV or online. 

• Like 4

Outside of news broadcasts what does the logos look like? KCAL still the circle with the 9 or is it just KCAL in a square with no news inside the box? CBS2 still CBS2  or just cbs Los Angeles?

11 minutes ago, Drew said:

Outside of news broadcasts what does the logos look like? KCAL still the circle with the 9 or is it just KCAL in a square with no news inside the box? CBS2 still CBS2  or just cbs Los Angeles?

KCAL:

SmartSelect_20230105-225827_Opera.jpg.680b616908914d5a2049e144c01aabde.jpg

CBS Los Angeles:

CBSLA23_svg.thumb.png.db6540d62addbed22a5ed0a7f0554315.png

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SFTV said:

When I saw the morning graphics, I thought they’re still working out the kinks.

Looking at this picture, it’s still the same. When KPIX debuted the look. They sticked with the color schemes….The Breaking News is in Red as so as the CBS Los Angeles bug should be red too.

SKYCAL? You would think SkyEYE 😂

SkyCAL isn't a terrible name. It's different. 2/9 and KTLA had "Sky XX." Plus "Chopper XX" or "Air XX" is a little stale. Lest we forget 7 SkyForce down in Miami?!

There's mixed emotions as it relates to the new brand. I like it personally, as someone who was raised in SoCal. KCAL was definitely the stronger brand. Anyone remember when KTTV did KCOPs 11pm news with Carlos Amezcua and Christine Devine? The FOX management knew the FOX11 brand was stronger compared to KCOPs historically dead branding. KCBS/KCAL is doing something similar. Although the KCAL to KCOP comparison is apples to oranges as KCAL has historically had the stronger brand recognition.

Edited by FiveNews
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, FiveNews said:

SkyCAL isn't a terrible name. It's different. 2/9 and KTLA had "Sky XX." Plus "Chopper XX" or "Air XX" is a little stale. Lest we forget 7 SkyForce down in Miami?!

There's mixed emotions as it relates to the new brand. I like it personally, as someone who was raised in SoCal. KCAL was definitely the stronger brand. Anyone remember when KTTV did KCOPs 11pm news with Carlos Amezcua and Christine Devine? The FOX management knew the FOX11 brand was stronger compared to KCOPs historically dead branding. KCBS/KCAL is doing something similar. Although the KCAL to KCOP comparison is apples to oranges as KCAL has historically had the stronger brand recognition.

It failed miserably. You're not giving any good examples.

I also am a Los Angeles native. SKYCAL is just stupid.

Read the comments on Facebook. It's all confusion about why KCAL is on CBS 2. Their Facebook still identifies as CBS Los Angeles. 

There is no branding when you are confusing viewers this much. Idiotic.

2 hours ago, KentBrockman said:

The meltdown of this forum over this whole thing is just absolutely sad.

There is no meltdown. It's a discussion. A discussion of idiots who are making moronic descisions and are employed by Paramount Global, a public company.

5 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

KCAL has been having issues with the time and temp/ticker all day today. They’ve been using the outgoing CBSN ticker most of the day. I trust they’ll sort it out.

They didn't have it all all the first three hours.

5 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

It's ironic that in the writeup linked earlier, CBS claims that they're being minimalist and not wasting screen real estate, yet the bug is perhaps one of the largest bugs in the industry.

Yet the KCAL News is so small I can hardly see it on my 77" tv in my bedroom.

• Sad 1

Look, it's just the first day. Not everything goes as planned. Yes, it will take some take some getting used to but after awhile things will settle. No matter how many times you rehearse, there will always be hiccups.

1) KCAL is still the same without the "9" and is getting a lot more attention as the main brand.

2) CBS 2 is now CBS Los Angeles.

3) CBS News Los Angeles is their streaming service. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, abric said:

Look, it's just the first day. Not everything goes as planned. Yes, it will take some take some getting used to but after awhile things will settle. No matter how many times you rehearse, there will always be hiccups.

1) KCAL is still the same without the "9" and is getting a lot more attention as the main brand.

2) CBS 2 is now CBS Los Angeles.

3) CBS News Los Angeles is their streaming service. 

KTLA recently moved onto a new set. No issues. This is Los Angeles not Rapid City. You get it right on day 1.

CBS 2 is not CBS Los Angeles. Both of the stations are. They're also CBSLA.com. CBS 2 airs KCAL News. It's all idiotic mumbo jumbo branding.

53 minutes ago, FiveNews said:

If you wanted to use an example of a semi-sucessful newscast that wasn't on the primary channel, you should have used ABC 7 Eyewitness News on KDOC 56. That actually got some decent numbers unlike the Fox 11 newscast on KCOP.  It would still be around today if the station handn't been sold to a religious broadcaster last summer.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I still think the programming strategy is smart. But there's no way of getting around it: that branding is clunky. It is most certainly going to confuse viewers, and I wouldn't be surprised if CBS tinkered with it again within the next two years.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, C Block said:

I still think the programming strategy is smart. But there's no way of getting around it: that branding is clunky. It is most certainly going to confuse viewers, and I wouldn't be surprised if CBS tinkered with it again within the next two years.

It won't last that long. DOA. 

The public sees what a mess it is already. From CBS Los Angeles Facebook tonight.

They're going to destroy KCAL 9 as well.

Screenshot_20230105_225055.jpg

Edited by CalItalian2
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, CalItalian2 said:

From CBS Los Angeles Facebook 

They're going to destroy KCAL 9 as well.

Screenshot_20230105_225055.jpg

That part! They might as well call the 10pm news The Mike Rodgers Show.  He kept popping up with the most annoying updates; we don’t need to know every time a tree topples over in LA. At a minimum they should have a breaking news anchor. This guy Mike doesn’t appear to be a trained broadcaster nor educated as a journalist; his grammar was the worst. To someone’s point above, this is LA, not Podunck, Iowa. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1