KCBS 2/KCAL 9 - CBS Los Angeles News Thread

Roadrunner

On 9/2/2022 at 11:33 AM, SFTV said:

I’m surprised they didn’t have a custom engraved KCAL logo for the desk and use a plain metal sheet instead to cover the CBS2 logo or at least upgrade the anchor desk to a monitor screen like WCBS and KPIX has. 

Then again KCBS was the first to debut this look so everything is still original.

For KCAL's planned morning-news block they might just do something like that.

• Like 2

I hope they do a better job with the KCAL set than they did with the KCBS one.  Newscasts on the KCBS set are distracting. The video wall behind the anchors reflects the monitors in front of them; when an anchor or reporter is doing a standup next to a monitor, you can see the teleprompter in the reflection; and you can always see the weather anchor messing around on the computer depending on the shot. It’s market 2, not a college newscast. It’s annoying and I hate watching cbsla from the KCBS set. 

• Like 2

On 9/10/2022 at 3:53 PM, CircleSeven said:

The program guide, it does not list the KCAL 9 morning show premiering on Monday.

On the press release, it did say "fall", but it never stated a specific date. 

"Fall" could even be as late as the first of December.    It might be a very soft opening,    after the November book is done, though I guess that means little or nothing now.

No doubt it won't happen until KCAL's new set is ready, and that might be a while away.  KCBS's current set took three months to build in 2016.

Edited by Nick
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CircleSeven said:

B&C has stated that CBS News correspondent Jamie Yuccas will anchor the 7-10am portion of the new KCAL AM show.

Still no word on a launch date.

Definitely speaks volumes as to how seriously CBS is taking this revamp; Yuccas is a bit of a rising star at CBS News and she'll be continuing as a west coast correspondent as well

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/12/2022 at 11:16 AM, TVNewsLover said:

Well this is stupid. While it may benefit KCAL, it’ll probably hurt KCBS. Who wants to watch 2 hours of national news and features at 4am and then almost an exact repeat at 7am? Would it not make more sense to simulcast the 4-7am local newscast on 2&9 instead?

In the three months after this significant announcement,  there has been not a word since about any specifics or even a launch date.  All the releases refer to the "planned"  news block "expected" to start "in the fall."    The duopoly's Web site or social media pages offer no indication that such a thing is imminent.    The only hire is Jamie Yuccas, who is not really a hire;  she's already been working in the building for a long time and is evidently going to devote a few extra hours to KCAL while maintaining all her other CBS-platform duties.

I know nothing about this, but I wouldn't expect anything for quite a while.

Edited by Nick

On 9/15/2022 at 11:31 AM, kshow said:

KCBS/KCAL doesn't have 3 choppers. If I'm not mistaken, they have Sky2 and Sky9. The third chopper is KTTVs SkyFOX. They have an agreement to share the video/live feed. SkyFOX flies in the morning for GDLA and the 2/9 choppers fly PM and share video with KTTV.

Edited by FiveNews
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So the press release states that Rudabeh will be paired with Jamie on the 7-10am portion. 

Kalyna will solo anchor the 4am half-hour, as well as traffic anchor throughout the show.

And assuming they're keeping Marci & Chris on the 4:30-7 portion, who's going to anchor the 10am hour? 

Edited by CircleSeven

On 11/1/2022 at 8:05 PM, CircleSeven said:

So the press release states that Rudabeh will be paired with Jamie on the 7-10am portion. 

Kalyna will solo anchor the 4am half-hour, as well as traffic anchor throughout the show.

And assuming they're keeping Marci & Chris on the 4:30-7 portion, who's going to anchor the 10am hour? 

I guess Mike Rogers' "The Desk" assignment-editor segments will be a feature.  I would think (and hope)  that Amy Johnson will be a part of the block.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Daybreak said:

Speaking of the morning show…here’s the two new additions added.

Thanks for the reminder, but that was covered earlier in this thread, 4 weeks ago.

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 1

I live in SoCal. My Hulu Live TV guide doesn't have any update for KCAL 9 tomorrow morning, but does show KCBS as airing CBS Mornings from 4-6am and the 6am hour of whatever the new show will be called. The guide still shows it as CBS 2 News at 6am.