Motion Graphics agencies that did news graphics in the late 90s?

JosephH1998

On 11/13/2021 at 2:11 AM, kfc513 said:

The WTVJ look was actually done by Novocom. Not sure about the WESH version, which I'm pretty sure is a ripoff.

Well WESH was Pulitzer-owned back then (Hearst-Argyle brought all the Pulitzer-owned stations and properties by 1998 with the deal being finalized later that year), and according to a description in another YouTube video "Pulitzer had a thing for John Christopher Burns as its graphics client" so its presumably a jcbD package.

Edited by JosephH1998
Minor addition

4 hours ago, JosephH1998 said:

Well WESH was Pulitzer-owned back then (Hearst-Argyle brought all the Pulitzer-owned stations and properties by 1998 with the deal being finalized later that year), and according to a description in another YouTube video "Pulitzer had a thing for John Christopher Burns as its graphics client" so its presumably a jcbD package.

I don't know. I can't see John Christopher Burns doing a direct ripoff of another graphics package like that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/8/2021 at 7:29 AM, 5OnYourSideMan said:

I have no idea who did those graphics. I don't even know who did the 1995 version of WEWS Ohio's Most Watched NewsTeam Graphics as seen in these videos. I don't know if the 1996 version replaced the 1995 version because of seizure concerns.

I also don't even know who did the late 1997 WJW graphics as seen here.

I"m thinking the two versions of the pre-1998 graphics were done in house and changed because of technological upgrades.  It may have been about the time the station adopted non-linear editing (Avid) and obtainted the ability to do more advanced 3D computer animations in-house.

The 1995 original package seemed more analog in nature while the 1997 version was more computer-oriented.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know who designed the 1997 Media General graphics, as well as WFLA's 1995 graphics that they were based on?

Edited by kfc513
Fixed video embeds
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, kfc513 said:

Does anyone know who designed the 1997 Media General graphics, as well as WFLA's 1995 graphics that they were based on?

I'm pretty sure I remember seeing those on Giant Octopus' original website back in the day.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

I'm  sure the Wayback Machine would have some archive of it.

Well Adobe no longer supports Flash Player on any of their sites (effective at the end of 2020).

Edited by JosephH1998
Minor edit

Tough one?, eh. Now do you know which motion graphics design agency did the 1997 WGN News graphics?, the late Steve Ramsey who was WGN-TV's news director at the time had passed away 17 years ago. These graphics were inspired by those used at WGN Sports and were likely done by the same company.

Edited by JosephH1998
Minor mistake

On 8/2/2022 at 9:26 PM, JosephH1998 said:

the late Steve Ramsey who was WGN-TV's news director at the time had passed away 17 years ago.

Also prior to that, Steve Ramsey was news director at KFMB-TV San Diego before coming to WGN-TV in Chicago (which was also a national superstation back then).

15 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Logopedia counts WGN as a client with WGN-TV dating back to 1991, so I believe its them.

You meant a client with TVbD (Television by Design).

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 9/18/2022 at 3:38 AM, JosephH1998 said:

Based on Weeter's suggestion that "It was still entirely possible for a station's in-house graphics department to create an entire news graphics package on their own.", I wonder who did the WNBC 1995 NewsChannel 4 graphics?

The NBC O&O's and CNBC used Pyburn Films in the mid 90's to mid 2000's. From their website it appears that CNBC is still an occasional client.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...