KCBS 2/KCAL 9 - CBS Los Angeles News Thread

Roadrunner

If they really are launching on KCAL tomorrow, you’d think they’d do a better job promoting it. I haven’t seen anything on their website that promotes a Dec. 5 launch (other than program guides), and I assume they aren’t airing promos on KCBS/KCAL. AFAIK, nothing promoting a specific launch date on social media or YouTube either.

Maybe it’s me, but I don’t know if you have any hope of getting viewers for this thing if you aren’t even telling people when/where to watch it. Unless, of course, they aren’t launching tomorrow.

Edited by nycnewsjunkie
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

If they really are launching on KCAL tomorrow, you’d think they’d do a better job promoting it. I haven’t seen anything on their website that promotes a Dec. 5 launch (other than program guides), and I assume they aren’t airing promos on KCBS/KCAL. AFAIK, nothing promoting a specific launch date on social media or YouTube either.

Yep. Quite surprising. I don’t think they are going to launch this thing on Monday, unless they make a soft launch, maybe debuting the new KCAL set and going on with the new hirings, which is the most likely thing. No new graphics or “CBS News Los Angeles” until after the holidays or when CBS News Detroit launches (or maybe yes), which could be the moment to promote the new product and finally get KCAL to produce the other hours. Unless, as you say, it is postponed at the last minute and/or withholding it for the New Year.

• Like 2

Scott over at FTV reports that Paul Deanno from WMAQ will be joining the KCAL Mornings team in early February. Late morning weather.  Not sure if this means the launch is pushed until then. Good get for the duop. When everything is launched, it looks like there will no longer be anymore "KCAL 9 News." The station will be known as "KCAL News."

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2022/12/7/resurfacing-in-la

7 minutes ago, JTT said:

I believe Kcal starts their morning news on Dec 12.  I saw the listing on zap2it.

And previous listings suggested December 5th. As the holidays approach, I think we can safely assume that the program will not fully debut until January, unless credible info suggests otherwise.

A suggestion for all users- since the launch date as moved several times, and it's all led to needless speculation, I'd recommend that we only post dates that are officially announced by the station, though probably not from their online guide. Press releases and anchor postings, ONLY, please.

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, bogusabc7breakingnews said:

Just saw a promo on KCBS, then new KCAL Morning News debuts this Thursday, 1/5. TV listings seem to confirm this with the broadcast starting at 4am and CBS Mornings airing live at 4am on KCAL. 

To clarify...

KCAL

4am-11am--KCAL Mornings

KCBS

4am-6am--CBS Mornings

6am--KCAL Mornings (simulcast)

7am-9am--CBS Mornings

Looking forward to the launch. Should keep KTLA on their toes during the 7a-11a block. GDLA is absolutely dreadful to watch (watching now due to Rose Parade being on KTLA today). Mornings in LA TV news should be a little more interesting now that there are more options.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bostonmediaguy said:

To clarify...

KCAL

4am-11am--KCAL Mornings

KCBS

4am-6am--CBS Mornings

6am--KCAL Mornings (simulcast)

7am-9am--CBS Mornings

It's called KCAL NEWS MORNINGS

Meet Rudabeh Shahbazi, the new co-anchor for KCAL News Mornings - CBS Los Angeles (cbsnews.com) (VIDEO - PREVIEW OF NEW SET)

Edited by CalItalian2
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, bogusabc7breakingnews said:

EF6715E7-9F30-4532-A65B-C3FB0C8F6C2F.jpeg

Their video I posted says it's called "KCAL News Mornings" but a new post on Facebook calls it "Mornings with KCAL News". Their promotions are already getting confusing. 

https://www.facebook.com/100064518348799/posts/540055728155034/?mibextid=Nif5oz

Edited by CalItalian2

1 minute ago, TheNewsTV said:

How will the division of schedules be for each one?

It's been a minute since we heard, but off of memory, Kalyna at 4, before shifting to traffic, Chris and Marci from 4:30 to 7, as they've been doing, and Rudabeh and Jamie have been confirmed to be from 7-10. Unclear what the roles are for the last hour.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1