YouTube discussion

SoFloTVClassics

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

It appears several game show channels have been terminated in recent weeks on YouTube. Among them is the Fun & Games Channel run by the late David Downs, who died in late 2019. It appears that a British "Anti-piracy" company contracted with Sony to remove Jeopardy! episodes. David's channels were very popular with game show fans until his passing, so it's a shame.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

It appears several game show channels have been terminated in recent weeks on YouTube. Among them is the Fun & Games Channel run by the late David Downs, who died in late 2019. It appears that a British "Anti-piracy" company contracted with Sony to remove Jeopardy! episodes. David's channels were very popular with game show fans until his passing, so it's a shame.

Sony as a whole seems to be one of the most strict about copyright. I had a commercial compilation with a 1997 Burger King commercial that used  Foreigner’s “Urgent” that got blocked by Sony Music (no strikes).

I think it’s become common knowledge that Jeopardy eps are a no-no on YouTube.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Ntropolis said:

Sony as a whole seems to be one of the most strict about copyright. I had a commercial compilation with a 1997 Burger King commercial that used  Foreigner’s “Urgent” that got blocked by Sony Music (no strikes).

I think it’s become common knowledge that Jeopardy eps are a no-no on YouTube.

As another poster said in the past, you could use a Sony-owned show if you just changed the title. Not anymore it seems. I guess the British company Sony contracts with found a way to set off the algorithms. 

SME has always been strict about copyright.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

This would be the reason SPT and CBSMV cleared out a whole lotta WoF, J! And Judge Judy content:

https://deadline.com/2022/07/pluto-tv-adds-judge-judy-streaming-channel-wheel-of-fortune-jeopardy-1235061482/

Hopefully it’s not the same limited episode pools that GSN got stuck with. 

I don't know if this is the main reason why these takedowns occurred. Sony and CBS have always been strict with J!, WOF and JJ long before these channels and content were made available. David Downs's and Sam Mitchell's channels were terminated about Memorial Day.

Fremantle does a better approach by blocking instead of striking, meaning no harm to the users. They've done this every time new episodes are set to debut on TPIR the Barker Era channel.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, VHSgoodiesWA said:

Too bad that the late David Downs' legacy has been wiped from YouTube. That is why I've been on the fence on posting any 'Price' episodes as I now know Pluto has a 'channel' with both Barker and Carey-era episodes.

It looks like some of his stuff was retained by folks who knew it was coming; Ben from The Oddity Archive is uploading non-game show stuff from the collection on his Archive Annex channel for instance.

18 minutes ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

I don't know if this is the main reason why these takedowns occurred. Sony and CBS have always been strict with J!, WOF and JJ long before these channels and content were made available. David Downs's and Sam Mitchell's channels were terminated about Memorial Day.

It's certainly a part of it though; you'll never notice any of NBCU/Multimedia's 90s shows on there because Nosey has been pretty consistent about getting those talk shows on any AVOD channel possible. It's just a part of those two finally realizing there's free money and viewers to be had putting it on Pluto, and TPIR was a great test of that thinking. I know I've stopped on the Pluto court show channel a few times to catch a few old Judge Judy episodes.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

It looks like some of his stuff was retained by folks who knew it was coming; Ben from The Oddity Archive is uploading non-game show stuff from the collection on his Archive Annex channel for instance.

It's certainly a part of it though; you'll never notice any of NBCU/Multimedia's 90s shows on there because Nosey has been pretty consistent about getting those talk shows on any AVOD channel possible. It's just a part of those two finally realizing there's free money and viewers to be had putting it on Pluto, and TPIR was a great test of that thinking. I know I've stopped on the Pluto court show channel a few times to catch a few old Judge Judy episodes.

I 've watched the Pluto Courtroom channel a few times. I enjoyed seeing Judge Mills Lane, Swift Justice with Nancy Grace and the first season of Hot Bench on there. I'm not sure if Judge Joe Brown is on there.

2 hours ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

I 've watched the Pluto Courtroom channel a few times. I enjoyed seeing Judge Mills Lane, Swift Justice with Nancy Grace and the first season of Hot Bench on there. I'm not sure if Judge Joe Brown is on there.

Judge Joe Brown is not on there.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This is an idea I have had for a while now. I may so something similar in a future video on my YouTube for some newscasts. Would you watch it? These are the local Pittsburgh Newscasts (3 Screen), and Washington DC (4 Screens) but I can do this for other cities too. Tell me what You think of this idea.

BTW, My Youtube Is: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLYQHTCr8M59QQ-J4lvSj7g

test Screenshot 2022-08-23 16-08-19.png

test Screenshot 2022-08-23 16-29-18.png

Edited by Kenneth Kissel
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

A dark, gloomy Halloween...access to my Internet Archive channel was disabled this morning. :classic_sad: Looks like the VHS hobby is going on an even-longer hiatus than I thought. Unfortunately, my hobby may even end without any new videos uploaded.

AVTB seems to be OK for now.

Edited by VHSgoodiesWA
  • Sad 5

6 hours ago, VHSgoodiesWA said:

A dark, gloomy Halloween...access to my Internet Archive channel was disabled this morning. :classic_sad: Looks like the VHS hobby is going on an even-longer hiatus than I thought. Unfortunately, my hobby may even end without any new videos uploaded.

AVTB seems to be OK for now.

Warner Brothers Discovery went on a purge of Looney Tunes content on the Archive last week. Could it have been content from them that led to your channel being removed?

