Entercom, Radio.com rebrands as Audacy

tw-804

Surprised no one here mentioned this, but hey, I'll do it.

Bye-bye Entercom (and Radio.com). Hello, Audacy!

Yesterday (March 30th), Entercom and Radio.com were rebranded as Audacy (pronounced "odyssey"). The company will be known as Audacy, Inc., while the radio stations, podcasts and the former Radio.com and its app will be just Audacy. The Entercom name has dated back to the founding of the company in 1968 as Entertainment Communications. Audacy will retain Cadence 13, BetQL, Pineapple Street Studios and recently-acquired Podcorn. Quote below from a Radio Insight article:

Chairman/CEO David Field stated, “We have transformed into a fundamentally different and dramatically enhanced organization and so it is time to embrace a new name and brand identity which better reflects who we have become and our vision for the future, ‘Audacy’ captures our dynamic creativity, outstanding content and innovative spirit as we aspire to build the country’s best audio content and entertainment platform.” 

As part of the rebranding, Audacy has announced it will debut a new podcast with Demi Lovato with more details coming in May. The company will also be launching new shows from Boomer Esiason, Big Tigger, Rich Eisen and another revamp of Loveline. The company is also expanding its Sports Betting platforms with a new partnership with BetMGM.

WCBS Newsradio 880's Steve Scott speaks with Audacy CEO David Field:

Entercom rebrands, changes name to Audacy - WCBSAM: On-Demand - Omny.fm

Variety:

Entercom Changes Name to Audacy, Kills Off Radio.com Brand - Variety

Radio Insight: 

Entercom Rebrands As Audacy - RadioInsight

Inside Radio: 

So Long Radio.com. Entercom Rebrands As Audacy And Sunsets Its App Name In The Process. | Podcast News Daily | insideradio.com

Sports Betting, Podcasts Top Focus As Entercom Becomes Audacy. | Story | insideradio.com

Thoughts?

I turned on WMYX briefly on the way home, and heard a spot advertising their app. Except... here's the problem. The whole time, it sounded like they were saying "Download the Odyssey app." No one but industry people are going to know it's spelled Audacy, and as a result, no one is going to be able to find the friggin' app in the App Store.

I get it, they probably figured that radio is a dated technology, and therefore "Radio.com" was a dated branding. Fine, even though I'd argue that they ARE a radio broadcaster and that Radio.com is a great brand for a radio broadcaster. In any case, I still think using a brand with a unique spelling, but that is a homophone for a common word in the English language... every day people are only going to think of the spelling of the common word in the English language, not their unique "clever" brand.

The first thing I remember when I hear 'odyssey' on the radio?

Adventures in Odyssey, which has been around since 1987 (though Entercom has very few religious stations that carry that show). I will never be able to separate that from what Entercom is now, and even the Odyssey Network on TV that is now Hallmark Channel.

They still have Radio.com as a redirect in the app store to Audacy...but again, how do you see that spelled? And they finally built out this incredibly nice site in Radio.com instead of having Joe's Web Hosting/so many random web companies like they had in the old days, and now all this brand equity there is gone now for this weird name.

You know who should rebrand? Nexstar. It seems they think the rest of the country loves Texas so much that they want that whole star theme in their face all the time. That has to be the dumbest name and their logo is also pretty stupid too.

They should have kept the Media General name.

On 3/31/2021 at 5:36 PM, tw-804 said:

Surprised no one here mentioned this, but hey, I'll do it.

Bye-bye Entercom (and Radio.com). Hello, Audacy!

Yesterday (March 30th), Entercom and Radio.com were rebranded as Audacy (pronounced "odyssey"). The company will be known as Audacy, Inc., while the radio stations, podcasts and the former Radio.com and its app will be just Audacy. The Entercom name has dated back to the founding of the company in 1968 as Entertainment Communications. Audacy will retain Cadence 13, BetQL, Pineapple Street Studios and recently-acquired Podcorn. Quote below from a Radio Insight article:

WCBS Newsradio 880's Steve Scott speaks with Audacy CEO David Field:

Entercom rebrands, changes name to Audacy - WCBSAM: On-Demand - Omny.fm

Variety:

Entercom Changes Name to Audacy, Kills Off Radio.com Brand - Variety

Radio Insight: 

Entercom Rebrands As Audacy - RadioInsight

Inside Radio: 

So Long Radio.com. Entercom Rebrands As Audacy And Sunsets Its App Name In The Process. | Podcast News Daily | insideradio.com

Sports Betting, Podcasts Top Focus As Entercom Becomes Audacy. | Story | insideradio.com

Thoughts?

I love the new name and a new audio logo as well. I did my faithful recreation of the new Audacy audio logo.

Archived