Motion Graphics agencies that did news graphics in the late 90s?

JosephH1998

Just because something shows up on someone's demo reel or portfolio does not mean they created the entire thing from scratch. If there was some "rule" that you could only include stuff you made 100%, nobody would be able to get a job.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Do you have any idea which motion graphics design agency did the KING-TV news intro & graphics during that time? (late 90s)

I assume these graphics were used from mid 1994 until late 1998 when KING-TV got new graphics and an updated theme (the "K5" logo was italicized in time for KING-TV's 50th Anniversary (where they briefly brought back "King Mike" (originally a creation of Walt Disney))).

On 5/20/2021 at 2:56 PM, C Block said:

Linda Kane did great work. I think that KTLA look was inspirational for a lot of others.

I was others! I used to make my powerpoints in middle school using her templates (orange, blue, green, purple,) and making lower thirds In MS Paint for my titles 😆

im surprised she didn’t include KRON Overture era graphics as well as the first generation KTLA flashpoint era gallery photos.

But oh it’s so nice to see this gallery of the 2005 graphics. It still looks fresh.

• Like 2

On 5/20/2021 at 8:05 PM, noggi said:

This is not accurate. She was brought in as a freelancer at KPNX after they parted ways with their art director long after the launch.

Yes. Troika scraped these together from another campaign they had worked on.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2021 at 3:12 AM, ABC 7 Denver said:

Yes. Troika scraped these together from another campaign they had worked on.

and re-packaged for Nexstar

and re-packaged again for CNN New Day

Will be fun to see where this look gets recycled and sold to next. 

• Like 1

On 5/18/2021 at 6:54 PM, Ntropolis said:

Another to add... LoConte Goldman. Work includes the original Hearst package in 1995 and WTKR's 1994 "TV-3 News" look.

They also did the initial look during KPRC's News 2 Houston era.

I have a 5-10 minute reel of the opens with a production date of October 1994 on the countdown leader. That specific version lasted a few months until they were switched to a slightly different color palate and moved to emphasize the "Where Local News Comes FIrst" branding. Here's an example of that...

I'm not sure they did the work for the opens that were in place for the following two years until the GO look came about.

As for the Goldman part of that firm - I do recall a website for Adrienne Goldman that showcased a lot of her on-air work. That group did the look for WGME (a personal favorite of mine which was heavy on darker colors, including greens that "looked" like a station in Maine) that survived until Sinclair introduced it's branding for non NewsCentral stations in 2004. They also created the WCSH/WLBZ look that ran at the same time and was only removed when the Gannett corporate imaging came about in 2007 or 08.

Edited by NewsStar2

Or even ViewPoint Studios (now Viewpoint Creative) which did news graphics for WLBZ/WCSH, KHOB/KHOG, KOIN, WNYT, WHTM, WZZM, the 1997 graphics redesign for WMUR-TV, WPXI (before they hired Novocom), WHDH, WCVB (before the went to the Hearst-Argyle Camera mandate (done by LoConte Goldman)) and WFXT.

https://vimeo.com/59077835

Edited by JosephH1998
Minor change

On 4/5/2021 at 3:13 AM, JosephH1998 said:

As I know most of the motion graphics agencies that did news graphics for stations (as well as station graphics) such as Novocom (WXYZ (before they hired Giant Octopus), WTVJ, WESH, KFMB, WRC, WPXI, WEWS, etc...), Giant Octopus (WLBT, WCNC, WBBH, WBNS, KPRC, WFLA, WWMT (?)), TVbD (WHAS, KRON, BayTV, KARE, WIVT (and the Ackerley stations WIXT, WUTR), WSBT, WTHR, KUSA, KSNW, KTUL, WBAY, WHP, WXIX, KPTM, CFMT, KSAT, ONN, WMAR, WSAZ etc..), Art Effects LLC (WSB, WAGA) and Quantel Hal (WPTV, WBIR etc...).

