Gray Constructing "Studio City" Outside Atlanta

tyrannical bastard

13 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Gray is planning to build it's own version of "Television City" on the site of a former GM facility in Doraville, GA.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/new-filming-studios-mixed-use-development-approved-former-gm-plant-site/5DXNCWUWCFF27CIKNZ4IZLQ4Z4/

I mean hey, it's undeveloped land and at the end of the day this means jobs for people which is great.

If I had to have one concern, We see so many mega broadcasters with money mistakes/woes and Gray has largely avoided them. "Studio City" isn't going to be their "Bally Sports", is it?

Now if Sinclair was doing the same thing, it would be the answer to the fears that they will begin hubbing newscasts and shutting down local operations.

Hopefully Gray isn't mulling the same thing, but is really trying to diversify their programming since Atlanta already has a large production base.

3 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Gray is planning to build it's own version of "Television City" on the site of a former GM facility in Doraville, GA.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/new-filming-studios-mixed-use-development-approved-former-gm-plant-site/5DXNCWUWCFF27CIKNZ4IZLQ4Z4/

This reeks of all kinds of screwed up priorities. Gray specifically underfunds their Creative Departments. They went though massive layoffs after acquiring Raycom and yet they're spending hundreds of millions of this crap!? This angers me to no end! 

Gray's taking advantage of the amount of television and film production that takes place around Atlanta. That's a priority worth chasing. Unless the film industry decides to move away from Atlanta, this facility will print money from Netflix and Amazon from the moment it opens.

7 minutes ago, Weeters said:

Gray's taking advantage of the amount of television and film production that takes place around Atlanta. That's a priority worth chasing. Unless the film industry decides to move away from Atlanta, this facility will print money from Netflix and Amazon from the moment it opens.

To say nothing of other studios and networks...

7 minutes ago, Weeters said:

They've also had a money printer in PowerNation that Raycom had forever that everybody didn't pay attention to during the merger, so this could be a facility partly to give them a home too. It's a smart move to diversify, especially in Atlanta, and shows that Vuit remains a slow but important asset to them.

49 minutes ago, Weeters said:

One other possibility that hasn't been mentioned yet but one of the things that Gray could utilize the facilities for is to do its own syndicated shows rather than outsourcing them.

There's a lot of potential around that land that Gray is tapping into that I seriously doubt that the film industry will want to leave Atlanta or the state of Georgia anytime soon.

2 hours ago, dman748 said:

One other possibility that hasn't been mentioned yet but one of the things that Gray could utilize the facilities for is to do its own syndicated shows rather than outsourcing them.

There's a lot of potential around that land that Gray is tapping into that I seriously doubt that the film industry will want to leave Atlanta or the state of Georgia anytime soon.

Especially since Raycom had their own efforts...they may have not been the greatest or the most visible, but stations aired them and they were a way to keep more profits rather than more expensive outside programming.

Tupelo Honey, acquired from Raycom handles a lot of these, and could do even more from Atlanta down the road

https://www.tupelohoney.net/what-we-do/

4 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Especially since Raycom had their own efforts...they may have not been the greatest or the most visible, but stations aired them and they were a way to keep more profits rather than more expensive outside programming.

Tupelo Honey, acquired from Raycom handles a lot of these, and could do even more from Atlanta down the road

https://www.tupelohoney.net/what-we-do/

Speaking of Raycom, that could very well be a good opportunity to breathe new life into Raycom Sports. Gray plans to have nearly 10 seperate facilities (studios, 9 of them to be exact) it'd be a perfect opportunity to tap into Raycom Sports and bring them new life into it.

10 minutes ago, channel2 said:

Do these in-house alternatives to syndication get any ratings? They're there to save a buck but at what long-term cost?

When Scripps tried that. That didn't go over too well. This is why @ColtFromGulfcoast's idea makes logical sense in my opinion.

On 3/30/2021 at 1:56 PM, Weeters said:

And, from a discussion with a friend, they may use this new studio as an opportunity to hub all of Gray's creative departments like Meredith does.

23 hours ago, dman748 said:

When Scripps tried that. That didn't go over too well. This is why @ColtFromGulfcoast's idea makes logical sense in my opinion.

The audience is lower, but so are production costs to such a degree that the profit margin is wider. 

On 3/31/2021 at 12:51 AM, channel2 said:

Do these in-house alternatives to syndication get any ratings? They're there to save a buck but at what long-term cost?

I think the only one that has done good was RTM since that went national after a year or 2 after it debut on Scripps, Gray & Cox TV station. DBL from TEGNA isn't that very good I wish that was canceled the other TEGNA shows failed Sister Circle only lasted 2 & half years, Sing Like A Star only had one season maybe it is now just a local show for WWL in N.O. where the show came from Sony bought those shows. DBL has some TV stations that signed on to it Sister Circle & Sing Like A Star didn't.

Scripps has The List largely on their stations few outside Scripps airs The List which WXMI Fox17 only airs it on the weekend 11:30AM Sun. Media General owned Hollywood Today Live which was largely MG & Fox O&O's that aired the shows which was on the MyNet TV stations that Fox owned. I did like HTL was a good show Fox also test run the show in the summer of 2014 before MG & Fox picked it up for fall of 2015 Nexstar canceled it in spring of 2017.

Archived