Motion Graphics agencies that did news graphics in the late 90s?

JosephH1998

I guess KUSA-TV also used some variation of TVbD's famous "Balls and Walls" package (sans the globe), before the switch to NBC in September 1995.

Edited by JosephH1998
Additional information
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, JosephH1998 said:

I guess KUSA-TV also used some variation of TVbD's famous "Balls and Walls" package (sans the globe), before the switch to NBC in September 1995.

I'm pretty sure they commissioned that look before anyone else. Here's how it looked in 1992, about a month after they moved into their current building:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Any idea as to who did the WMGM-TV news graphics & opens at the time? (1998), That was after they switched from Gari's "The One for All" to "NBC News Now" (which was originally commissioned for WTVJ NBC6 in 1997).

• Like 1

As someone already mentioned in this thread, LoConte Goldman Design did the Hearst-Argyle camera mandate for their stations including WCVB 5 (ABC), WTAE 4 (ABC), WDTN 2 (ABC-now NBC) and WBAL 11 (NBC) which were only stations using it at that point (June 1998). WDTN 2 continued using it for several years, even after Hearst-Argyle sold the station to Sunrise Television (in exchange for KSBW and WPTZ).

The Hearst-Argyle camera mandate was also used on WISN 12 (ABC) and KMBC 9 (ABC) along with the "Image News" package, HA were the largest owners of ABC stations behind Allbritton Communications back then.

Edited by JosephH1998
Minor changes

Do you know which agency did the pre-Hearst WPTZ graphics?, WPTZ was one of the few Sinclair-owned NBC stations, they sold WPTZ/WNNE and the WFFF (FOX44 Plattsburgh) LMA to Sunrise Television (who in turn sold it to Hearst-Argyle Television, Inc. which the swap becoming official on July 2nd, 1998).

youtu.be/C4_bcow28ok

Edited by JosephH1998
Video link

• 2 weeks later...

Most of the Pulitzer-owned stations used jcbD Design for their news graphics as mentioned earlier (KOAT, WYFF, KCCI, WDSU, WXII, WGAL etc...). By 1998, all of Pulitzer's stations & properties were bought and sold to Hearst-Argyle Television (then owners of WCVB, WISN, WTAE, KMBC, WDTN, WBAL, WAPT, KITV, WPBF, WNAC Fox64 and several others).

Edited by JosephH1998
Additional information
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, JosephH1998 said:

Any idea as to who did the WFIE NBC14 graphics at the time?

That's likely done in-house. Doesn't have any of the telltale flourishes of any of the major firms. By the late 90's AfterEffects was available to most individual stations' art departments.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Any idea as to who did the pre-1998 WEWS graphics?, it lasted until they got rid of the longtime "Circle 5" logo (which lasted for over 30 years) and replaced it with a new logo and graphics done by Novocom.

They debuted the Novocom graphics around late April 1998. But according to a comment on YouTube, they kept the 1995 set until it was replaced in October that year.

Edited by JosephH1998
Minor change
  • Like 1

On 9/5/2021 at 4:07 PM, JosephH1998 said:

Any idea as to who did the pre-1998 WEWS graphics?, they lasted until the got rid of the longtime "Circle 5" logo (which lasted for over 30 years) and replaced it with a new logo and graphics done by Novocom.

They debuted the Novocom graphics around late April 1998. But according to a comment on YouTube, they kept the 1995 set until it was replaced in October that year.

I have no idea who did those graphics. I don't even know who did the 1995 version of WEWS Ohio's Most Watched NewsTeam Graphics as seen in these videos. I don't know if the 1996 version replaced the 1995 version because of seizure concerns.

I also don't even know who did the late 1997 WJW graphics as seen here.

Edited by 5OnYourSideMan

Any idea as to who did the WBRE NBC28 news graphics in the late 90s, or was in done in-house? Despite the fact that it used the Background template used by some NBC affiliates at the time (As well as the WMGM NBC40 news open around the time). WBRE's open is clocked here at 25:16-25:55

It was sometime during the Summer of 1998 when WBRE-TV switched news music packages from Gari's "The One & Only" to "Image News" (which was more common with the Hearst-Argyle stations at the time) and got new graphics, one video from May 19th that year showed the old graphics and music being used. Another from later on in the year (August 27th) showed the new graphics and theme used.

Edited by JosephH1998
Minor change

• 2 months later...

I wonder who did the WESH 1997 NewsChannel 2 graphics?, considering the fact that it was a carbon copy of WTVJ NBC6 graphics (which was done by Novocom) at the same time. Though most of the Pulitzer-owned stations relied on jcbD Design (jacob christopher burns Design) for their news graphics and station look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GcKMmycaOk

Edited by JosephH1998
Correction

6 hours ago, JosephH1998 said:

I wonder who did the WESH 1997 NewsChannel 2 graphics?, considering the fact that it was a carbon copy of WTVJ NBC6 graphics (which was done by TVbD) at the same time. Though most of the Pulitzer-owned stations relied on jcbD Design (jacob christopher burns Design) for their news graphics and station look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GcKMmycaOk

The WTVJ look was actually done by Novocom. Not sure about the WESH version, which I'm pretty sure is a ripoff.

• 1 month later...

Also WPBN/WTOM 7&4 Cadillac/Traverse used a variation of TVbD's famous "Balls and Walls" package, I'm not sure if they used the Media General look when they used Counterpoint as their news package (1998-99)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk0HeMq3jG0

Edited by JosephH1998
Video link

I'll park this here – some more of the Linda Kane look for KWGN from 2000 has made it to YouTube. This was also shortly before a new news director took over who painted everything blue and wanted to make everything look as safe as everything on KUSA. Also, for you WABC fans, there's a peek at Amy Freeze in there before she hit it big.

• Like 3