KAVU New Graphics

CircleSeven

33 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Looks very good on them, especially for a market that size.

Does Victoria still have a lot of adjacent stations on cable since it's smack dab between the Houston, San Antonio and Corpus Christi markets?

They used to - it was KAVU/25/NBC and KXIX/KVCT/19/ABC, then KVCT went off the air and KAVU migrated toward ABC and when KVCT came back on the air, they were Fox.

IIRC, they had KPRC, KUHT, KRIV and KHTV from Houston; KMOL, KENS and KWEX from San Antonio, and not sure from Corpus. 

Currently the only out of market stations are KENS, KUHT and KLRN... (Hint: zap2it.com is your friend...)

Jim

1 hour ago, compubit said:

They used to - it was KAVU/25/NBC and KXIX/KVCT/19/ABC, then KVCT went off the air and KAVU migrated toward ABC and when KVCT came back on the air, they were Fox.

IIRC, they had KPRC, KUHT, KRIV and KHTV from Houston; KMOL, KENS and KWEX from San Antonio, and not sure from Corpus. 

Currently the only out of market stations are KENS, KUHT and KLRN... (Hint: zap2it.com is your friend...)

Jim

I recently did major work on both the KAVU and KVCT Wikipedia articles (KAVU appeared on Did You Know in January). KAVU and KVCT both had financial problems at about the same time and wound up connected to the First Victoria National Bank; it had an ownership stake in channel 19 and had won a suit with channel 25 investors.

1955080388_PlansforTVStation.thumb.jpg.cacdad55bd470ae8e78b67fafcacfb08.jpg

This is pretty much what happened. Withers bought KAVU and KVCT's non-license assets, combined them as KAVU (which spent a few years as a dual affiliate of ABC and NBC), and dumped the license off on a religious operator. It failed twice as a Christian-oriented independent and then KAVU LMA'd it out to run Fox in 1994. Withers began a side investment in LPTVs that originated the rest of the Victoria Television Group.

Gill Sans is not my favorite. The star and play symbol is rather contrived, and it's small. But it's an upgrade over the longtime pie piece.

• 1 month later...

Apologies if I go long on this one... I've always been interested in the Victoria market - It was one of my early targets for DX'ing when I was a kid so I am somewhat familiar with the place.

On 3/31/2021 at 9:08 PM, compubit said:

Jim

I recall going in the mid 2000s and WOAI, KENS, KPRC & KUHT were the out of market affiliates. They only had local ABC/FOX/Telemundo & Univision on cable at that point. I think their NBC affiliate (the "new" KMOL) had been on for a while but hadn't been picked up on cable at that point. I don't recall ever seeing Corpus Christi stations on any of the lineups.

I'm still surprised KENS is still a hold-out on cable. KXTS is available through Suddenlink's basic tier.  Alternatively, I think KAVU still has a decent presence on the areas surrounding Victoria. IIRC, I think they're still on cable in Wharton or El Campo in Wharton County... maybe Bay City and Palacios, closer to the coast in Matagorda County which are definitely in the Houston market.

On 3/31/2021 at 2:04 PM, Viper550 said:

That throwback to their early-90's design is way better than the "I just learned how to use Photoshop 2.0" logo they had before, which I'm shocked they kept for that long.

The now-previous logo came about after the purchase by Saga and when they switched to This Is Your News in 1999. I recall they simply placed it over the center of the background of the news set but left the rest of the set in place until the following year when they picked up a Gil Jimenez product that lasted until 2012.

Design-wise, that logo actually made sense, in a way, since it likely was a play on the area's longtime trade marketing as the "Golden Crescent". That branding is much less promiment in the region as of late and seemingly has been supplanted by references to "The Crossroads". Even the station brands it's online presence as "Crossroads Today". The initial execution of it looked better to me as the number filled most of the shape with nothing else within it, but that changed in 2001 or so when they started putting the call letters/city in the bottom part and it just didn't look great. That and using the "Newscenter 25" branding on things that were not newscasts are things that I've never been fond of.

As for the current look - I really do like it. The star connects back not only to the 90s era logo but their initial branding as the "Star Station" when they signed on the 80s. 

Anyway, I will actually be in Victoria in a few weeks. I'm interested in seeing if they've ironed out some of the kinks in the broadcast as well as how the branding has been implemented on their other stations, including those without newscasts.

Archived