To add to that Giant Octopus also did news graphics for WFTS ABC28 judging by their client list here: http://web.archive.org/web/19980623201803/http://www.giantoctopus.com/clntlst.html

Besides WTHR (pre-1997), and WBAY, WGEM-TV also used a variation of TVbD's famous "Balls and Walls" package as did WHP-TV (mid-90s) and WLOX-TV (late-90s).

Edited by JosephH1998
Minor error

Any idea as to who did the WVIT 1998 graphics?, on another thread it was said that "A now-defunct company did the look for WVIT and WVTM at the same time, and they also did a few other NBC affiliates" (That's the only clue that I can give you).

Edited by JosephH1998
Minor error

59 minutes ago, JosephH1998 said:

Any idea as to who did the WVIT 1998 graphics?, on another thread it was said that "A now-defunct company did the look for WVIT and WVTM at the same time, and they also did a few other NBC affiliates" (That's the only clue that I can give you).

In a rare case we do know this. This was an EGAD project! The music — which has somehow never gotten to the NMSA — was done by Kurt Bestor and Sam Cardon (Pinnacle Music), two veterans of Non-Stop; they also wrote the KSL 1998 package.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Samantha said:

In a rare case we do know this. This was an EGAD project! The music — which has somehow never gotten to the NMSA — was done by Kurt Bestor and Sam Cardon (Pinnacle Music), two veterans of Non-Stop; they also wrote the KSL 1998 package.

Thank you!, now I wonder which stations the Dallas-based Electronic Graphics and Design (EGAD) did graphics for at the time (1998) besides WVIT and WVTM? I've tried the Internet Archive Wayback Machine but it doesn't get me any results.

Actually Cinetel Studios did the news graphics for WPTV (an NBC affiliate in West Palm Beach) at the time (late 1990s), although it was included in a reel for Quantel HAL in 1997 (Though I'm not sure who did the WBIR-TV graphics and opens at the same point).

I wonder if Cinetel also did the look of other Scripps-Howard Broadcasting stations? (although WXYZ used Novocom and Giant Octopus for their news opens as mentioned earlier)

Edited by JosephH1998
Forgot to add a question mark at the end of a question.

On 5/31/2021 at 7:34 PM, JosephH1998 said:

Do you know which agency did the WDIV-TV news graphics & opens around the same point

1998 WDIV was done by TVBD. There is one brief version of their 1998 site that was never archived (also featured the original HD launch graphics done for KRON).

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, WRNK said:

Here's another company from the late 90s/early 2000s called Jump Creative.

This was Cinemagic back in the day, right? Decent stuff for the time and I think they were the only company to put out pricing on their website... and they were dirt cheap. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, noggi said:

This was Cinemagic back in the day, right? Decent stuff for the time and I think they were the only company to put out pricing on their website... and they were dirt cheap. 

Yep! We still have all 100 deliverables CD's for the 2002 WFSB graphics package as well🤣. Ah, those were the days...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Do you know which agency did the 1997 WCAU NBC10 news graphics & opens?, these graphics debuted in Fall 1997 after they dropped 615 Music's "Impact" (which they used since the affiliation switch to NBC in September 1995) and introduced a new theme ("NBC10 News Theme" by Eve Songs).

Edited by JosephH1998
Forgot to add "know" to the question
  • Like 1

I have another one for you, do you know who did the WTOV9 news graphics and opens around the same time? These graphics were kept even after they switched the news theme to "This is Your News" (another Frank Gari composition) and lasted until 2000 when Cox Enterprises bought the station (along with WJAC-TV Johnstown, PA) and switched to the WPXI Novocom graphics and theme (615 Music's "Total Coverage").

Josh White Design did the on-air & newsgraphics for WJAR NBC10 in the late 90s, before Josh left for WTVJ in 2000 (around the same time they left their Downtown Miami studios (316 N. Miami Ave) for their new Digital studios in Miramar).

https://vimeo.com/286541456

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TebhAddP6ZY

Edited by JosephH1998