WJLA modified its Logo.

CircleSeven

• CircleSeven changed the title to WJLA modified its Logo.
11 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

I do not like this part of the Sinclair open. The rest of the graphics are okay, but this part of it is just plain ugly. White and blue, ugh.

You prefer the blue, gold, and white that KATV has instead? 

image.png.bb5026dedb584b354a8ee9ae061e61af.png

I don't like any of the white and blue. I've been watching a handful of the stations through NewsOn (neat with a Roku, by the way), and most of them start to open with that blue and white. I just don't like that color combination or that look at all. It would look a lot better if they were using two deeper shades of blue.

Although I don't hate their music as much as I did when it first came out, it's still not Sinclair. The snappier Stephen Arnold stuff they had before was a lot better.

I think they enlarge the abc logo because when when it’s reduced down in size to be a small bug on the screen in the lower right it will reproduce better.  The design still looks crappy though.😄

4 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

Although I don't hate their music as much as I did when it first came out, it's still not Sinclair. The snappier Stephen Arnold stuff they had before was a lot better.

I still hate that 'ding' sting that every Sinclair station uses; it reminds me of both a Windows OS 'ding' and a game show 'ring-in' sound effect rather than something you should hear on a newscast.

1 hour ago, NYPhillynews said:

The DC market deserves a much better ABC Affiliate than 4th rated Sinclair’s WJLA. 

They’re bottom dwelling in the market. Especially considering it competes against WRC. 

Sad what WJLA has become since the sale. 

Could it be more of an issue of prejudice and bias instead of anything Sinclair is doing or not doing? After all, DC votes 90% Democrat.

3 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

Could it be more of an issue of prejudice and bias instead of anything Sinclair is doing or not doing? After all, DC votes 90% Democrat.

Doubtful since it also serves VA and MD and most regular viewers don't take in the news about station groups' political bents day-to-day. They probably just see a lousy newscast that went from big-city quality as it was dating back to the Star/Albritton days, to something you'd see in a small market. Or there isn't much differentiation between them and WBFF (along with what was NC8) like is done between WCVB/WMUR.

ABC's ratings overall certainly don't help their stations that much.

Well Mrschimpf, I don't watch much local news, but I tend to like their newscast here in Columbus. It is easily the least boring of the three.  Their gay guy weatherman helps lighten things up a lot and I think Kendrick is the best anchor in town. I don't know how good of a weatherman Marshall is, but you can't help but like the guy.

Considering that the former Columbus GM who put a lot of what they have now together was running WJLA, I would hope they got a similar infusion.

Don't discount Sinclair being a boogieman in Lefty and establishment circles. Washington DC is a company town and anything that threatens the taxpayer largess they feed off of is not going to be very popular there. Right wing people threaten their good fortune.

4 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

Well Mrschimpf, I don't watch much local news, but I tend to like their newscast here in Columbus. It is easily the least boring of the three.  Their gay guy weatherman helps lighten things up a lot and I think Kendrick is the best anchor in town. I don't know how good of a weatherman Marshall is, but you can't help but like the guy.

Considering that the former Columbus GM who put a lot of what they have now together was running WJLA, I would hope they got a similar infusion.

Don't discount Sinclair being a boogieman in Lefty and establishment circles. Washington DC is a company town and anything that threatens the taxpayer largess they feed off of is not going to be very popular there. Right wing people threaten their good fortune.

I truly doubt it has anything to do with Sinclair being the GOP besties.  Yes, DC is very blue town. However, after how Sinclair dumped Maureen Bunyan & Leon Harris which were (2) prominent black talent in the market.  One could think it has to do with the company politics. Sinclair has gotten lucky over the years by getting Allbritton, Fisher, Freedom and other companies leftovers.  Sinclair has always been a mediocre company with lack luster stations. Now the company hit the big time by getting KOMO-TV & WJLA-TV their two biggest markets ever.   They've been doing every tv station on the cheap side and never had a clue how to run a tv station in a big market.  WJLA was able to beat WUSA9 and hit #1 at 5 &6pm under the old ownership.  They will never be #1 under Sinclair, and when WTTG & WUSA product isn't the best but can pull better numbers than WJLA it said alot.   Sinclair wouldn't be a bad company if they didn't have so much baggage in tote. Hands down WRC/ News 4 has the best news in the market and no wonder it wins!

