Motion Graphics agencies that did news graphics in the late 90s?

JosephH1998

As I know most of the motion graphics agencies that did news graphics for stations (as well as station graphics) such as Novocom (WXYZ (before they hired Giant Octopus), WTVJ, WESH, KFMB, WRC, WPXI, WEWS, etc...), Giant Octopus (WLBT, WCNC, WBBH, WBNS, KPRC, WFLA, WWMT (?)), TVbD (WHAS, KRON, BayTV, KARE, WIVT (and the Ackerley stations WIXT, WUTR), WSBT, WTHR, KUSA, KSNW, KTUL, WBAY, WHP, WXIX, KPTM, CFMT, KSAT, ONN, WMAR, WSAZ etc..), Art Effects LLC (WSB, WAGA) and Quantel Hal (WPTV, WBIR etc...).

I'm not sure motion graphics design agency did the WXIA news graphics in the late 90s? (pre-1999), the graphics were also being used for sister station WTLV Jacksonville (before they went under the "First Coast News" banner in 2000) as it was also owned by Gannett, since I couldn't point it out.

Edited by JosephH1998
additional information

• 1 month later...

Some that come to mind:

VDO - They did the original 2000 WFLA package that was later adapted to the Media General stations before the Giant Octopus one they originated for HD.  They also did the 1999 "News Center" package for WSYX and WTTE.

Later they did some of the former Emmis stations including the 2003 packages for WVUE and WALA.

EQ Vance - they did the updated WWL package, and later in the 2000s, they did the WEWS HD package that was also used on WVUE pre-Raycom.

I'm curious who did the "Balls and Walls" package, as well as the company that did the 1995 WOIO/WUAB "Cleveland Television News" package, among others  (including WTHR, WXIX, and even WKRC?)

Also, whoever did the 1997 WJW package (the one with the clocks, keyboard shots in the background and Non-Stop's "Power News".)

On 5/7/2021 at 8:13 AM, extvtog said:

TVBD - Tv By Design did the motion graphics for WXIA at that time to my knowledge.

Gannett Production Services did the graphics for WXIA, WTLV, WGRZ, WKYC, WMAZ, WUSA, KUSA (Dateline Colorado) and other selected Gannett O&Os (meaning The Gannett Company had its own in-house agency in the late 90s). jcbD actually did the mid-90s graphics for WXIA and also did graphics for KOAT, KGW, KCCI, WDSU, KTVB, WYFF, WSAV, WTMJ, cable-only Bay News 9, CNN Headline News and several others..

Edited by JosephH1998
Having "T" capitalized in the.

On 5/7/2021 at 8:03 PM, tyrannical bastard said:

Well, looks like TVBD did the others I was looking for including WTHR, WOIO/WUAB, and WSBT.

Was the original WOIO "nineteen" package a work of TVBD or just John Christopher Burns?  And at what point did he leave TVBD?

He left in 1987, so it would have been work he probably did with Melanie Goux etc. while he was still there.

Since I haven't contributed yet, I'll also mention Electronic Graphics and Design (EGAD) of Dallas which did a lot of typical 90s looks:

On 5/7/2021 at 12:25 PM, tyrannical bastard said:

Some that come to mind:

VDO - They did the original 2000 WFLA package that was later adapted to the Media General stations before the Giant Octopus one they originated for HD.  They also did the 1999 "News Center" package for WSYX and WTTE.

Later they did some of the former Emmis stations including the 2003 packages for WVUE and WALA.

Who did the Media General graphics or as I called it the cloud look (Counterpoint era) graphics for WTVQ/WJHL/WSLS/WNCT/WCBD/KALB in the mid-late 90's? 

On 5/7/2021 at 12:25 PM, tyrannical bastard said:

I really enjoyed VDO. Dianne Streyer. 

5 hours ago, LexTVandRadio said:

Who did the Media General graphics or as I called it the cloud look (Counterpoint era) graphics for WTVQ/WJHL/WSLS/WNCT/WCBD/KALB in the mid-late 90's? 

I'd like to know as well ... The 1999 WLBT package looks very similar as well.

I'd almost say that it has a VDO vibe to it.

Edited by tyrannical bastard
typo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

I'd like to know as well ... The 1999 WLBT package looks very similar as well.

I'd almost sat that it has a VDO vibe to it.

I believe Giant Octopus did the WLBT graphics as mentioned above.

http://web.archive.org/web/19980623202133/http://www.giantoctopus.com/brdcstgllypg5.html

TVbD also did KUSA and KSNW, plus KTUL (which was owned by Allbritton at the time) also used a variation of their famous "Balls and Walls" package as did WTHR (pre-1997) (which was also used by WHP-TV in the mid 90s).

https://vimeo.com/10304814

4 hours ago, Ntropolis said:

Another to add... LoConte Goldman. Work includes the original Hearst package in 1995 and WTKR's 1994 "TV-3 News" look.

The LoConte Goldman Design also did the 1997 rebrand/graphics package for KTLA5 in collaboration with the then newly-found Linda Kane Design (LKD), she brought in the Boston-based design firm for the news opens and bumps whiles Linda did the design and production of other components. The 1997 KTLA5 Redesign (when they started branding themselves as "L.A.'s WB") garnered them 7 BDA Awards including 3 Silver Awards and one of which for the Total Package Design.

http://web.archive.org/web/20000818195119/http://www.lindakanedesign.com/lkdbio.htm

• Like 5

On 5/18/2021 at 9:11 PM, JosephH1998 said:

The LoConte Goldman Design also did the 1997 rebrand/graphics package for KTLA5 in collaboration with the then newly-found Linda Kane Design (LKD), she brought in the Boston-based design firm for the news opens and bumps whiles Linda did the design and production of other components. The 1997 KTLA5 Redesign (when they started branding themselves as "L.A.'s WB") garnered them 7 BDA Awards including 3 Silver Awards and one of which for the Total Package Design.

http://web.archive.org/web/20000818195119/http://www.lindakanedesign.com/lkdbio.htm

Linda Kane did great work. I think that KTLA look was inspirational for a lot of others. I liked the graphics she did for a lot of the other Tribune stations, which had a similar feel but were unique unto themselves.

I see she still has a website up along with a portfolio – some of it looks like it never made air. I didn't think she did any work for KTVU, but there are what look like some concepts on there.

http://www.lindakanedesign.com/broadcast

Also, while I'm here, does anyone know who did the KCNC 1997 design? I always thought that was a slick one.

Edited by C Block
  • Like 1

On 5/18/2021 at 7:54 PM, Ntropolis said:

Another to add... LoConte Goldman. Work includes the original Hearst package in 1995 and WTKR's 1994 "TV-3 News" look.

LoConte Goldman's website used to be great but I can't remember the address anymore so I can't find it on archive.org

Also I see on Linda Kane's site that she has some early pitches for the WBZ 2000-era graphics. Given that those were done by Viewpoint Studios (which is still around) I have to assume she was a contract employee for them at the time.

Edited by qunewsguy

31 minutes ago, newsteam13 said:

Now I know who did the graphics and animation for ALL the TEGNA (formerly Gannett) stations...Linda Kane!

Screen Shot 2021-05-20 at 7.32.37 PM.png

This is not accurate. She was brought in as a freelancer at KPNX after they parted ways with their art director long after the launch.

Edited by noggi
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2