Edited by Newsjunkie24
  • Like 2

All the more galling as there are a certain few channels which refuse to credit anyone uploading 100+ videos a day (most of them swiped from ntropolis and RetroOntario and the like) and which attract only the annoying 'channel number/current owner' comment crowd. They've been polluting my algorithm as of late, and it drives me crazy.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

All the more galling as there are a certain few channels which refuse to credit anyone uploading 100+ videos a day (most of them swiped from ntropolis and RetroOntario and the like) and which attract only the annoying 'channel number/current owner' comment crowd. They've been polluting my algorithm as of late, and it drives me crazy.

Are you talking about Steven Walsh? That guy gets on my nerves (and as someone who speaks with Ntropolis regularly, I can definitely confirm Steven grinds his gears as well). 

Yesterday on my classic video channel, 31 Rewind (shameless plug: please subscribe, as I have lots of unique content on the way), I uploaded a set of KSAT breaks from 1988. Not even 10 minutes later he had the legal ID up from that video on his channel. It was a late night post too so it makes me wonder if this guy even sleeps. His titles all follow the same formula: “(CALL) id (YEAR)” and have nothing in the description. Not even a credit/courtesy to the original upload. THAT part frustrates me the most - does not take much effort to credit the original uploader if you feel the need to do this, considering that it costs money to source the tapes, buy the right equipment to digitize them, actually digitizing them (a 6 hour tape will probably take, gasp!, 6 hours to digitize) and then time editing and uploading them.

People like him and KLMO (I have no shame in calling him out - it’s VERY well known here in the community I despise the guy since the day he ripped off my main channel branding on one of his secondary channels) get on my nerves and frustrate me, but ultimately there’s little I can do.

Those two are also THE reason I watermark my videos now. I hate doing it, because it takes away from the purity of the content. But I also don’t regret doing it, as it’s easy now to keep track of where my stuff gets used, and I’ve been surprised to see where some of it has ended up too!

Edited by sanewsguy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, sanewsguy said:

Are you talking about Steven Walsh? That guy gets on my nerves (and as someone who speaks with Ntropolis regularly, I can definitely confirm Steven grinds his gears as well). And I'm very sorry you got hit nearly immediately last night.

Glad you said it; I don't like dropping names in case someone here likes them, but there's nothing worse than a channel with no theming that just grabs things via a YouTube downloader, screencapture, or 'Android pointed at TV/PC' without any proper credit. It makes all the archivist channels in it for the passion look terrible when others steal their work.

10 hours ago, TServo2049 said:

VHSgoodiesWA, I can view your VHSgoodiesWA3 Archive channel just fine. Everything seems intact. Was it some other account you got locked out of, or did you get everything sorted out?

The account was disabled from posting any more videos. I should have worded it better. Still, very disappointing, but it is what it is.

Besides, my life is too busy for VHS digitizing. I expect Christmas uploads to AVTB YouTube will be lower than any other year since I started digitizing 7 yrs. ago. I'll be lucky to finish 10 full tapes, even during winter break for most schools. I'm substitute teaching 3-5 days a week in local elementary schools + working pizza deliveries on weekends for another 12-14 hrs./week added on to subbing.

• Like 2

On 11/1/2022 at 6:27 AM, sanewsguy said:

Are you talking about Steven Walsh? That guy gets on my nerves (and as someone who speaks with Ntropolis regularly, I can definitely confirm Steven grinds his gears as well). 

Yesterday on my classic video channel, 31 Rewind (shameless plug: please subscribe, as I have lots of unique content on the way), I uploaded a set of KSAT breaks from 1988. Not even 10 minutes later he had the legal ID up from that video on his channel. It was a late night post too so it makes me wonder if this guy even sleeps. His titles all follow the same formula: “(CALL) id (YEAR)” and have nothing in the description. Not even a credit/courtesy to the original upload. THAT part frustrates me the most - does not take much effort to credit the original uploader if you feel the need to do this, considering that it costs money to source the tapes, buy the right equipment to digitize them, actually digitizing them (a 6 hour tape will probably take, gasp!, 6 hours to digitize) and then time editing and uploading them.

People like him and KLMO (I have no shame in calling him out - it’s VERY well known here in the community I despise the guy since the day he ripped off my main channel branding on one of his secondary channels) get on my nerves and frustrate me, but ultimately there’s little I can do.

Those two are also THE reason I watermark my videos now. I hate doing it, because it takes away from the purity of the content. But I also don’t regret doing it, as it’s easy now to keep track of where my stuff gets used, and I’ve been surprised to see where some of it has ended up too!

There was also a YouTube channel named Alton Wright that was doing the same thing, only with PBS TV stations. He hasn't uploaded anything in over a year & seems to have given up on the channel.

• 2 months later...

First post here. Apparently there's this company called LDS Affiliate US that blocked a video of mine over using a Sticklets ad from 1986. This might affect the VHS community in a way since I've seen a lot of users have that ad in one of their tapes.

If you're not in the US, the video with the ad in it is blocked for you.

On 1/18/2023 at 6:52 PM, gsrecaps said:

First post here. Apparently there's this company called LDS Affiliate US that blocked a video of mine over using a Sticklets ad from 1986. This might affect the VHS community in a way since I've seen a lot of users have that ad in one of their tapes.

If you're not in the US, the video with the ad in it is blocked for you.

NorthernIndianaTVArchives has closed his two YT accounts and is uploading only on Internet Achive in protest of the LDS copyright claims he's been given.

My guess is that your claim came from someone involved in the production of the commercial, and used the LDS as a way to stake a copyright claim while remaining anonymous. Back in 2013, a number of commercial videos were claimed by people using that method, and the sidecar used in much of the claims? WWE!

Edited by hmaxhanson