As for WSYX their best days is behind them and they haven't had a chance since they were owned by Taft Television & Radio Company since the 80s. They've been owned by privately equity companies. AnchorMedia, River City.  The day Sinclair purchase WSYX was a sad day.  Yeah they have some good people, but the product not all that great, but it as mediocre as it parent company.

11 hours ago, Breaking News said:

As for WSYX their best days is behind them and they haven't had a chance since they were owned by Taft Television & Radio Company since the 80s. They've been owned by privately equity companies. AnchorMedia, River City.  The day Sinclair purchase WSYX was a sad day.  Yeah they have some good people, but the product not all that great, but it as mediocre as it parent company.

Sorry to go off topic of the WJLA logo - but I disagree...I think this could be said about WBNS in the TEGNA era, but WSYX/WTTE is a well-cared for station by Sinclair standards.  Yolanda Harris should’ve stayed at WSYX, as it seems WBNS is just so generic and boring these days.  WSYX has invested in talent - Kendrick is the best anchor in town, Ludlow has history in the market and McPeek is likable as you said...

9 hours ago, ttvn2000 said:

Sorry to go off topic of the WJLA logo - but I disagree...I think this could be said about WBNS in the TEGNA era, but WSYX/WTTE is a well-cared for station by Sinclair standards.  Yolanda Harris should’ve stayed at WSYX, as it seems WBNS is just so generic and boring these days.  WSYX has invested in talent - Kendrick is the best anchor in town, Ludlow has history in the market and McPeek is likable as you said...

Despite WBNS being under TEGNA misfortunes- the people in Columbus still watches 10TV and their still #1 in the ratings. Despite Columbus being market #33 it not like Cleveland & Cincinnati where it has (4) newsrooms.  10TV still leads. No it not the family owned station it once was, but the people still watches 10TV.   WSYX & WCMH fighting for #2.  Again all three newsroom have low bar ownership- Nexstar, Sinclair, TEGNA which sucks!  I've always believe Columbus should be a (4) newsroom market, but it sad how Sinclair owns way too much.   For years WSYX made alot of money for Sinclair, but I wouldn't say Kendrick is best anchor in town.  He up there but not the #1.  Ludlow does have history and McMuffin ok, but he not chief meteorologist material.  I do agree Yolanda Harris should've stayed at WSYX.  I was told many people told her not to jump to WBNS- because it was only a matter of time before the Wolfe Family sold the station. She saw it as the legacy 10TV and they pony up the money for her to jump ship.

Logo or not, WJLA's problems are well-rooted into the damage that Sinclair inflicted on them.  Whatever worked in Columbus, Ohio will not work in DC.  WJLA's best days were definitely with Leon Harris and poaching WUSA's Gordon Peterson and Maureen Bunyan.

WJLA's "On Your Side" goes way back to the mid 80s and the Klein&/Jeffrey Osborne campaign.  Someone finally got a high-quality copy of the promo and posted it to YouTube.

And yours truly purchased on ebay one of the 1,000 records they distributed at the end of the campaign.  I'll try and post  the audio one of these days.  The "A" side is the Jeffrey Osborne vocal and the "B" side is the Tom Scott saxophone version.  This promo uses both and has "We're 7" instead of "somebody" before the last line.

3 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

Meh. It doesn't have any kind of a hook. Not at all snappy and too slow paced for my taste. Well-produced, though. I'll give them that.

Definitely well produced. It was probably around the same time Osborne was still on the charts with his "You Should Be Mine (Woo woo)" song.

These TV station promos always seem to have a TV in the right place, at the right time! (usually with the logo, but that's all planned out, for sure!)

Archived