2021 NFL Season

ddaniels20

Starting with the 2021 season, the NFL regular season will now consist of 17 games (18 weeks). The extra game will feature "teams from opposing conferences that finished in the same place within their division the previous season".

In addition, the preseason has been reduced to 3 games per team.

With this formal announcement, Super Bowl LVI will now be played on February 13, which leads me to wonder whether NBC will have to trade another Super Bowl, presumably to FOX, as this will be during the second weekend of the 2022 Olympics.

On 3/30/2021 at 3:57 PM, JCB4TV said:

With this formal announcement, Super Bowl LVI will now be played on February 13, which leads me to wonder whether NBC will have to trade another Super Bowl, presumably to FOX, as this will be during the second weekend of the 2022 Olympics.

That was the whole point for the trade with CBS to get 2022 Super Bowl, in coincide with the Winter Games.

They're going to air Super Bowl in between the olympic coverage on NBC. There'll be no retrading.

3 hours ago, ddaniels20 said:

Starting with the 2021 season, the NFL regular season will now consist of 17 games (18 weeks). The extra game will feature "teams from opposing conferences that finished in the same place within their division the previous season".

In addition, the preseason has been reduced to 3 games per team.

Wonder how that will work out television doubleheaderwise. Under the old format, CBS had 8 exclusive doubleheader Sundays, and Fox had 8 exclusive doubleheader Sundays, and week 17 was a doubleheader Sunday for both of them (giving them 9 total each).

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Viper550 said:

Reports suggesting that NBC may be Amazon's production partner for TNF

1) If they do, I hope they bring back the music theme used during the short-lived 2016-2017 NBC TNF run.

2) I don't see any way Al Michaels realistically does TNF. He was already overburdened by travel in the 2016-2017 TNF contract, which led to Mike Tirico taking over many of the games both on Thursdays and on also on Sundays around Thanksgiving week.

7 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

1) If they do, I hope they bring back the music theme used during the short-lived 2016-2017 NBC TNF run.

2) I don't see any way Al Michaels realistically does TNF. He was already overburdened by travel in the 2016-2017 TNF contract, which led to Mike Tirico taking over many of the games both on Thursdays and on also on Sundays around Thanksgiving week.

Should this happen, I foresee Tirico calling these games.

• 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

Preseason began in earnest yesterday. Lions are using the Bally graphics.

The Lions preseason coverage seems to be using Bally Sports graphics

At least they fixed up how they're doing football with the Bally dashboard (apparently they were putting the downage in the ticker area. Now it's more of a tab above the team. I would have personally used the tab widget they've used for shots on goal and pitch counts)

Vikings are using the current Fox scoreboard, as well as the Falcons with their move to WAGA.

I would think the Bengals *might* use the Bally set since the flagship of the network and all of the affiliates but 2 are Sinclair stations, but nope. Looks like a team production more than anything else. The Bengals literally made smallest updates to their bug (flattened it, made some of the borders white) possible. The supers are new, but that's about it.

(also, never mind that at least one Bengals affiliate dumped out of the LA Galaxy/MNUFC match in the middle of it)

capture_20210814_193417.jpg

capture_20210814_193843.jpg

That Dallas package is giving me strong "NBC Thursday Night Football" vibes.

Chiefs have gone from CBS to NBC with their move to KSHB

Tampa Bay got rid of the swordsand brought back the old "put the scoreboard on the side of the screen that play is moving" behaviour too

18 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

Did you mean Chiefs?

It's preseason for me too.

Seeing the Chargers not use multiple eras of CBS graphics at once (or scuffed Monday Night Football) is a nice change of pace.

Meanwhile, Colts and Seahawks are the same as 2019, but the Panthers have finally stopped using ACC on Raycom Sports hand-me-downs 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived